Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 03:03   #1
BHPian

Free download from BMW : M3 Challenge game

Sorry if I upped your expectations, but this is a game, not the real deal!

The game is BMW M3 Challenge, available as a FREE download from who else, but BMW. BMW M3 Coupé : BMW M3 Challenge racing game

Still, it's no NFS kind of arcade racing, the physics are extremely realistic, and taking corners and drifting is tough.

Playing with a keyboard is nigh on impossible, and did I mention that it was tough to master the game? I'm making do with a mouse as a steering wheel.

The first few times you play it like any other game, you end up in the barriers at EACH of the corners. Then you realize that you actually need to brake for the turns . Turn off the Traction Control and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and you can drift through corners in 2nd and 3rd.

I suggest you open up the link in a new window, and choose the HD option for the full effect!

PS: Do download and play this game, if you are even remotely into racing while firmly glued to your couch. If you like it, you could move on to legendary games like GTR2 and LFS, which put even the mighty Gran Turismo to shame in terms of realism. And oh, they only have about a million mods by a dedicated fan community to help fuel your subsequent addiction
Old 25th May 2009, 13:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks. Downloaded & saved for the evening.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

been playing this for ages ...... anyway you will need a analog controller to play this game. keyboards are big no-no, first of all you won't be able to play even if you somehow manage, it won't be fun at all.

some people play using mouse(steering) and keyboard but i have never tried that.

also you won't be able to switch off the assists with the keyboard
Old 25th May 2009, 13:50   #4
BHPian

Got this game in a Chip DVD. It's a stripped down version of GTR 2, with only one car (BMW M3) and only one track.

But good game nonetheless.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 25th May 2009, 18:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I would much rather play GTR 2 with all the other cars! this gets boring after a while unless you are playing with friends on LAN. We had amazing fun playing this. We spend close to 1 hour qualifying and setting up the game and then in less than 20 secs, everyone has crashed into each other at turn 1. :
Old 25th May 2009, 18:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
been playing this for ages ...... anyway you will need a analog controller to play this game. keyboards are big no-no, first of all you won't be able to play even if you somehow manage, it won't be fun at all.

some people play using mouse(steering) and keyboard but i have never tried that.

also you won't be able to switch off the assists with the keyboard

Nonsense I've been playing with a keyboard and its much better than an analog wheel but yeah you cant play without traction control on a keyboard since pressing a key is on/off and you cant modulate like on a wheel/pedals

Last edited by bottle : 25th May 2009 at 18:38.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:11   #7
BHPian

Old game, I too am playing this on a keyboard for ages. Never tried mouse controls though.
Old 25th May 2009, 21:12   #8
BHPian

You can modulate the throttle input to some extent by reducing the rate at which the keys respond to your input(setting available in options) and mashing the throttle button while exiting the corners (PWM anyone? )

Using a mouse, one can easily switch off Traction control and DSC after some practice. In the video, TC was at level 2 for the start, to maximize traction off the line, and was then set to Level 1 immediately after the launch. DSC was set to off.

I generally play with TC off, and I used TC1 to keep the lap 'clean', otherwise I get too much of tail out action, which is loads of fun, but no good for a fast lap.

I have the full Nurburgring circuit in GTR2, and never get bored of pounding on lap after lap, even if a lap is almost 9 minutes long!!

What's more, you can modify all the engine files in the game directory easily, to end up with a monster engine! Like I created this mad engine with some 2000bhp at a crazy 12000 rpm! So you could have that in an Elise, and live all your wildest fantasies, well almost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks