Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 08:53   #1186
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

How big is the download? I'll have to wait until I reach office for the Wifi.
Old 24th September 2013, 08:56   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
bejoy, a colleague's 720 also shattered the display when his son dropped the phone. He had a cover and it still couldn't help the display. Everything works fine but the screen got too many cracks and held up by the screen guard. 9.5k is too expensive!

Isn't this a problem with all uni-body phones? The is no way to dissipate energy on impact. Need to be very careful with the 720.

Thanks for the heads up on Amber. Downloading as I write this.
For 9.5K,it makes sense to get the 520
My 520 has had multiple major falls,and a few without cover,still holding up fine.
Downloading Amber as i write this.

Apart from Radio,and Flip to Mute,what more changes do i get?
Old 24th September 2013, 09:17   #1188
Senior - BHPian

I have been reading about the update and some people claim that the camera quality has deteriorated after the update. Please confirm.
Old 24th September 2013, 09:28   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

For 9.5K,it makes sense to get the 520
My 520 has had multiple major falls,and a few without cover,still holding up fine.
Downloading Amber as i write this.

Apart from Radio,and Flip to Mute,what more changes do i get?
How to access the FM radio in the new update ?
Old 24th September 2013, 11:08   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Isn't this a problem with all uni-body phones? The is no way to dissipate energy on impact.
My Lumia 800 is also unibody. It got dropped so many times, but no such problem.
Old 24th September 2013, 11:17   #1191
Team-BHP Support

I just realized there is no provision for setting "static IP" or DNS of your choice. If I want to use Open DNS, no way.
Is Windows OS a featurephone OS. Calling this thing a smartphone is a long long shot.
That said, the Lumia 520 is a very good featurephone. Android smartphones in this price bracket are laggy and touchscreen quality is not very good.
Old 24th September 2013, 11:48   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
How to access the FM radio in the new update ?
It's available in the Music app.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:26   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Lumia 520 now available for ₹8800/-. saw an offer on FK . makes it a worthy buy. The way i see it, its a better buy in that price point that the entry level droids.

http://www.flipkart.com/nokia-lumia-...1-f685bc21798d

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 24th September 2013 at 12:29.
Old 24th September 2013, 16:36   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

It's available in the Music app.
It didn't show till I plugged in the head phones. Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 18:33   #1195
BHPian

I just got the amber update on my lumia 720.
A small review for the lumia 720.
I liked this phone so much that i bought 2 of it. One for my brother and one for me. Why i liked it, after using windows mobile since 2004 and then android starting from froyo 2.2 to jelly bean, and mostly being active on xda-developers since 2004 from the same handle, because it does what it does. Well when i first bought lumia 800, my first windows phone, i was amazed by its hardware quality, and easiness of using the OS. It would be really hard for microsoft to kill all the features that was available on windows mobile os already. They just pulled out all the deep os manipulation from the os for the user, and simple things like file system access was also barred from access, not only to users but also to developers.
It was maybe hardest call for microsoft, but then thats what made me stick to the OS. The people hub integrates my gmail contacts, facebook, twitter. It makes life easier that the integration is proper and to the point. Making call is easier, not that android lacks anything, but WP does it smoothly. Games are great on my lumia 720, there are gun bros, Dredd vs. Zombies, and many others, Xbox scores are also there, but i know nil about it.
Office hub is cool, more importantly onenote, which is great for note taking with images, audio et al.. If you have used evernote before you, know that onenote is better than that and free. Skydrive integration for onenote and images, video upload is nice add on.
I wont do all the review of its featuress, but will say nokia makes the best hardware. And microsoft made the wonderful start.
Old 24th September 2013, 21:10   #1196
Distinguished - BHPian

I am currently using a Samsung galaxy s2 and need to buy a new smartphone now. Had almost finalized the HTC one but realised it has been unceremoniously been discontinued from our market. So that leaves me only with the S4, something which I was not very keen on because of the same interface and design which would take away any new device feeling from the ownership. Other then that Android and Samsung have been going great for me from last 2 years.

Now was just surfing and came across the Nokia Lumia 925. Read the review etc and it looks like a good phone and priced at 28k on Flipkart. Is it a better buy or can match the Samsung galaxy S4?

Also wanted to know how does the Nokia map with lifetime voice navigation work? Are the maps ( once downloaded) as good as Google maps that I am accustomed to use with my Android phone? Are they accurate and detailed for smaller and remote places?
Old 24th September 2013, 21:41   #1197
BHPian

Guys, after doing the Amber update is the data lost? All the apps, photos, music, are they untouched or do I have to put them all over again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Now was just surfing and came across the Nokia Lumia 925. Read the review etc and it looks like a good phone and priced at 28k on Flipkart. Is it a better buy or can match the Samsung galaxy S4?

Also wanted to know how does the Nokia map with lifetime voice navigation work? Are the maps ( once downloaded) as good as Google maps that I am accustomed to use with my Android phone? Are they accurate and detailed for smaller and remote places?
S4 is a much better option than Lumia. Compared to S4, Lumia feels a bit incomplete over some features, user experience ( like W8 doesn't have a notification centre, quick controls). App store is growing fast, but you'll have to be very patient until all your favourite apps are available.

Here Maps are actually good and accurate. I once used it for navigation and it turned to be very close to google maps. But the Cities are more detailed than rural areas, so once out of city it just show highways.

Last edited by Monolithic : 24th September 2013 at 21:55.
Old 24th September 2013, 22:19   #1198
Senior - BHPian

It took around 30 minutes over wi fi to download and install the amber update. Nice to see new features like Glance screen, data sense and FM radio. All my data got restored automatically too.

Guys, i have a question. When I try to see older messages on Whatsapp, I am not able to go beyond 200 something messages. After scrolling back till that point, the phone automatically goes back to Home screen. Has anyone faced this issue?
Old 24th September 2013, 22:37   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
It took around 30 minutes over wi fi to download and install the amber update. Nice to see new features like Glance screen, data sense and FM radio. All my data got restored automatically too.

Guys, i have a question. When I try to see older messages on Whatsapp, I am not able to go beyond 200 something messages. After scrolling back till that point, the phone automatically goes back to Home screen. Has anyone faced this issue?
I've faced that! Seems new after the last update. I remember going to almost weeks back in a conversation. A bug I think.
Old 25th September 2013, 13:29   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
When I try to see older messages on Whatsapp, I am not able to go beyond 200 something messages. After scrolling back till that point, the phone automatically goes back to Home screen. Has anyone faced this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I've faced that! Seems new after the last update. I remember going to almost weeks back in a conversation. A bug I think.
This is a known Whatsapp bug.

Most Viewed