Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 21:58   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
yes the HTC Kaiser is also known as the HTC Tytn II.
Correct. Officially known as the HTC P4550, the consumer branding is Tytn II and the internal model name is Kaiser.

Quote:
it costs about $850 USD shipped to your doorstep in USA and if im not wrong its 3250 AED in UAE
Bloody close - it was 3,150 for the Gitex launch. Thankfully I got a piece at the 'official' launch - the phone isnt commercially available yet since it has to be 'arabized' - optionally removable arabic software plus un-removable arabic-english keyboard. The latter becomes a pain when you need to find a character on the small keyboard, so I'm lucky to pick up an english-only version.

I'm quite impressed by the GPS on the unit - for what its worth I kept it on while on the drive to work and it worked flawlessly, the speeds shown matching what was shown on my speedo, the turns coming up with pretty good accuracy (give or take 10 - 15 m) etc. Given that I was using pretty lousy GPS software (Destinator 6 evaluation version - I will buy after I try out all available PDA software) that was pretty impressive.

The 3 mp camera takes good pictures, but I'm not one for pics. Video calls are good and the receiver sees fairly good images of you, in place of the slightly smudgy pics on the Tytn (Jasjam).

Pushmail using MS Exchange Push works flawlessly, I havent tried Blackberry connect yet because a Blackberry license costs money (that too, every month!) unlike the MS Exchange.

One major grouse that normal users WILL have is the proprietory 11-pin Audio Jack - Sync, Charge and Audio outlet are all combined into ONE mini-usb jack. This is very good for aesthetics, but bad news if you're an audio junkie. Help isnt too far away, though - I got a truly funky Motorola ROKR (or is it KROKR?) stereo bluetooth headset with the unit so who gives a damn about the audio jack?

This unit features Button-flow, which is the button-based equivalent of the Touch-Flo seen on the HTC Touch. That thing is very gimmicky, so I'm not very impressed by it though most people use it to show off.

The Qualcomm chip doesnt seem as fast as its advertized clock-speed rating - the 'slower' Samsung 400 mhz chip on the Tytn is almost as good. No big surprises there.

Phone reception is pretty decent. I will have official results when we review the logs of the field-test software on my phone, but user-level feedback is that it is up there with the rest of the phone-only phones, none of which support HSDPA+HSUPA anyway.

Overall its an initial 5-Star rating. It doesnt get better than this - GO FOR IT!!! - it really is the ultimate PDA Phone so far. It has everything a person might need, and then some!
Old 11th September 2007, 22:11   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
yes the HTC Kaiser is also known as the HTC Tytn II.
it costs about $850 USD shipped to your doorstep in USA and if im not wrong its 3250 AED in UAE
steer, congrats for your new phone. was this the pre-order that we were discussing about at coimbatore??

btw, is your old phone lined up for the "the giveaway thread", if yes, let me have the first right of refusal...
Old 11th September 2007, 23:11   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
steer, congrats for your new phone. was this the pre-order that we were discussing about at coimbatore??
The pre-ordered unit is still in transit from the UK. SHould probably reach tomorrow and will be picked up by a colleague. I bought mine at the Gitex IT exhibition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
btw, is your old phone lined up for the "the giveaway thread", if yes, let me have the first right of refusal...
No way - the old phone is still worth a decent sum of money in the 2nd hand market! I cant afford to give those AWAY !
Old 11th September 2007, 23:23   #1909
BHPian

is it possible to put 2 sim cards onto a nokia 6233
i want to use hutch and airtel on the same phone

anybody knows about this!

thanks shabeeth
Old 11th September 2007, 23:39   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
No way - the old phone is still worth a decent sum of money in the 2nd hand market! I cant afford to give those AWAY !
i was just joking steeroid. even if it is on its way, i am not a worthy owner. my needs are more than taken by my poor nokia 2600.

regards
tifosi.
Old 11th September 2007, 23:39   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post

anybody knows about this!

thanks shabeeth
Ask Zak he owns one.
Old 12th September 2007, 00:46   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ask Zak he owns one.
Along with atleast half-a-dozen active SIM cards!
Old 12th September 2007, 13:21   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I am not defending SE but every company does this. my neighbour bought 6220 for 22K a day before diwali. 1 week later the price was 8.5

Poor guy used the phone for next 2 years without complaining.
I am not talking about cost coming down over time... I am talking about after sales support. SE P990i still has some features which havent been implemented, though they are shown as features in the phone's white paper and they have siezed future development on this paltform with some major bugs still there and full features in the white paper still to be implemented fully. The phone is in the market for not more than a year!
You dont expect this sorta support when you buy the flagship product from a company, what they actually did was use P990i customers as beta testers which are still in the beta testing the unit. I will say stay away from any Sony smartphone, they are simply not worth it.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th September 2007 at 13:24.
Old 12th September 2007, 20:22   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Again every company does it. The tech updates stop once the product is discontinued.

It is another case that P990i was discontinued before its time. That was due to the competion and market analysis.

TYTN II kaiser is available for RS.45249 with B&W.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/537696-post1835.html

Last edited by devarshi84 : 12th September 2007 at 20:37.
Old 13th September 2007, 00:13   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Along with atleast half-a-dozen active SIM cards!
Zak has so many SIMs, he has to publish a Directory for himself.

PS: Wait a minute - does he have more SIMs than cars, or vice versa?

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th September 2007 at 00:14.
Old 13th September 2007, 00:57   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A truer word was never spoken!

Quote:
Damn right! Getting in touch with him or getting him to meet you while you're in Cochin - Both are nearly IMPOSSIBLE
Old 15th September 2007, 07:09   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

has anyone here bought the d900i?
Old 15th September 2007, 09:00   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This includes one Malaysian Sim too.
Quote:
Vice versa
Old 15th September 2007, 09:42   #1919
BANNED

Hey! What the hell is going on here??? I am being thrown around the whole field like a polo ball!
I was forced to change my numbers and simcards due to some very unavoidable circumcisions. Uhem... I mean circumstances! (yes, copied from Sam). Now I move around with just 2 active numbers. One for work, family and one for all the personal BS! Many here have my BS number unfortunately. For those who don't understand, B stands for the male genre of elephants and S stands for a word which if you try to type here, will give you 4 stars!

Important piece of advice!
Having 3 or more simcards is like having more than 2 b@lls. It will come in your way and hurt your feelings whenever you want to do something smoothly and enjoyably.
You won't be able to even keep track of all the refills you had or the checques signed!
Be wise! Stick to one or wrap those in some good rubber and keep it safe.

Waitta mini... Ain't this supposed to be a mobile phone discussion thread? Aah, I forgot, I was talking about simcards.
Old 15th September 2007, 10:32   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

How is the sony ericsson p1 ? Approx prize ?
How is hp ipaq 512 ? Similar phones compared to 512 ?

Budget is 20-25k maximum. any other suggestions ?

Most Viewed