Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:10   #1141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
So you finally got the 520. Congrats. What price did you pay and where did you source it from? And trust me, I can very well understand your frustration. You moved from android, so that is obvious.
Regards
No frustration, because I won't be using it. My wife likes it quite a bit because cheap android phones with senstive touch screen do not exist. We tried to look at Xolo and stuff, but seriously, but build quality is rubbish. Touch is a little wonky.
She is used to my Note 2, and wanted a sensitive touch experience similar to my phone, and in that price range this was the only thing available.
Moreover, she wanted something with a keypad, but then no GPS etc., possible in non touch phones, so having a sensitive touch is the next best alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hi Guys

Like Tanveer, I too bought a Nokia Lumia 520 (Sky Blue Colour) last night for my wife! Paid Rs.9300/- which included - 1 scratch guard, 1 back cover (yellow colour) and 1 flip style case white colour.

Do let me know how best I could educate myself and my wife on the usability and enjoy this upgrade. Is it possible that MBP interface bars usage of other platforms e.g. Windows / Android?

Let me know your feedback.
I got it for same price, but no extra covers etc., unfortunately. I got it off an ebay seller. I bought the Yellow color phone
As for how to use and stuff, I am the wrong person to ask because this phone will be used as a GPS and for calling and stuff including skype. No plans to heavily mod it etc., like I did for my android.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd September 2013 at 11:12.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:10   #1142
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Microsoft Buys Nokia - Finally it happened
An American company buys a Finnish company. We normally give passing glance to such news. But somehow I was bit emotional when I read this. I have been using Nokia phones for last 14 years. From 5510 'hammer' phone to Symbian to Lumia. They knew how to make good phones.

Actually,Nokia as we know was finished when they killed Symbian and MeeGo. But even in Windows phone, Nokia put best of hardware design and enriched overall experience with their own softwares.

Nokia really knew the market outside US. Though I am not anti-Microsoft, I doubt what will be the future of Nokia phones. MS, with their US centric design language, may produce good phones, but may not appeal to us.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:49   #1143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
An American company buys a Finnish company. We normally give passing glance to such news. But somehow I was bit emotional when I read this. I have been using Nokia phones for last 14 years. From 5510 'hammer' phone to Symbian to Lumia. They knew how to make good phones.

Actually,Nokia as we know was finished when they killed Symbian and MeeGo. But even in Windows phone, Nokia put best of hardware design and enriched overall experience with their own softwares.

Nokia really knew the market outside US. Though I am not anti-Microsoft, I doubt what will be the future of Nokia phones. MS, with their US centric design language, may produce good phones, but may not appeal to us.
Embrace and Extinguish. It has always been so. When M$ came to Nokia, the sensible ones saw what was coming. Study of history teaches you a lot. With M$ it always is embrace and extinguish.
However, the problem is M$ owns the software and hardware. When Google bought motorola, other vendors were worried whether they can be locked out of android. but due to the open source nature of android(CM), anybody can take the GIT code and create android variant or flavor(without google apps of course),

In this case HTC etc., have more to worry. Now Nokia is a big competitor. Google bought motorola for Patents. However M$ is buying Nokia because its the only shot for the giant into the Phone field. I am sure other vendors are not going to be too happy.

Interesting times ahead. Maybe the curse of M$(Every hardware except xbox we do will be doomed), or maybe some Elf magic will break this curse. Time will tell

BTW think about this
When Elop left MS, here is what MS said
" I appreciate the way that Stephen has been a good steward of the brand and business in his time here, and look forward to continuing to work with him in his new role at Nokia."
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...statement.aspx

So top guy leaves Microsoft. Joins another company. Takes some decisions which cause the share price to plummet, and then his former company buys the current company. Now if that is not weird I dunno what is!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd September 2013 at 12:36.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:53   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
BTW think about this
When Elop left MS, here is what MS said
" I appreciate the way that Stephen has been a good steward of the brand and business in his time here, and look forward to continuing to work with him in his new role at Nokia."
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...statement.aspx

So top guy leaves Microsoft. Joins another company. Takes some decisions which cause the share price to plummet, and then his former company buys the current company. Now if that is not weird I dunno what is!
No matter what NOKIA did it was the time for Apple and Android while others ate dust *BB/NOKIA*.

Though what-if NOKIA would have gone with Android ? It would have been in better situation? Everyone can blame Elop or M$ but NOKIA was never BIG a team player. They stuck to SYMBIAN till it eventually died. Finnish always wanted to do things differently and that was the major reason for their success in earlier.

HTC or Samsung never paid much attention to Windows since they got their hands dirty with Android. They don't push updates nor their phones have anything good with Windows OS. Now with MS owing NOKIA mobile division they can actually work much better together and create an mobile eco system.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:15   #1145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nokia stock price has been falling since 2008. If you check the graph, you can see that Elop can be blamed for not fixing the decline - but cannot be blamed for the stock fall.

Nokia always did well in India and Europe. But even in the early 2000s Nokia was declining big in the US market - this was much before smartphones - the flip phone was where Nokia got screwed. In the early 2000s, for some reason flip phones became very popular in the US and Nokia did not have a flip phone for quite some time. This led to Motorola and others jumping ahead of Nokia in the US market with feature phones. The smartphone market was never big till the launch of iPhone in 2009 and again N9 though a very good phone was not really selling well as compared to iPhone or Android phones. So Nokia could either go the Android way or the Windows way - and they went Windows. HTC went the Android way (though they also do windows phones) and did well initially, but isn't doing all that well as compared to it's glory days. Samsung dominates the Android phone market - most others are small players - LG, Motorola, Sony. What's to say Nokia would have done well with Android?

And I think Nokia Windows phones are doing well now. They have captured 8% of the European Market. They are #2 in India. They are also doing well in a lot of other countries. US is the only place where Nokia is suffering and that's the main cause of their low stock price, I think. And Nokia has been suffering in the US much much before Elop took over.
Old 4th September 2013, 06:29   #1146
BHPian

Microsoft buys mobile devices division from Nokia for USD 7.1 billion. It is only mobile phone and not the Nokia brand. Natural progression and death of a pioneer
Old 4th September 2013, 10:58   #1147
BHPian

This was inevitable. The seeds were sown when Stephen Elop moved from Microsoft to Nokia. The pace was accelerated by twin failures. Nokia's failure to crack the market with their windows phones and Microsoft's failure with the Surface twins. Nokia does not have the resources to keep up with the competition much less catch up and Microsoft does not have the time to build an all new hardware platform if it has stay relevant in the mobile computing market. Perhaps, this was the best and only way. Lets hope it all works out because my whole family is on Lumia WP8 (various models) and it's been a good experience so far.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:39   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
It is only mobile phone and not the Nokia brand.
Ok, They retain NSN. But what happens to Nokia's low end phones that do not run on Windows OS e.g. Asha series?
Old 4th September 2013, 11:42   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, They retain NSN. But what happens to Nokia's low end phones that do not run on Windows OS e.g. Asha series?
They bought the entire manufacturing for all devices and processes. They can use Nokia brand for 10 years.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:42   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
As per reports in today's Times of India, MS gets to keep Asha - 'Asha is new hope for MS'.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:02   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Back to Lumia.

Is the subscription to Mix Radio limited? Mine says till March 2014. But its an awesome feature!

Drive Maps for KL is not very good though. I have Google maps installed now and it definitely has more detail and accurate as well.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:03   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Nokia is exiting the mobile devices platform completely. MS is absorbing the division along with total labor force of 32k. I sincerely hope MS will continue to roll out Asha series phones! I strongly feel that Nokia is in financial mess and are using these proceeds to come out of it. Ultimately Nokia will be left with Networking equipment, Navigation business and technology patents.
Old 5th September 2013, 13:37   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Back to Lumia.

Is the subscription to Mix Radio limited? Mine says till March 2014. But its an awesome feature!

Drive Maps for KL is not very good though. I have Google maps installed now and it definitely has more detail and accurate as well.
Agree that Drive is not very good. I use Google Maps too, however, I choose Here Drive when it asks for the mode of navigation. It beats Google Navigation. Somehow the latter appears out of touch with the Map.
Old 5th September 2013, 22:25   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Is there an update called 'Amber' for Lumia phones? I have a lumia 720 since a week and heard someone mentioning about it.

I've been enjoying the Lumia for the past week and seems so different from my previous phone which was an android. I guess it will take me a few more days to learn the whole navigation.

I've had one issue today. After using my headphones for the first time in a one-hour call, the earpiece became mute even after removing the headphones. The speaker phone was working fine though. I had a few scary moments. But after a 'soft reset', it sprang back to life! Seems to be a known Win8 issue.
Old 6th September 2013, 07:15   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Is there an update called 'Amber' for Lumia phones? I have a lumia 720 since a week and heard someone mentioning about it.
Yes there and it is about to be released in the next few days. You can check manually for the update by going to Settings > Phone Update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks