Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:26   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Crazy driver
K750i is an excellent VFM but do take care of the joystick.
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:40   #1952
Team-BHP Support

Folks

Am wondering between a dopod c720w or a sony p1i

Any suggestions between the two

You can forget about Nokia after my experience
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:15   #1953
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Crazy driver
K750i is an excellent VFM but do take care of the joystick.
Anything in particular i should avoid doing? Won't play games and all, so joystick is just for navigation. Will it last that way?
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:24   #1954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Anything in particular i should avoid doing? Won't play games and all, so joystick is just for navigation. Will it last that way?
Nope not really, the joystick can give way in 3 months time or in 1 years time. Even only navigation may spoil it. The thing is dust not use. If dust enters the gap it obstructs the movement.
Old 24th September 2007, 11:59   #1955
BHPian

Ram, IMO provission for additional memory is not necessary in Iphone , when it already comes bundled with 8 GB memory.

Windows Mobile based smart phones have a niche but growing base even in India. High initial cost was a deterrent but now prices are falling. All the Dopods, O2 s, Imates , HTCs , HPs are windows mobile based. ( gurus, correct me if I am wrong )
Old 24th September 2007, 12:29   #1956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Folks

Am wondering between a dopod c720w or a sony p1i

It does look good. I'm sure you'll be acquiring this on a business trip.

Windows based phones, generally, and esp touch screens are known to lose out on battery life - the one area where the Sony-Ericsson will triumph.
Old 24th September 2007, 12:31   #1957
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for a phone with
- a very good organiser (contacts, todo, calendar)
- talk time around 5 hrs
- bluetooth (even better if it comes with a headset)
- not too bulky
- budget 15K tops

I don't need
- FM
- Music Player
- Video player
- Games
- Capability for running external applications
- Internet access
- Camera
- Snob value

I understand that some of the above could be default features in phones that suit my requirement. The point is I'm not finicky about these features.

Please give me some options.
Old 24th September 2007, 14:50   #1958
Senior - BHPian

@shuvc...Nokia E61 or E62 but it is a little bulky, though the latest in this line E61i is much lighter.
Old 24th September 2007, 15:45   #1959
BHPian

Just bought the treo 680 and I think it should be called the daddy of PDA phones. So it has a VGA camera and the battery life is not best in class but its a pure business phone and its organizer capabilities are simply astounding. A full QWERTY keypad, touch screen and stylus, with loads of third party software and apps out there, it is a must-have. I considered the Blackberry Curve as well but the additional subscription required put me off. Also, barring fantastic email functionality, the Blackberry's browsing and organizer are just average. On the contrary transfer speeds on the treo are fantastic and can syncronize up to 8 email accounts, comes pre-loaded with document viewer et al. I had always heard of Palm's capabilities, now that I'm using one, I'm hooked and totally convinced. The best part, at approximately 25k it's a fantastic deal!

Cheers!
Old 24th September 2007, 15:57   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Duplicate Post .

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th September 2007 at 15:59.
Old 24th September 2007, 16:19   #1961
Team-BHP Support

shuvc - look at the moto ming.
Old 24th September 2007, 17:15   #1962
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
LCD screen of my Nokia 3230 is scratched when I kept my watch besides it in car. Any inputs on how this can be corrected/repaired if possible?
Go to any Nokia Care Centre and get the 3230's outer skin replaced. It's not your LCD that's scratched only the plastic outer cover that's part of the outer skin. Then use a good ScratchGard.
End of problem
Old 24th September 2007, 17:25   #1963
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Ram, IMO provission for additional memory is not necessary in Iphone , when it already comes bundled with 8 GB memory.
This is probably a good place for me to rave and rant a little about Apple iPhone vs. Nokia N95. So please indulge me.

The iPhone is totally overpriced for technology that is lagging behind the Nokia N95. The touch screen is a curiosity, nothing else.

How many people prefer a greasy touch screen to a nice keyboard? Not me, certainly.

The Nokia N95 has WiFi SIP VoIP integration. The iPhone?

Paired with a Bluetooth keyboard, the Nokia N95 8GB can, for short periods, replace phone, camera, camcorder, music player, navigation device, laptop, games console and Blackberry, among others. ...and paired with a TV too it's even better!

In most regards the Nokia N95 easily outclasses the iPhone.
The N95 is also a great web browser. It is 3G ready. By the time the iPhone is ready for 3G it will be costlier even.

A huge volume of video (nearly every Bollywood song) is available on Youtube video. What can the iPhone do here?

Anything outside of JavaScript does not work on the iPhone.
Even Apple's own QuickTime that requires a browser plugin does not work on the iPhone.
And what about Adobe Flash and Shockwave, Windows Media and Real embedded and streaming audio and video, client-side Java applets, and scaleable vector graphics? Apple iPod is really really backward man!

Nokia's Symbian/S60 is way better than Apple's OS X in many ways. It supports more hardware and uses memory and CPU power sparingly compared to iPhone's OS X. Naturally this translates to longer battery usability.

The Nokia N95 is usually bought for its features by people who understand computers and modding. Most of India's IT whiz-kids are like that !

N95 people usually mod and customize them heavily and have an in-depth idea of software and computers.

The iPhone is for grandmothers. There's no 5 megapixel camera with optical zoom, mechanical shutter and Carl Zeiss Tessar lens. There's no GPS either.
The iPhone has a dreary 2 megapixel camera, that too without flash and without autofocus. It's in the league of the old N91.

The iPhone cannot do MMS, and you can't add your own applications to extend functionality. You also, apparently, cannot swap the battery nor the SIM card.

IMHO, the only market that the iPhone disrupts, if that, is Apple's iPod market. And not in India which is full choc-a-bloc with cheap Taiwanese MP3 players.

The Apple iPhone is prehistoric. The Americans should stick to what they do best -- make low-tech Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Old 24th September 2007, 17:39   #1964
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The Apple iPhone is prehistoric. The Americans should stick to what they do best -- make low-tech Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
This isn't about USA or technology in the USA. It's more about Steve
Job's reality distortion field - Reality distortion field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Apple Fanboi's (people who drink the Apple Kool-Aid) will always pay a premium for Apple Products. Apple's business model is built around this - in my opinion.

Take the IPod - who would pay close to 70$ for a battery replacement?
The IPhone goes even one step further. The battery is welded. So
replacing it will be enough more difficult.
Old 24th September 2007, 18:35   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
This is probably a good place for me to rave and rant a little about Apple iPhone vs. ...

The Apple iPhone is prehistoric. ...
You said it, Ram! My feelings exactly. The iPhone is definitely not the killer-app (well, device) the iPod was. OK, it is a fashion statement (for how long, God knows). But a guy who appreciates good tech in a phone would not touch the iPhone with a ten-foot pole.

At the price they are offering it at (abroad), it is a good deal, vis-a-vis the comparable offerings from Nokia, SE etc. But It would still be a step behind as far as the tech is concerned (taking just the example of a lower-to-medium-end Nokia running on Symbian S60 v3).

My 2 cents.

Last edited by hydrashok : 24th September 2007 at 18:42.

Most Viewed