Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2015, 12:32   #2146
BANNED

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Don’t know what happened to my 920 when I went home last week. The signal reception was poor, it kept fluctuating and it showed No Service for the most part. No 3G reception or Edge as well. I suspected an issue with the SIM card, swapped the SIM to another device and it worked fine, swapped another SIM into the 920 and it was acting up. So confirmed that the device has some issue.
Lumias seem to be a little sensitive to 'cut' SIMs. Did you get the right SIM (micro or nano) or did you get a regular SIM which was then cut to the right size? I had an occasional problem with a regular SIM cut to micro. The problem disappeared when I replaced with an actual micro SIM.
Old 11th April 2015, 12:33   #2147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Lumias seem to be a little sensitive to 'cut' SIMs. Did you get the right SIM (micro or nano) or did you get a regular SIM which was then cut to the right size? I had an occasional problem with a regular SIM cut to micro. The problem disappeared when I replaced with an actual micro SIM.
IIRC this was a regular SIM cut to a micro SIM. Will look into this option as well.
Old 13th April 2015, 21:20   #2148
Senior - BHPian

So, Windows 10 Technical Preview was released for a number of phones this weekend.

Read about the issues that were known in this build and decided not to go ahead with it on my primary phone, a Lumia 720.

But then got news that Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 was being pushed before the Windows 10 update. Problem being, you wouldn't know what you were downloading onto your phone before it asks for an installation.

So, as luck would have it, I got Windows 10 and not GDR2! Tried it for a little over 14-15 hours and am now reverting back to Windows Phone 8.1.

There were just too many bugs to make it an everyday OS for now. But does have a lot of promise.

Can't wait for the Preview for Developers!
Old 14th April 2015, 09:51   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
So, Windows 10 Technical Preview was released for a number of phones this weekend.

Read about the issues that were known in this build and decided not to go ahead with it on my primary phone, a Lumia 720.

But then got news that Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 was being pushed before the Windows 10 update. Problem being, you wouldn't know what you were downloading onto your phone before it asks for an installation.

So, as luck would have it, I got Windows 10 and not GDR2! Tried it for a little over 14-15 hours and am now reverting back to Windows Phone 8.1.

There were just too many bugs to make it an everyday OS for now. But does have a lot of promise.

Can't wait for the Preview for Developers!
I was eager to try the preview and literally stayed up half the night getting it to update.

To me the update is a disaster - partly because of the bugs, but mainly because of its departure from the design philosophy that made Windows Phone different from other OSes.

Here they are trying hard to imitate Android and iOS. I can't believe that they have even adopted the dreaded burger menu. All the simplicity in the email, messaging, dialer apps are gone.

The UI has become inconsistent. All the cohesiveness that was the hallmark of WP is missing. I hope this is really an alpha version and they would eventually build something as beautiful as the previous WP versions.

I am not uninstalling it yet, as I have a second phone in my pocket. I hope they would push updates as and when the bugs keep getting fixed.
Old 14th April 2015, 15:47   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Here they are trying hard to imitate Android and iOS. I can't believe that they have even adopted the dreaded burger menu. All the simplicity in the email, messaging, dialer apps are gone.
I completely agree.

I hope MS is listening to the thousands of users who are rallying against the Burger menus and want MS to stick to the three dots design theme.

I expected them to retain what was strong about the OS and fix the flat spots, in BHP speak. But looks like MS is looking at this upside down!

Every app had either a alpha or a beta symbol at the top-right. So I am sure we can expect some changes.

I also noticed that the OS was far quicker in learning texting patterns compared to earlier and it also learn from messaging apps like WhatsApp, which wasn't the case earlier.
Old 15th April 2015, 17:03   #2151
BHPian

The Windows 10 Mobile Technical Preview lasted just a day for me (NL720) and I am back to the good old Denim (8.1).

Here are some thoughts:
-Installation of Win 10 took a very long time - both download and install.
-The only UI change I liked in Win 10 was the keyboard layout.
-Phone history/speed dial is a joke - tabs instead (like Andriod) of panaroma page (swipe left/right)
-No Office, Onenote in this build
-Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar. One inbox that cannot be separately pinned to the home screen. I hate the burger menu, not sure why they brought it. This will take away the consistency in the UI.
-Notification is improved. Can dismiss individual items in a notification group.
-Performance is on the slower side. Battery is however not much affected by the upgrade.

I appreciate Microsoft for providing the preview to the users to get a feel of what to expect in future. To be fair, all the shortcomings were disclosed prior to the release. And I would not recommend the installation of the preview on your daily phone. After all its alpha.

Finally after playing around with it for a day, I reverted back with Windows 8.1. The Windows Phone Recovery Tool says that I have the latest software. Went ahead with Reinstall option. It indeed installed 8.1.

I will wait for the Windows 10 to get stable and then do a migration, probably on a new faster phone.

Weird banner at startup (Not for resale?)
The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20150413_0003791720.jpg

New keyboard layout:
The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20150413_0002789228.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I also noticed that the OS was far quicker in learning texting patterns compared to earlier and it also learn from messaging apps like WhatsApp, which wasn't the case earlier.
I agree the WordFlow keyboard is rock solid and the word prediction is unbeatable. It is in leagues ahead of the Android.

Last edited by bejoy : 15th April 2015 at 17:09.
Old 1st May 2015, 00:15   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I agree the WordFlow keyboard is rock solid and the word prediction is unbeatable. It is in leagues ahead of the Android.
Windows 10 will make it even better with it learning your typing across all applications and not only the stock Messaging application.

So, here's an update on my old faithful, Lumia that is 20 months old.

So a few days ago, I had an issue with the Capacitive Keys working by themselves. The phone would vigorously press the Search, Home and Back key in order it desires, and it goes on and on and on.

The fix to this apparently lay in getting rid of the screen guard I was using. And sure enough, the issue was gone once the screen guard was removed.

Although, the fact that I have been using the phone for 1 year and 8 months with a screen guard and haven't encountered such a problem made me wonder what was wrong. But, all's well that ends well. A new Capdase screen guard went onto the phone and all was well. Or so I thought.

Temperatures reach 36 degrees C where I live. At work, the Cafe is not air-conditioned while my cubicle is.

Yesterday, I rode to work on my motorcycle with my phone in my pocket. Once I reached work, I headed for the Cafe to find that the phone's capacitive keys were responding intermittently. I thought the issue was with the new screen guard, so I took it off and to my horror, no improvement. The keys still weren't responding properly. I didn't have much time to think about it and headed for my cubicle.

Once I reached my cubicle, the phone was still not functioning normally. I let the phone charge and went about my business. Then to notice a few hours later that the phone was back to normal. All the keys were working just as expected.

This morning, when I was at home, the phone was normal. But once I rode to work and got to the Cafe at work, the Capacitive Keys wouldn't work AT ALL. I thought my cubicle would help, but to no avail. Still the same thing after 3 hours in an air-conditioned environment.

Here are a few observations:

1) The LEDs behind the capacitive keys don't light up.
2) They do not vibrate when touched either
3) The power button also seems to be cranky. I notice the Slide Down to Power Off screen sometimes even when I haven't touched the power button.
4) Soft reset did not help at all
5) I had downgraded from WP10 TP to WP8.1 just a few weeks ago.

I thought it could be that the environmental temperature coupled with the denims made the phone too hot and hence was acting bonkers. So I thought that the air-conditioned environment of the cubicle got it back to working state.

And the oddest part, sometimes, when I blow cold air at the Capacitive Keys, the LED lights up slowly and once I stop, the turns off again.

Finally, I took it to the Nokia Care at Gandhi Bazaar, Bangalore.

They told me the touch panel had gone kaput.

And replacing the same would cost me Rs. 9,220. Now, my phone was well over a year old. So am I going to pay Rs. 9,220?

Nope.

I bought Microsoft's Extended Warranty earlier for Rs. 525!

The phone was checked for physical damage or liquid entry and I got a positive go ahead on the warranty status.

As a result, my device will be repaired free of cost. And the person at the service center told me that the Lumia 720 is no longer being manufactured, as a result, IF the spares are not available, I will be given a Lumia 730 as replacement. This whole process will take 15-20 days. I also got a Nokia C2-01 as a standby for the time being.

This is the best Rs. 525 I have ever spent!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 1st May 2015 at 00:17.
Old 1st May 2015, 13:28   #2153
Senior - BHPian

So what's with this inability to connect to Store on WiFi and at times even on 3G. My wife uses Lumia 1020 but I faced this issue on my mom's lumia also when she was visiting us.

The phone simply doesn't connect to Store until I keep on trying for like 5-7 mins. There are days when it simply won't update apps, no matter how long I try it for.

Are these known issues? I was not able to resolve this in spite of numerous google searches.
Old 3rd May 2015, 10:42   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Are these known issues? I was not able to resolve this in spite of numerous google searches.
I faced similar problem on my lumia 1320, the store did not connect, I got errors while downloading new apps and updates for installed apps. I could not even download os updates on my wifi, though things were fine on 3g. My cousin faced these issues on his lumia 1020 also, when he connected to my home's wifi network.
I figured out, the problem was with my mtnl wifi router, changed it with a netgear router and now everything works perfectly fine...
Old 3rd May 2015, 20:22   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post
I figured out, the problem was with my mtnl wifi router, changed it with a netgear router and now everything works perfectly fine...
Though I have MTNL broadband but the router I use is Netgear. Its a strange problem, I mean sometime it connects sometime it doesn't, like has a mood of its own.

However, this problem is not only with broadband, same thing happens when I try using Vodafone's 3G.
Old 4th May 2015, 00:08   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Though I have MTNL broadband but the router I use is Netgear.
Ohh you too use mtnl broadband, then I am damn sure that is where the problem lies :-D
At times, the store is also down for a few minutes, read it on a few windows phone forums. So may be at that time it does not open even while on 3g.
The best way to test it is, next time the store does not open, try switching to 3g and see if it opens.
Also do you use netgear's modem cum router or only the router for wifi?
When I faced this problem, I searched on a lot of windows phone forums and could not find any solution.
Also try to open flipkart's website on a desktop/laptop using your wifi, if it does not open, mtnl is definitely the culprit for the problem that you are facing on your windows phones.
Old 18th May 2015, 14:19   #2157
BHPian

There is a new build (100800) of the Technical preview now rechristened as Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview.

The new build has brought a lot of stability to the system - there are a lot less system crashes and after running for 2 days I never had to reset/restart the phone.

Some old apps and a few settings continue to not work.

I have reverted to using my Lumia as my primary phone after the short hiatus.

I continue to detest the new UI design philosophy, but I hope to get used to it down the line.
Old 25th May 2015, 19:00   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Been using a Nokia 1020 since a month. got this as a replacement phone while my Xperia Z2 is off for repair under warranty.

about the 1020 - phenomenal camera. I've stopped taking my DSLR alongwith me these days. hardware, not much to complain although there is some lag while switching windows etc.

about WP 8.1 - I like the tiles menu and the quick data peak under each tile. all in all, feels good for simple usage.

having used Androids for the last 2 yrs, I miss the openness of the platform and the accessibility to apps. while there are apps in windows market for each/most that exist on google play, not all work well. for eg - I can't make WiFi calls via Rebtel.
Being dependant on google networks of apps, it is tough to stay away. most of my reminders are on google keep and I now have no access.

I have another weird problem - Nokia Here Maps. it has worked brilliantly on my android phone but refuses to work well in the 1020. weird as it was a Nokia product.
Route calculation error put me in a lot of trouble recently while driving in Denmark.

all in all, I am unable to use this phone as a proper replacement to my Android phone and that limits useability and increases frustration.

just my view. others could have very different opinion.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:33   #2159
Senior - BHPian

For the last few days, the soft buttons on my Lumia 720 isn't working. The back, home and search button and its been driving me nuts as I can't get to the home page and the phone is stuck in whichever screen I navigate to after a restart. The only way to move was to catch hold of notifications or pin any app to the start page.

Anyways, Nokia center asked for 7k to replace the display which they deemed was not working and pointed me to a small crack at the bottom which happened some 6 months back.

Decided against fixing the phone and was very keen on picking up the 730 as I love the WP experience. The 730 was much faster than the 720 but god knows how long it will last once the updates go in.

The only other option was a Motorola as I like the simple layout of pure droid. So moving away from the WP platform after 2 years. I will remain a fan of the the simple and very smooth UI. If only the phone had a bit more RAM.
Old 27th May 2015, 03:15   #2160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
So moving away from the WP platform after 2 years. I will remain a fan of the simple and very smooth UI. If only the phone had a bit more RAM.
Thats the point with Windows phone; while using you'll love it for its simplicity and ease of use. But only when you switch to Android or iOS you'll understand how far too basic it was

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks