Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 15:01   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for printers

As soon as one starts using any app that communicates into your home network, it has to be open to that and security is a huge issue. It has to be done properly or not at all.

Personally, I prefer not at all, as the security issue is a big, tough, complex thing, and requirement would have to be very important to me to take that on. And if I ask an outsider, how do I know that they are indeed qualified.

Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but I say, do not risk your home network security for some small convenience. And always assume that everything out of the box is insecure.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 21:49   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Guys, can anyone using a wireless printer help me out?
I am looking for a printer which can printed on remotely?
Like, would it be possible for me to print something at work while sitting at home?
I recently purchased Epson L3150 Wireless Printer. Yes, you can give prints remotely(via email) and over WiFi too. This has WiFi Direct option too.

Other than this, this is a fairly good all-in-one printer. I basically had to buy this for juniors school work. The print quality (color and B/W) is crisp. Haven't printed any photo prints yet but I learned it is also of good quality. The only downside for others may be it doesn't have any LCD screen viewer and duplex printing is manual.

I initially thought of having the Laser printer but then this is one of the best economical and convenient ink tank printer. It retailed for 13,500/- on Amazon. Surprisingly, it is now out of stock in both Amazon and Flipkart.

Last edited by blueshift : 16th August 2021 at 21:50. Reason: missed one word
Old 17th August 2021, 09:46   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I was able to secure a Brother DCP-T820DW in July for our home use. This printer is so popular that it lists out on website and in 1-2 days goes out of stock. I spent 3 months watching just out of stock boards everywhere.

While the stores quoted me anywhere between 18.5 to 20k, I could secure the printer from Flipkart for 17,399. Using it for over a month now and performance is great.

It is easy to set up its wireless capability. Mobile app Brother iPrint&Scan works exceptionally well. Scan to PDF option is useful and it can be done using Mobile alone.

I liked the duplex feature which is not available at this price point in HP, Epson and Canon printers. What I didn't like is the colour quality and I think Canon, Epson are better in that area because I have seen Canon and Epson photo prints.

If you are planning to use it for home or office, go for it. Not so good for professional photographers and digital media content creators.
I was also able to buy this printer last month during Amazon Prime Sale. My feedback is also on similar lines.

Wifi works flawlessly. I have dual band router and the printer is connected on 2.4GHz band. But all my consumer devices are on 5GHz band are also able to access this printer automatically over wifi or wired lan. This could be a feature of router though. But I am happy the way it works without any problem.

Auto duplex is the most convenient feature for sure. I also like how the scanning top automatically adjusts to the thinkness of the book being put on scan glass. I havn't used scan feature much though.

Print quality is definitely not that sharp but I don't have much to complain here. As my usage are mostly for home use and not professional photography.
Old 17th August 2021, 10:00   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Brother DCP7500D

Purchased the DCP7500D Brother laser multifunction printer last week. Initial impressions are good. This has the 'Toner box' tech which reduces the cost of print. The cost of toner and drum are very reasonable compared to other models in the prince range. Toner cost ~900 bucks and drum costs ~2600 bucks.

The print quality are very good. SO far happy with the purchase.
Old 18th August 2021, 09:16   #425
Senior - BHPian

Anyone bought HP 6075 printer online? Any reviews available? The printer is retailing for 12500 on Amazon (very strangely surprising), 9749 in Croma, 9499 on HP India store. The only disadvantage is the printer is inkjet type and not ink tank. Plus Amazon reviews shows the fast consumption of the cartridge and costly replacements.

But the printer has colour print, scan, copy, wifi, with Auto duplex feature which I feel is essential esp when being used for son's school work (going to 10th now and he will need this more often)

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08D9N2FLX/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 18th August 2021, 09:50   #426
BHPian

Re: Brother DCP7500D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Purchased the DCP7500D Brother laser multifunction printer last week. Initial impressions are good. This has the 'Toner box' tech which reduces the cost of print. The cost of toner and drum are very reasonable compared to other models in the prince range. Toner cost ~900 bucks and drum costs ~2600 bucks.

The print quality are very good. SO far happy with the purchase.
I too bought this a month back and have a L2541 too bought few years back. Have been very impressed till date as unlike my previous HP laser printers this never has had any printer problems yet.
Old 18th August 2021, 10:13   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anyone bought HP 6075 printer online? Any reviews available? The printer is retailing for 12500 on Amazon (very strangely surprising), 9749 in Croma, 9499 on HP India store. The only disadvantage is the printer is inkjet type and not ink tank. Plus Amazon reviews shows the fast consumption of the cartridge and costly replacements.

But the printer has colour print, scan, copy, wifi, with Auto duplex feature which I feel is essential esp when being used for son's school work (going to 10th now and he will need this more often)

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08D9N2FLX/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
In 2021, it is stupid to buy a cartridge based printers. Ink tank is the way to go. The low price is to lure you into buying the printer so that you are trapped in the system end up paying more in future for the cartridges.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th August 2021 at 10:30.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:26   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anyone bought HP 6075 printer online? Any reviews availabl

[url]url]
That has been HPs scam for decades. Reel you in with cheap hardware, and then give you expensive cartridges with ridiculous shelf life.
Avoid altogether.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 15:52   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
That has been HPs scam for decades. ...
It has been the business model of the entire inkjet market since its inception. I even remember someone buying a new printer because it was cheaper than a set of cartridges! Only in more recent years have consumers made enough noise to demand the tank system.

For very occasional use, laser is the answer, especially if one does not need colour. My Brother printer stands unused for months, but always works. I have had it for nearly a decade! I just hope the consumables remain available: the machine will probably outlive that.

It gave one snag, where paper would jam for no noticeable reason. And there was no reasonable reason that the fault went away the day I called Brother about it! But it did.

I'd like to print out photographs. But what would I do with them? Just have even more piles of stuff in my messy house! I'll stick to monochrome laser.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 16:44   #430
BHPian

I had no idea on printers and never needed one as there are 2 dozen printing shops nearby and prints are pretty cheap compared to initial cost of printer + toner/inks.

The time came finally to buy a printer for kid's assignments. Better half did the research along with inputs from Team-BHP and we shortlisted Brother DCP-T820DW .

As rightly mentioned in the forum before, this printer is hard to find. Even B&M stores did not have it. Got in touch with Distributors, they did not have the stock (though they assured me, it will be imported and delivered to me in 30 days). Lowest Online prices were 25k+. Finally managed to snag Brother DCP-T820DW in Amazon Great Indian Sale for 18k.

This printer was chosen for below reasons:
1. Price <20k
2. Wifi Printing (via Android App also)
3. Colour Prints
4. Auto Duplex Print
5. Ink Tank
6. Small Size
7. Scanner

Delivery took a week. The setup was straightforward and I printed few samples on A4 sheets and happy with outcome. The photos, obviously, did not come out good. Looking for recommendations for a photo paper that is supported with this printer.

Thanks

Last edited by akhil_007 : 14th October 2021 at 16:45.
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:15   #431
BHPian

Folks,

Please help me in deciding a printer for home (rarely ever used). Buying so as to eliminate the need for a market run in case I need a couple of pages (literally this is the reason for buying).
Requirement:
1. Should have Wi-Fi printing
2. Duplex printing (can be manual)
3. Hassle and maintenance free (since this will be used for 5-10 pages a month).

I looked up:
1. HP Ink Tank 416 Wifi - Rs. 14,499
2. Canon Pixima G3020 Wifi - Rs. 15,949
3. Brother DCP-T420E Wifi - Rs. 13,999

Any other options at cheaper prices?

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 4th January 2022 at 12:20.
Old 4th January 2022, 17:17   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Please help me in deciding a printer for home (rarely ever used).
My advice... don't.

At least, don't buy an inkjet, and certainly not a cheap one. The time that you spend trying to make dried print heads and cartridges work, and the cost of replacing them, will be far more than nipping out to your local print shop, even if it is several km away!

We have a laser printer for occasional use, and it always works (except for one malfunction) even if not even thought about for months. Of course, we only get black out of it. It was relatively expensive but has lasted for years, and the cartridges are only thrown away when they run out, not because they dried up.

On the other hand, if you must have an inkjet, for multi-coloured documents and occasional pictures, Use it, at least once a week.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 19:55   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Please help me in deciding a printer for home (rarely ever used). Buying so as to eliminate the need for a market run in case I need a couple of pages (literally this is the reason for buying).
Requirement:
3. Hassle and maintenance free (since this will be used for 5-10 pages a month).

I looked up:

Canon G3012 - Ink Tank printer.
1. Supports Wi-Fi printing - no issues noticed at 20 feet. Can print from laptops or mobile phones.
2. Automatic Duplex printing is not present but one can print all odd pages, then manually reverse the printed pages and print all even pages. Not too difficult.
3. Have been using the same for about an year and have had no problems. Reasonable regular usage is sufficient to prevent drying up of inks (once every few weeks should be ok). Given the ink tank has large capacity, need not worry about the cost per page. Even if ink does dry up (hasn't happened in my case except when I purchased and had to get started), one can flush the ink through options provided - wastes a little more ink than normal print but nothing to be concerned about.

Is very convenient, scan quality is good, print/ copy speed is reasonably good for home usage. Printing and scanning can be done remotely on Wi-Fi, have not had to worry about cartridges getting over since the original ink on the ink tank printer is still there. We do reasonable printing (including color prints) for home-works as required.

I gather there are very minor differences across G3012, G3020/ G3021 etc. Pick one that suits the requirement, cannot go too wrong - at-least in the case of G3012, works very well.

thanks,
Subbarp

Last edited by subbarp : 4th January 2022 at 20:02. Reason: Additional notes
subbarp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 01:29   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Requirement:

I looked up:
1. HP Ink Tank 416 Wifi - Rs. 14,499
3. Brother DCP-T420E Wifi - Rs. 13,999

Hi Valar,

I bought a printer for the exact same reasons as you have listed above.
I bought it from Croma in July last year. HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4178.
Cost was Rs. 7200.00. Am quite happy with it so far.
I just replaced the colour cartridge today after 6 months. Original black is still going strong.
Note that they printers come with smaller cartridges when purchased.
It has Wifi and Duplex printing.
Print quality is O.K.
It does the job I bought it for. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 08:12   #435
BHPian

For all ink printers, do remember to leave it on always. Most printers have a way to self lubricate (at the cost of some ink) and keep the nozzles wet and usable. This mechanism should guarantee reliable printing experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks