Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:21   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
btw... if there a way I can bypass m.facebook.com for www.facebook.com ??
Yes there is. Open Internet Explorer > Settings > Website preferences. Change this option to desktop version. It will then display the full website.

But even from the full website, I doubt if you will be able to do it as the OS does not allow for file system access. If the file system access had been there then you could have done this from the mobile version itself.
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:52   #212
BHPian

Quote:
have you used any of them? which one if most efficient and evolved?
All of them are actually IE with different skins and hence have almost same performance. Surf Cube Browse is most eye-catching and Metro Browser is the most elegant. I use default IE the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So how do you install this app? I didnt see any steps, just a download for the *.xap file
You'll have to hack your phone to install *.xap files. You can search on XDA forums on how to hack. Be warned that it can void your warranty. XDA has a strong stance against piracy and hence be assured that hacking WP7 ROM is legal. It's pretty simple and fun if you've a free afternoon/weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You need a developer unlocked phone to be able to install xaps.
Have you unlocked your phone? My phone is full-unlocked using DFT HSPL/RSPL Mango ROM for HTC Mozart.

Quote:
btw... if there a way I can bypass m.facebook.com for www.facebook.com ??
Sorry but I think uploading via IE doesn't work. You can upload only via an app.
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:57   #213
BHPian

Quote:
But even from the full website, I doubt if you will be able to do it as the OS does not allow for file system access. If the file system access had been there then you could have done this from the mobile version itself.
eeesh... :(

Any hacks to sort that out ??
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:12   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Have you unlocked your phone? My phone is full-unlocked using DFT HSPL/RSPL Mango ROM for HTC Mozart.
My phone is a HD2 which was originally a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, but I am running a fully unlocked WP7 ROM on it.

Quote:
eeesh... :(

Any hacks to sort that out ??
Sadly there are no hacks that I am aware of. Why don't you try with the Facebook app?
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:26   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
All of them are actually IE with different skins and hence have almost same performance. Surf Cube Browse is most eye-catching and Metro Browser is the most elegant. I use default IE the most.
Leaves me in a soup as well!
Old 24th March 2012, 09:43   #216
BHPian

hey guys,
i came across Samsung omnia W i8350 and it looks to be a killer device at its price point.
I currently own an android phone (Galaxy SL i9003) and was thinking of buying omnia for my dad.Since i havnt owned a Windows Mobile before, i had few queries.
1) Can i use the bluetooth to send files/pictures/vids as can be done on an android?
2) How is the PDF experience on this platform/phone. Is it smooth? Are password protected files supported?
3) Any other limitations as compared to an android phone?
Old 24th March 2012, 10:18   #217
Senior - BHPian

Djkher - you cannot send files over Bluetooth by default, but there is an app for it now. PDF experience is fine, but password protected PDF is not supported. Limitations is a very subjective thing, so cannot comment on that.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:33   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Djkher - you cannot send files over Bluetooth by default, but there is an app for it now. PDF experience is fine, but password protected PDF is not supported. Limitations is a very subjective thing, so cannot comment on that.
Thanks for your reply vikram.

One more question as i understand Divx is not supported out of the box on this device. Is there any player like (MX Video Player on android) which can enable playback of multiple video formats? I searched on the Windows Market place but couldnt find any. May b i missed something.
Old 24th March 2012, 13:12   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Vikram_d.
Which application in the market does that can you please provide me with the name.
Old 24th March 2012, 14:57   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Thanks for your reply vikram.

One more question as i understand Divx is not supported out of the box on this device. Is there any player like (MX Video Player on android) which can enable playback of multiple video formats? I searched on the Windows Market place but couldnt find any. May b i missed something.
Sadly there is no DivX support as of now in WP7. The beta had it but it was removed for uknown reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Vikram_d.
Which application in the market does that can you please provide me with the name.
The app available at the link below, but it needs a fully unlocked phone. it needs a fully unlocked phone because that is the only way the file system can be accessed by the app.

[DFT] BT File Transfer - xda-developers
Old 25th March 2012, 00:13   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
hey guys,
i came across Samsung omnia W i8350 and it looks to be a killer device at its price point.
I currently own an android phone (Galaxy SL i9003) and was thinking of buying omnia for my dad.Since i havnt owned a Windows Mobile before, i had few queries.
1) Can i use the bluetooth to send files/pictures/vids as can be done on an android?
2) How is the PDF experience on this platform/phone. Is it smooth? Are password protected files supported?
3) Any other limitations as compared to an android phone?
The biggest limitation right now seems to be lack of USSD support. Plenty other limitations. Please go thru this thread and the Android thread for more.

Basically, the only advantage you will get is better battery back up and better hardware for the price. That just about sums it up.
Old 26th March 2012, 14:19   #222
BHPian

i have been a win phone user for 6 yrs now. Had an HTC with WinMobile 5 for 3+ yrs and then the ASUS M530W with the win mobile 6.5 for 3+ yrs. Want to upgrade and the options are moving to WinMobile 7.5 ( Mango ) and Android. After a bit of window shopping wife and i are tilting moretowards the Nokia Lumia 800 . The price quoted by the Nokia brand store is 22.5K for the 800 and 14.5K for the 710. I know that the 900 is round the corner and will be in the range of 30-32K. Needed suggestions on whether to take the plunge for 800 ( no front facing cam and no add on memory) or wait for the 900 ( not sure of additional features) . There is another twist to the tale. depending on whether my firm approves, I could be travelling to US for a long duration. These phones cost way less over there. Is it better to wait and watch then ? please suggest.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:14   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Agree, try turning off all not required connections and see how the battery lasts. If at home as you say its on wifi then turn it on whenever needed. There is an app called "Toggle" that you can use without going through the layers of menu.

Mine usually lasts 24 hours, but i always change it in the morning. Never charge it overnight, read it in few forums that battery is effected if charger is left on despite full battery.

Today i will get back my phone so lets see if the 3G and Sms issue is solved.
well i did a third hard reset and after that, the battery seems to be doing alright. Getting about 30 hours or so of battery life with minimal usage. A couple of times i got about 22 or 23 hours, but i am getting some good battery life now.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:17   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah you can change it under "Region & Language", it will ask you to restart the phone, thats it, you are done and can access India's Marketplace.

Update on the 3G and SMS issue

Don't know how but the problem seems to have resolved after the re installation. The OS details are as below.

Software: Windows 7.5
OS Version: 7.10.8107.79
Firmware: 2424.12.01.1

The above version seems to be the same as the one I had earlier so not sure how the issue got solved. Strange are the ways of technology
There is a firmware update out now that resolves the 3G bug. Strangely i am not able to download it onto my phone from my mac (Windows Phone Connector). Maybe the servers are down?
Old 29th March 2012, 22:58   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
There is a firmware update out now that resolves the 3G bug. Strangely i am not able to download it onto my phone from my mac (Windows Phone Connector). Maybe the servers are down?

Downloaded the same, prior to upgrade the free space was 4.27 Gb now it shows 3.98 Gb of free space

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks