Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2015, 15:00   #2131
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

My LUMIA (925) Experience

Everything was fine up until a couple of weeks back, one fine evening while at Office, a popup appeared on my phone saying an update is ready for download (I was like - Yeah, finally the Denim upgrade is here). I 'accepted' and the download started. During the upgrade, the phone switched off (customary reboots during upgrades), nothing to worry about, right? WRONG!

My phone did not startup since then. I tried everything - Soft reset, Hard reset, Lumia recovery tool, etc. But no luck. The device was (is) not vibrating at all. Only the Windows icon was blinking when connected it to a charger.

Went down to Nokia Care (K'mangala 5th Block) and they inspected the device and anticipated a probable H/W issue and asked me to deposit the device. After about 3 weeks, they call me up and say - "Saar, as we said on that day, your phone has physical & liquid damage. Its unrepairable. Please come and collect your phone".
They did not say anything about any damage when I deposited my phone! Anyway, drove down there and they showed me the Estimate letter (which I signed while depositing the device) and they had ticked the 'Ohysical damage' and 'Liquid damage' boxes after I had signed it. As usual, they did not accept that and returned me a bricked phone!

Nokia service and reliability has deteriorated a lot in the last couple of years!

The only solution they are proposing is to send the phone to Nokia and get the motherboard replaced (approx 18-20k)

Thinking of getting it checked at a local technician's place? What do you guys say?
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows Phone Thread-img_20150328_142847__1427533725_122.171.193.72.jpg  

Old 28th March 2015, 15:23   #2132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Nokia service and reliability has deteriorated a lot in the last couple of years!
You are dealing not with Nokia but Microsoft, the giant from Redmond
Quote:
Thinking of getting it checked at a local technician's place? What do you guys say?
Definitely yes. My friend got Lumia digitizer replaced from mobile shop in Koramangala for 1/3rd of the cost quoted by the service center. He had good reviews about the work. I can provide the details on Monday.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:49   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
My LUMIA (925) Experience

Had a similar experience with my son's 820 purchased in September 2013. The phone suddenly switched off in the middle of a conversation and no amount of hard/soft resets would bring it back to life. So we handed over the set to a nearby Nokia Care Center who eventually gave a quote of Rs. 6,500/- for repairs.

After 10 days and innumerable phone calls later, they returned the handset stating that it was irreparable.

Fortunately, my son remembered that the handset had been purchased from Mobile Store and came along with 1 year's extended warranty. So, off we went to the Mobile Store Outlet. They verified the fact that the extended warranty was still in force, checked the handset for physical /water damage and accepted it for repair.

I received an SMS within an hour from their call centre confirming repair under extended warranty, regular SMS updates regarding progress, an SMS telling me that repairs were complete and the phone was being dispatched to the Mobile Store outlet where it was deposited and a final SMS informing me that the phone was ready for collection. Overall, an extremely smooth and satisfactory experience and totally FOC.

From what I could gather from the Mobile Store staff during my interaction with them while collecting the phone, it appears that Microsoft has stopped supporting Nokia Care Centers and an alternative is not yet in place.

I guess I was simply lucky to have made the purchase from Mobile Store.

Standard Disclaimer: I am in no way connected to Mobile Store other than being a satisfied customer
Old 1st April 2015, 00:19   #2134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post

From what I could gather from the Mobile Store staff during my interaction with them while collecting the phone, it appears that Microsoft has stopped supporting Nokia Care Centers and an alternative is not yet in place.
Quite surprising. Nokia care centers are officially being renamed as Microsoft care center, with the boards and media being changed. I recently visited the Nokia care center to replace the display and touch screen of my fathers 730 and there was no difference in the way they functioned. The only grouse I have now is that I cant extend the warranty of my 925 They say that we can extend the warranty only for models in production. However, the microsoft website says otherwise, ie phones under warranty can always be extended until the warranty expires. If I had known this earlier I would have got it extended. IIRC I had extended my 710s warranty after it was pulled out of production.
Old 1st April 2015, 12:54   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Quite surprising. Nokia care centers are officially being renamed as Microsoft care center, with the boards and media being changed.
Hasn't happened as yet in Kolkata. In fact, quite a few have closed down recently.
Old 1st April 2015, 12:57   #2136
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if the whattsapp calling feature has been released for Windows phones?
Old 1st April 2015, 13:01   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Does anyone know if the whattsapp calling feature has been released for Windows phones?

I tried to update WhatsApp yesterday, tried to update windows, tried re-booting the phone, but to no avail. It seems that the calling feature is yet to be enabled for Windows phones
Old 1st April 2015, 13:04   #2138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to update WhatsApp yesterday, tried to update windows, tried re-booting the phone, but to no avail. It seems that the calling feature is yet to be enabled for Windows phones
Sad to know that Windows seems to be the last priority. It is always:-

Android --> IOS --> Blackberry --> Windows.
Old 1st April 2015, 13:14   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hasn't happened as yet in Kolkata. In fact, quite a few have closed down recently.
In Chennai, new Microsoft priority stores have opened, replacing some of the older ones.
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:34   #2140
BANNED

Looking for a good windows phone with camera on similar lines of Lumia 1020.
How is Lumia 930 or 830. Or any other options,
Pure phone for calling , camera and whatsapp
730 does not have a camera button
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:53   #2141
BHPian

Tried out the 'MS DOS Mobile' app yesterday and its quite a fun using it.

Especially for those who had used MS DOS extensively, it going to be quite nostalgic.

Try out here: https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...26?signin=true
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:02   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
They say that we can extend the warranty only for models in production.
Oh boy!

I had extended the warranty of my Lumia 720 in August 2014. I bought it off of here:
http://nokia.indiatimes.com/nokia/no...10041/p_B17363

And my phone is still in warranty according to the Microsoft website.

Sadly enough, only these phones seem to be eligible for extended warranty now:
Nokia 100-200, Nokia 1000-2000, Asha-200 Series, Nokia 3000-7000, Asha 300, Lumia 530/630/730, Nokia X2/XL, Lumia-830/930/1320/1520
Old 11th April 2015, 11:08   #2143
Team-BHP Support

Don’t know what happened to my 920 when I went home last week. The signal reception was poor, it kept fluctuating and it showed No Service for the most part. No 3G reception or Edge as well. I suspected an issue with the SIM card, swapped the SIM to another device and it worked fine, swapped another SIM into the 920 and it was acting up. So confirmed that the device has some issue. Restarted a dozen times to no avail. Removed the screws, opened the device to check if the antenna ribbon cable is loose - no issues with that there either.

Returned to Gujarat yesterday morn. and it is working fine as usual. Have faced no issues since then and have been able to browse through 3G as well. Very strange!
Old 11th April 2015, 11:47   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Don’t know what happened to my 920 when I went home last week. The signal reception was poor, it kept fluctuating and it showed No Service for the most part. No 3G reception or Edge as well. I suspected an issue with the SIM card, swapped the SIM to another device and it worked fine, swapped another SIM into the 920 and it was acting up. So confirmed that the device has some issue. Restarted a dozen times to no avail. Removed the screws, opened the device to check if the antenna ribbon cable is loose - no issues with that there either.

Returned to Gujarat yesterday morn. and it is working fine as usual. Have faced no issues since then and have been able to browse through 3G as well. Very strange!
I was facing the exact problem with my Lumia 735. Sometimes, there was so much disturbance during the call that it was impossible to hear the other person.

I have just returned the phone to the shop from where it was purchased, they will be sending it to the Nokia service center. Lets see how that turns out.

I will recommend you also give it for a check once with the service center.
Old 11th April 2015, 12:04   #2145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I will recommend you also give it for a check once with the service center.
I thought of handing it over to the Priority Centre here when I returned but I can't replicate the issues now. Will do it when it resurfaces.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks