Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 10:35   #346
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Airtel has introduced 4G in Kolkata and Bengaluru. But the access is limited within Broadband wireless access (BWA) spectrum. I think only dongles are supported.

For phones to start using 4G, I guess they will have a separate auction of the spectrum ?
To my understanding, as there are not many 4G supported handsets in the market, they are marketting dongle based 4G access. There is no separate auction required.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:49   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
To my understanding, as there are not many 4G supported handsets in the market, they are marketting dongle based 4G access. There is no separate auction required.
I remember our outspoken Kapil Sibal saying that what Airtel and others are launching is not really 4G, wait until we allot 4G spectrum, that will be truly 4g.

Now ignoring the blabber mouthed ministers words, the current one could be under broadband wireless access spectrum (2.3 GHz) which was auctioned, not for mobile services.

Of course LTE is still the same, only the spectrum and its usage are different.

The Hindu : News / National : 4G spectrum auction this year: Sibal
Old 24th May 2012, 04:42   #348
BHPian

So do all the windows phones in India launch the Indian marketplace by default? Because my live ID is registered as an American account..but my phone always goes to the Indian marketplace.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:38   #349
Team-BHP Support

I have Facebook set up on my phone and I have linked my FB account to the Live account.

Now I see only a few birthdays notifications on the Calendar. And all of them are displayed as birthdays in the Live Calendar; the Facebook Calendar is blank.

So looks like only the birthdays of those who were in my friend's list on FB when I linked it to Live have been imported.

How do I have the birthday calendar on fb reflected on the calendar in the phone?
Old 24th May 2012, 10:35   #350
BHPian

Have you tried getting Birthday calender URL from facebook and adding that to your Windows Live account?
Old 24th May 2012, 11:43   #351
BHPian

I will be making a first time entry to andriod/windows phone world. After playing around with the phones in croma, liked the windows phone a lot within my limited budget of 15K max. So, the fight is between Samsung Omnia or Nokia 710.

I have a few question to windows users:
1. Can I make voip calls in windows phone using wifi? This is a must have feature for me as I make lot of voip calls to India when travelling abroad.
2. Is the music quality good in omnia or lumina phones?

Best,
sups
Old 24th May 2012, 12:08   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups
I have a few question to windows users:
1. Can I make voip calls in windows phone using wifi? This is a must have feature for me as I make lot of voip calls to India when travelling abroad.
2. Is the music quality good in omnia or lumina phones?

Best,
sups
Please go.through my previously detailed posts about windows phone (wp).
Basically the windows phone ecosystem is much like the iOS systems where till one year back nothing could be done without iTunes.
Similarly in windows phones you need zune all the time on your pc to transfer files and songs and videos which sometimes tends to get tiring as you cant even share photos on bluetooth.
This is the major problem of owning an iPhone or a Windows phone. If this is not much of a problem for you then you can opt for the wp. Id suggest go for the samsung omnia even though i myself have lumia. Reason - omnia offers better battery life and since it uses Super Amoled screen its far better contrasts and also far more energy efficient than thr lumia 710 that uses lcd screen. This translates to longer battery backup.

Coming to your 2nd query voip on phones without front cameras is not as fun as you arent able to see the person. I think the omnia has dual cameras and is a better choice for Voip. Skype has released its beta for wp7.5 and also other voip softwares are there like tango which i use mostly till skype came. Till now its been good. So voip is not a problem.

Music quality: the default lumia earphones are very mild and dont offer much punch even in my lumia800. So i guess you can try it out with your earphones at the shop and i guess samsung should sound better.

Hope this has helped you in your decision.
Regards

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 24th May 2012 at 12:10.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:10   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Similarly in windows phones you need zune all the time on your pc to transfer files and songs and videos which sometimes tends to get tiring as you cant even share photos on bluetooth. This is the major problem of owning an iPhone or a Windows phone. If this is not much of a problem for you then you can opt for the wp.

Coming to your 2nd query voip on phones without front cameras is not as fun as you arent able to see the person. I think the omnia has dual cameras and is a better choice for Voip. Skype has released its beta for wp7.5 and also other voip softwares are there like tango which i use mostly till skype came. Till now its been good. So voip is not a problem.
Thank you for the clarifications.

Is there a flash support in windows phone?

When I mentioned about voip, was refering to Action Voip through which I can call to my landline in India at a very nominal rate (60p/minute). Its heartening to see that such things can be done using wp.

At 15K, the interface is damn smooth in wp compared to the similarly priced androids. I have to take a call soon.

Last edited by sups : 24th May 2012 at 14:26.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:37   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
So, the fight is between Samsung Omnia or Nokia 710
Omnia W specs are closer to Lumia 800 than 710. Hence Omnia is VFM.
Quote:
Yes its possible via Wifi. There is Skype & Tango for Windows. Android will surely have more options.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:17   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups
Thank you for the clarifications.

Is there a flash support in windows phone?
Nope there is no flash support on wp. In fact android and nokia symbian seems to be the only OSes supporting flash at the moment.

And yes windows phones is zippy as hell. 1.4ghz Snapdragon processor is what you get in all wp whereas at the price range15k android phones will be maximum 1ghz. Mostly 800Mhz. So wp is damn fast.

Btw even skype can be used to call the landline. Do check it out. One year back for me it was 33c. I dont know the current price.

Regards
Old 24th May 2012, 17:13   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Nope there is no flash support on wp. In fact android and nokia symbian seems to be the only OSes supporting flash at the moment.

Btw even skype can be used to call the landline. Do check it out. One year back for me it was 33c. I dont know the current price.
Flash support and memory limitations are two major problems in wp. Lets see if I go omnia way or one v/defy+/xperia u way.

Yes, skype can be used for landline call as well. But it comes to about Rs. 6/minute. Whereas voip calls like "Action Voip" is straight 60 paise per minute. So, there is no comparison.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:21   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Omnia W specs are closer to Lumia 800 than 710. Hence Omnia is VFM.
Bro, the Lumia 710 is exactly the same as the Lumia 800, except
1> The 710 has a smaller LCD screen as opposed to the 800's larger Amoled Screen
2> The 800 has a bigger battery than the 710.

Another thing, Smasung has known Quality Control Issues.

Quote:

And yes windows phones is zippy as hell. 1.4ghz Snapdragon processor is what you get in all wp whereas at the price range15k android phones will be maximum 1ghz. Mostly 800Mhz. So wp is damn fast.

Regards
And the WP7.5 OS is far more efficient that the Android OS.
WP7.5 will outperform [in everyday tests] more powerful Android phones.

From a "just works" point of view i am far happier with my Lumia 710 than I was with my SGS2, but from a "I'm a techie so i tweak" and from a "Mine is bigger than yours", the SGS2 wins hands down.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 25th May 2012 at 19:27.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:52   #358
BHPian

When is Lumia 610 and Lumia 900 launching?
Old 25th May 2012, 19:54   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
When is Lumia 610 and Lumia 900 launching?
No dates announced as of now. I myself am waiting for the Lumia 900.
Old 25th May 2012, 20:31   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
No dates announced as of now. I myself am waiting for the Lumia 900.
don't get either now.
if you can't wait, get the 710, but if you can wait, then wait till october.
Microsoft is releasing Windows 8 in October, they will also publish their plans for Windows 8 on ARM processors along with the future plans of Windows 8 phones. And they are teasing some INSANE Configurations.

we'll know for sure in October if Windows 8 will come onto the 710, 800 and 900.
But it will definitely not come for the 610.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks