Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 22:31   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Gannu_1, thanks for the insight. Unfortunately the popularity of the Android platform and devices means users will most likely be switching to WP8 from Android, and I must say from my personal and professional experience that users don't like to be surprised!

Missing file explorer, inability to close apps from the task manager are things people would take for granted today.

While Nokia have been traditionally good on the hardware part (pureview is an example of how they are still building great features like cameras), MS haven't been equally good on the software front, which is where Symbian might have come in handy for Nokia. But then it all looks like Microsoft sent a Trojan horse to Finland.

I would imagine if Nokia partnered with Google and came out with their own Android devices, the Nokia Android devices would probably beat the Nokia WP8 devices by a handsome margin.
Old 7th October 2013, 09:40   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Do consider Lumia 920. I'm not sure about the current rates, but if the difference is not much, I would recommend it over 8X.
I currently use an 8X and I'm really impressed with its build quality - its among the best I've seen so far. I would put it above Lumia 820 and almost on par with 920.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
@carboy - My point is around the build quality of the phone. The support is software support - the custom apps and overall packaging of windows 8 on nokia is way better. Umpteen posts and reviews on the net...
Thanks for the inputs guys, bought the Nokia Lumia 925 and it is a fabulous phone. Although I won't be in a position to comment on the performance when compared to Omnia W as am a S3 user, my wife is loving it. Looks great, massive improvement in the UI, whats'app works as it should and then there is the Camera! Very good clarity and the number of tweaks are mind boggling!

Coupled with the fact that there is an exchange offer only for the 925 where you get upto 5k off on your old smart phone, got the 925 for Rs.28,200 which is a decent price! The price without exchange is Rs. 33,000. So din't feel bad as the price offered for the Omnia W in exchange elsewhere was merely 1.5 to 2k max!
Old 7th October 2013, 11:06   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Gannu_1, thanks for the insight. Unfortunately the popularity of the Android platform and devices means users will most likely be switching to WP8 from Android, and I must say from my personal and professional experience that users don't like to be surprised!

Missing file explorer, inability to close apps from the task manager are things people would take for granted today.

While Nokia have been traditionally good on the hardware part (pureview is an example of how they are still building great features like cameras), MS haven't been equally good on the software front, which is where Symbian might have come in handy for Nokia. But then it all looks like Microsoft sent a Trojan horse to Finland.

I would imagine if Nokia partnered with Google and came out with their own Android devices, the Nokia Android devices would probably beat the Nokia WP8 devices by a handsome margin.
Missin file explorer is indeed a sore thumb for the power users, but frankly for a normal user it is old way of doing things. You do not really require it.
Can you tell me what all you would do with this file explorer?

App closer is again the old way of doing things. You do not require it, the OS has to manage based on the hardware config that it knows and the application that it is running. You require this on Android because keeping apps open in Android makes it hang and stuck.

I will tell you where the Windows platform truly sucks. File formats. Try to upload files to internet. (http://windowsphone.stackexchange.co...om-the-browser)
Try to attach pdf or zip files to the email ... (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-d5d736ce7259)

Both these shortcomings do not make any sense. You DO need to upload documents - and MS can easily grant the access to the folders that are visible to common man (like documents, photos, music etc).

Also a modern platform that has issues with various widely prevalent file formats like pdf zip wav etc is a strict no no.
Old 7th October 2013, 12:00   #1234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Missin file explorer is indeed a sore thumb for the power users, but frankly for a normal user it is old way of doing things. You do not really require it.
Can you tell me what all you would do with this file explorer?
What exactly can a power use do with a file explorer? I have the ES File Explorer installed on Android. It's pretty useless - since I don't have perms to edit most files. I think it may be only useful for rooted phones.

For eg, I can open /etc/hosts on my Android with the File Explorer, but since I cannot edit it, what's the use?
Old 7th October 2013, 12:04   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What exactly can a power use do with a file explorer? I have the ES File Explorer installed on Android. It's pretty useless - since I don't have perms to edit most files. I think it may be only useful for rooted phones.

For eg, I can open /etc/hosts on my Android with the File Explorer, but since I cannot edit it, what's the use?
All the more strengthens my point.
Anyway once you root your droid, you can edit lot of files.

But then rooting = security concern, hence will never happen on Windows phone.
Old 7th October 2013, 12:11   #1236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
All the more strengthens my point.
Anyway once you root your droid, you can edit lot of files.

But then rooting = security concern, hence will never happen on Windows phone.
It didn't happen on Android because of Google. It Google wanted rooting on Android - they would have made it without hiding admin access. Rooting happened because of 3rd party people cracking Google's hiding of it.

If and when Windows gains enough traction for crackers to become interested, you will have root access on Windows also.
Old 7th October 2013, 20:03   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Got the Lumia 625 yesterday, and overall I am quite impressed with the phone. The screen size is decent, touchscreen sensitivity is nice, and all the basic apps like Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter etc. works well. Overall the phone feels really nice compared to the old HTC HD7 (WP 7.8). The key reason for going with this model was the availability of 4G. This probably is the cheapest 4G model available in the market now (in Singapore).
Can you please comment on the speaker phone volume and general audio quality? This would be the two most used features for me and I have got mixed feedback on this. Also have you tried any games on this? I am in a dilemma between 920 and this one mainly because this is slimmer and lighter when compared to 920. TIA.
Old 7th October 2013, 21:10   #1238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Can you please comment on the speaker phone volume and general audio quality? This would be the two most used features for me and I have got mixed feedback on this. Also have you tried any games on this? I am in a dilemma between 920 and this one mainly because this is slimmer and lighter when compared to 920. TIA.
For regular calls, audio quality is extremely good. I found the speaker phone a bit soft (compared to iPhone 5 / Samsung Note 2). Did not try many games. Installed Temple Run, and found that it takes a couple of seconds more to load initially, but after that it goes on without any trouble. Camera is basic 5 MP, but the colours are vibrant yet natural. The onboard Nokia editors are pretty cool too.

Did not consider 920 because it does not come with LTE. Thought of getting the 925, but for my usage I did not find any major advantage to justify its premium over the 625 (SGD 300 extra).
Old 7th October 2013, 21:24   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For regular calls, audio quality is extremely good. I found the speaker phone a bit soft (compared to iPhone 5 / Samsung Note 2). Did not try many games. Installed Temple Run, and found that it takes a couple of seconds more to load initially, but after that it goes on without any trouble. Camera is basic 5 MP, but the colours are vibrant yet natural. The onboard Nokia editors are pretty cool too.

Did not consider 920 because it does not come with LTE. Thought of getting the 925, but for my usage I did not find any major advantage to justify its premium over the 625 (SGD 300 extra).
Thanks a lot for the quick response ! Yep, I ruled out 925 pretty much for the same reason (it's more than the double of 625 over here) thought it's probably the best out there from Nokia.
Old 7th October 2013, 21:42   #1240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks a lot for the quick response ! Yep, I ruled out 925 pretty much for the same reason (it's more than the double of 625 over here) thought it's probably the best out there from Nokia.
Another advantage is the screen size. I believe it's the biggest in the Lumia range (bigger than 925 and 1020), yet feels good to hold and slides comfortably in the pocket. I moved to this from Samsung Note 2, mainly because of the size advantage, neat interface, and ease of use.
Old 8th October 2013, 12:27   #1241
Senior - BHPian

A file manager is pretty useful. I do not want to use another software to manage my photos, I just want to copy them to my laptop and do my organization. Similarly I do not want to do file transfers to the cloud, I just want to upload/download useful files on the laptop without accessing the Net.

These may be minor problems when you have a 3G/2G subscription, but what happens when you are abroad or in a remote region with no net access? Any way paying the operator for the pleasure of transferring data to and from a phone does not gell with me, especially when you pay pretty steep net access charges abroad. That is why I likes the old Nokia OS, it had every thing and it worked flawlessly.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:09   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
A file manager is pretty useful. I do not want to use another software to manage my photos, I just want to copy them to my laptop and do my organization. Similarly I do not want to do file transfers to the cloud, I just want to upload/download useful files on the laptop without accessing the Net.

These may be minor problems when you have a 3G/2G subscription, but what happens when you are abroad or in a remote region with no net access? Any way paying the operator for the pleasure of transferring data to and from a phone does not gell with me, especially when you pay pretty steep net access charges abroad.
Transferring photo is the least of the problems. In my Lumia 800, I just connect phone to PC. Zune automatically get activated and copies new photos to directory assigned for photoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is why I likes the old Nokia OS, it had every thing and it worked flawlessly.
+1. Nokia E5 remains by best ever phone used. It just that my company BYOD policy is not available for Symbian.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:37   #1243
BANNED

How do you guys copy videos to SD card. I have Some 5-6 Avi files related to work and trying to copy over to SD card. It does n;t copy .

Wondering how to accomplish that .
Old 9th October 2013, 20:45   #1244
Senior - BHPian

One more bummer! I can't create contacts in my SIM card. If I have to save a number I must either choose Hotmail or Google.

And I would like to manage my SD card folders myself.
Old 10th October 2013, 11:55   #1245
Distinguished - BHPian

There is this application called BraviaControl with which we can control a Sony device on a network. Works flawlessly and response is as good as using the real remote. Would recommend it to everyone. Helps when we are using DLNA. Can sync with other bravia devices also through Bravia Sync.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks