Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 23:47   #1351
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Guys, a quick question - Are there any dual sim Lumia's available in the market as of now/launching in the next 1-2 months?
Old 20th November 2013, 08:09   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Guys, a quick question - Are there any dual sim Lumia's available in the market as of now/launching in the next 1-2 months?
I don't think WP8 OS supports dual sim feature. Rumors about the upcoming 8.1 update indicates no dual sim.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:54   #1353
Team-BHP Support

Did the WP8 Lumia users here get the recent GDR3 (a.k.a. Bittersweet Shimmer) update?

My 920 did an update 2 days back, the phone restarted twice during the process with the gears spinning animation but it still shows up as Amber. Checked for updates and says, it is updated.

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20131120_0001.jpg
Old 20th November 2013, 10:38   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Did the WP8 Lumia users here get the recent GDR3 (a.k.a. Bittersweet Shimmer) update?

My 920 did an update 2 days back, the phone restarted twice during the process with the gears spinning animation but it still shows up as Amber. Checked for updates and says, it is updated.

Attachment 1168804
What is the current OS version (Settings-About) for you?

I just got GDR3 on my HTC 8X and it says 8.0.10501.127 as the current version.
Old 20th November 2013, 10:46   #1355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
What is the current OS version (Settings-About) for you?

I just got GDR3 on my HTC 8X and it says 8.0.10501.127 as the current version.

My colleague here has the 925 and shows the same for his device as well. Checked for updates and it says, 'Your phone is up to date.'

So I guess the GDR3 OTA updated rolled out for HTC devices sooner than the Lumia devices. When did you get yours updated?

And many thanks for the quick response!
Old 20th November 2013, 10:54   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

My colleague here has the 925 and shows the same for his device as well. Checked for updates and it says, 'Your phone is up to date.'

So I guess the GDR3 OTA updated rolled out for HTC devices sooner than the Lumia devices. When did you get yours updated?

And many thanks for the quick response!
Got mine updated to GDR3 last weekend.

I wouldn't have minded waiting for another couple of weeks if I were to get a few extra Nokia-only features.
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:46   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Try this app called AppDeals. Has information on which normally paid-for app is available for free or a discounted price.

In major updates for the WP8 platform, Instagram and Waze were launched for WP8 yesterday. I downloaded both yesterday. I've used neither on any other platform, so no benchmark to compare. So independently, seem smooth enough.
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:38   #1358
Distinguished - BHPian

Hullo
Another android-ian shifting to WP out here. My older phone is on an exchange deal with the 925 I'm getting, so I'm currently busy getting backup(s) of all the data on my android phone.

Contact backups has been completed - gmail contacts primarily, but it's the SMSes I'm held up on. I have taken backup(s) as xml/csv files and uploaded the conversations to gmail too, but I can't find any app details on Windows that would import these smses to the new phone. Any suggestions on the same?
Old 23rd November 2013, 15:18   #1359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hullo
Another android-ian shifting to WP out here. My older phone is on an exchange deal with the 925 I'm getting, so I'm currently busy getting backup(s) of all the data on my android phone.

Contact backups has been completed - gmail contacts primarily, but it's the SMSes I'm held up on. I have taken backup(s) as xml/csv files and uploaded the conversations to gmail too, but I can't find any app details on Windows that would import these smses to the new phone. Any suggestions on the same?
There is this application available in the Windows Marketplace called Transfer the Data. I have it installed on my Lumia 625, but have not used it (my contacts are linked to my Windows Live id). The application home screen says copying text messages are possible (screenshot below). Maybe you can give a try

Edit: Check this link as well

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20131123_0001.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd November 2013 at 15:19. Reason: Link added
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:09   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Thanks @vb-san! This should do the trick!

P.s. I'll be scanning this thread & the web for more useful apps for the WP. Initial glance at the app store gives me the idea that there are quite a few fakes/useless apps on the store which have good (name) counterparts in the android & apple stores. If anyone has any suggestions to make, you are more than welcome
Old 24th November 2013, 00:51   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
In major updates for the WP8 platform, Instagram and Waze were launched for WP8 yesterday. I downloaded both yesterday. I've used neither on any other platform, so no benchmark to compare. So independently, seem smooth enough.
thanks for the information. Ibwas a regular waze user earlier on android. Glad it came to wp8!
Old 24th November 2013, 09:57   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Thanks @vb-san! This should do the trick!

P.s. I'll be scanning this thread & the web for more useful apps for the WP. Initial glance at the app store gives me the idea that there are quite a few fakes/useless apps on the store which have good (name) counterparts in the android & apple stores. If anyone has any suggestions to make, you are more than welcome
Its the most sexiest phone..the 925. I am yet to get a case for it since it would ruin its looks and feel.
And what a cam!

I am still on Amber :(

Wish Win8.1 had
  • Bluetooth visible for 2min option or so
  • download files one after another automatically ( or maybe I dont know how to do that) between paired mobiles
Old 24th November 2013, 14:07   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Hullo
Another android-ian shifting to WP out here. My older phone is on an exchange deal with the 925 I'm getting..
What is the colour you have opted and what was the phone were you exchanging? Did you do this on flipkart? What do you feel about the exchange and particularly about Nokia Lumia 925? Thanks.
Old 24th November 2013, 14:48   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Its the most sexiest phone..the 925. I am yet to get a case for it since it would ruin its looks and feel.
And what a cam!
Agree on the looks. Still to try out a comparo of the camera with the lady's Iphone 5. But so many camera apps pre-loaded on the phone!!!

Quote:
Ditto here. The phone came pre-loaded with this update.

On a OT note, just to compare - my phone was 100% charged yesterday, and it took 24 hours of heavy usage (and flight mode from 2 to 8 at night) to drain it completely! I expected the battery to last more to be honest :|

Quote:
Wish Win8.1 had
Haha - It's been just a lil more than 24 hours since I have the phone and I have a quite a list of "missing" features (or bugs) on this OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
What is the colour you have opted and what was the phone were you exchanging? Did you do this on flipkart? What do you feel about the exchange and particularly about Nokia Lumia 925? Thanks.
Black. Exchanged my micromax Canvas A100. Yes, via flipkart.
Pretty decent offer on that site. A week back I had checked with priority dealers, the best I could get was 27-28k (on exchange of my phone). Add 5% discount offered by flipkart, the total came down to 25k. The exchange was effortlessly done during the delivery without any issues.

As for feedback on the phone, I'll come up with a detailed post on the positives/negatives of the phone (& OS) in a day or so. Expect a lot of nagging "gaps" to be highlighted & direct comparisons with Android & Apple products.
Old 24th November 2013, 15:04   #1365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Quote:
The phone came pre-loaded with this update.
Guys, if it isn't too much to ask, could you check for updates and post back if the phone is prompting for the GDR3 update download?

Go to settings>phone update>click on 'check for updates' after enabling wifi/3G.

The update is out for HTC devices. Not sure why it is taking too long for Nokia. This update brings many features esp. the closing app. from multitasking window.

Most Viewed