Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 19:53   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

HI

This is a LUMIA 710. No idea how old that is though. Comes with a 5MP camera and so on. Is the N8 a better phone overall or is this Lumia ok? Manufactured in Dec 2011. Anyway I m not grumbling - it came FOC and it would be churlish to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I guess we dont have the Lumia 900 yet in India. If its 800, its one of the best phones around. Its a well designed and built windows phone. One gripe may be you want get to add the memory due its single piece design, but 16GB is good enough for most people. The robust gorilla glass and stunning AMOLED screen are some of the best features Nokia has provided. There are quite a few from the OS already discussed.
Sync Email,Calendar,Contacts and Tasks and these are multiple exchange and other types of accounts I'm talking about, you can merge you inboxes and the unified contacts getting merged from all the accounts is great!
Its a very good phone in my opinion. Please remember, the battery back would be same as any smartphone or pocket PC. with most of the features in use (an up to date email account with other few syncing every 15 or 30 minutes) and modrate to low usage of phone hours may give you 48 or less hours of battery backup. If you are a heavy user of phone, you may find issues with battery backup though.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th April 2012 at 19:54.
Old 8th April 2012, 20:51   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
HI

This is a LUMIA 710. No idea how old that is though. Comes with a 5MP camera and so on. Is the N8 a better phone overall or is this Lumia ok? Manufactured in Dec 2011. Anyway I m not grumbling - it came FOC and it would be churlish to look a gift horse in the mouth!
In terms of hardware alone I would rate N8 as a better phone - 12MP camera, HDMI etc. Although N8 has a slower processor and RAM, Symbian OS (you can update this to Belle) is efficient enough to run on this combination. It also has the basic Nokia apps for music, GPS etc, so as long as you are not heavily into apps its good enough. As a multimedia phone, N8 is better simply because of the powerful hardware and multimedia capabilities built in.

Now if you are someone looking for apps, social integration (FB, Twitter), enterprise integration etc, the I might rate Lumia better eventhough N8 is good enough. Btw Lumia 710 is a lower mid-level Windows phone from Nokia - 800 and now 900 is the flagship.

So according to me, between 710 and N8 I would rate N8 better - but do note that in future there is a good chance that you will get more apps developed for Windows mobile than Symbian. Unfortunately Nokia seems to be hell bent on destroying Symbian eventhough they still support and develop it.
Old 8th April 2012, 21:45   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI

710 has still got the same swift OS except the strong build of 800. I have found the screen of 800 is to be way better than others, 710 doesnt have that AMOLED. So, this is all OS features - that strong build of 800. I havent experienced the N8, but based on what I have heard about it, you may not go from N8 to 710 but from N8 to 800 does make sense.

Last edited by Ketan : 8th April 2012 at 21:48.
Old 9th April 2012, 09:54   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI

I have a 710. As I use it only as a phone and camera, here are my comments
1. Transferring contacts from my ancient Nokia 6681 proved frustrating. My son then just transferred all contacts as V Card to his laptop and then transferred them to a Gmail account. Windows phone Syncs with Gmail account.

2. Wireless, GPS and 3G consume batteries like nobodies business. Switch these off and the phone battery lasts a week. I have not subscribed to 3G as I have very little use for it. I use WiFi for synching, that too for the duration of Synch only.

3. Nokia Symbian GPS apps are much better than Windows GPS apps. With sports tracker on C5-03, I could use the phone as a data logger and then process the logs on my PC. The sports tracker in the Windows version is much inferior and confusing to use.

4. The camera at 5MP is good, especially the "macro" mode. Again the application to view photos is pretty bad - it just zooms at 2 levels, unlike the older Nokia where you could zoom upto 200%.

5. Video is great at 720P, and has continuous auto focus capability.

6. The gorilla glass is virtually scratch proof, and the display pretty bright.

My son changed from N8 to Samsung S-II, and will never go back to N8, so I guess that the days of N8 are numbered.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:31   #260
Senior - BHPian

I find the N8 an excellent phone. Decent apps - Im not a heavy app user anyway.
Good email facilities - personal and official mail lands on it and I can answer etc as required.

Great camera indeed - that 12mp camera is brilliant.
My N8 phone is a year and a half old and rarely hangs or creates trouble of that kind. My usage is not super heavy anyway. If I really want to fiddle with apps and data then Im happier with my Ipad.

I like the looks of the Lumia overall but I am not sure that I would want to go back to a 5mp camera now.

Hence I might simply give off the Lumia to my wife or dad or someone and buy myself an Iphone 4S instead because I like the Apple Phones very much.

Not sure how I will use it for business though - in terms of email etc.

I hate Blackberries and wont buy one - the ownership of a blackberry tends to mark you out in the eyes of the beholder as one of those "corporate exec wallah" types and I dont like being typecast.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:37   #261
Team-BHP Support

I have a HTC HD7. I was going thru' the list of HTC Apps when I checked out HTC Locations.

Earlier, the description of that App said something about enabling you to check-in at places.

However, now it mentions maps, driving directions, creating points for places-of-interest on the map etc. So, basically a full-fledged map service.

I installed that and realized, it is quite good.

Best part - there are maps for India as well. However, the file is 390 mb. Has anyone tried them? I thought I'd download them if the reviews are good.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:11   #262
BHPian

just a quick update, I am quite enjoying the Lumia experience. Turning out to be a brilliant gandget!
Old 17th April 2012, 18:45   #263
Team-BHP Support

How do I use my HTC HD7 as a modem to use my Airtel GPRS to browse the internet on my laptop?
Old 17th April 2012, 18:53   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How do I use my HTC HD7 as a modem to use my Airtel GPRS to browse the internet on my laptop?
My Samsung Omnia W (WP7.5 Mango) has 'internet sharing' menu under settings. Its pretty easy to setup wireless hub with password. Any wireless device can access Internet via this hub.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:08   #265
Senior - BHPian

I gave the Lumia 710 to my wife so that she could force-upgrade her ancient and horrible E63.
It was a big challenge to move data because Lumia doesnt understand Nokia Ovi Suite etc. Hence I simply backed up my Wife's E63 onto my N8. Then I used the Lumia's Bluetooth Contact Transfer process to move all her contacts from my N8 to the new Lumia. N8 being a later gen phone than the E63, it was able to pair easily with the Lumia so no worries there.
Now the Lumia is a great phone overall but if one has loaded many apps onto it including facebook and whatsapp and all that jazz, it knocks down the battery life significantly. My wife is not a heavy app user and the phone lies idle most of the time - yet the battery lasts only about 8-9 hours.
Else it is a very nice phone indeed and the Windows stuff is a pleasure to use - the speed of access etc is also superfast in comparison to the older Symbian OS.
All things considered, I still think the Apple OS 5.1 is the best I ve seen.
I just bought an Ipod touch with Wi Fi and it is simply brill! Along with the Ipad2 with Wi Fi and 3G, I think I am becoming a bit of an apple convert.
No wonder Eve was tempted with the original Apple! Apple certainly is highly desirable.
Next for me should ideally be Iphone 5 and a nice little Mac Air and I should be set!
Old 17th April 2012, 19:13   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post

So according to me, between 710 and N8 I would rate N8 better - but do note that in future there is a good chance that you will get more apps developed for Windows mobile than Symbian. Unfortunately Nokia seems to be hell bent on destroying Symbian eventhough they still support and develop it.
N8 would be one heck of a phone if only the screen was 800x480 and RAM about 512MB!!! It would just be the killer phone then.

Unfortunately the old adage remains. If dreams were horses...
Old 17th April 2012, 19:17   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HTC relesed an update for the HD7 quite some time back which enabled wireless internet sharing. Check in Zune if there are any updates available for your phone. I am running a HD7 based ROM on my HD2 and I have internet sharing.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:24   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Go to Settings, and you will see the Internet Sharing option - right below Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Old 18th April 2012, 08:44   #269
BHPian

Quote:
I gave the Lumia 710 to my wife so that she could force-upgrade her ancient and horrible E63.
It was a big challenge to move data because Lumia doesnt understand Nokia Ovi Suite etc. Hence I simply backed up my Wife's E63 onto my N8. Then I used the Lumia's Bluetooth Contact Transfer process to move all her contacts from my N8 to the new Lumia. N8 being a later gen phone than the E63, it was able to pair easily with the Lumia so no worries there.
Now the Lumia is a great phone overall but if one has loaded many apps onto it including facebook and whatsapp and all that jazz, it knocks down the battery life significantly. My wife is not a heavy app user and the phone lies idle most of the time - yet the battery lasts only about 8-9 hours.
Else it is a very nice phone indeed and the Windows stuff is a pleasure to use - the speed of access etc is also superfast in comparison to the older Symbian OS.
All things considered, I still think the Apple OS 5.1 is the best I ve seen.
I just bought an Ipod touch with Wi Fi and it is simply brill! Along with the Ipad2 with Wi Fi and 3G, I think I am becoming a bit of an apple convert.
No wonder Eve was tempted with the original Apple! Apple certainly is highly desirable.
Next for me should ideally be Iphone 5 and a nice little Mac Air and I should be set!
Shankar, check if there are any updates available for Lumia. Reportedly there were few bugs which were draining the battery and Nokia had released a fix for this.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:00   #270
BANNED

Windows Phones seem to top Amazon's Top Rated Cell Phones with Plans in the US. Very unexpected because the phones don't sell much compared to iPhone/Android.

Amazon Top Rated: best Cell Phones With Service Plans

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks