Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 15:06   #2101
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Windows phone users

I am planning to take the plunge and go for Lumia 930 or 1520. I have used all other platforms starting with Blackberry->IOS->Android. So now i want to try out Windows phone.

Budget is around 40k max. I am fine with the limited apps in the store.

Is it worth diving into Windows phone world?
I bought Lumia 930 few months back after debating a lot between 830 Vs 930. I wanted to buy x30 as these come with 8.1 out of the box, compared to x20 series. Also 1520 is too big to my liking. Even with 930, I have problem reaching all the area of phone in one handed operation.

830 is slimmer, comes with memory card and removable battery. But it has less processing power than 930 and less display density.

930 has nice LED screen with higher processing power. Feature like 'Hey Cortana' will be available on 930, but not on 830.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Is it worth diving into Windows phone world?
Only thing I miss in Windows phone is Google maps (but you can get gmaps which is based on Google maps). Otherwise Windows phone is as good as or better than other OS.
Old 26th February 2015, 18:19   #2102
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys, my 925 got the denim update yesterday and I noticed that there was the option to add cellular data to the quick settings in the notifications area which wasn't there earlier. However on my fathers 730 this is not present. Why is this so? Should the 730 too get some minor update for this?
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20150226_0001.png  

Old 26th February 2015, 19:11   #2103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
However on my fathers 730 this is not present. Why is this so?
I got this on my 525 after my Denim update.
Old 26th February 2015, 20:45   #2104
Senior - BHPian

The fellow at the Reliance Digital store told me the 1320 has been updated to Windows 8.1. Is that true? The 730 was not available.
Old 27th February 2015, 06:49   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hi guys, my 925 got the denim update yesterday and I noticed that there was the option to add cellular data to the quick settings in the notifications area which wasn't there earlier. However on my fathers 730 this is not present. Why is this so? Should the 730 too get some minor update for this?
Yes the 730 should get an update for this. Option isn't available yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The fellow at the Reliance Digital store told me the 1320 has been updated to Windows 8.1. Is that true? The 730 was not available.
Yes 1320 has been updated to Windows 8.1. Search for Lumia 730 at local shops. You would get it there and for a better price.
Old 27th February 2015, 07:51   #2106
Team-BHP Support

Updated my 920 to Denim yesterday. Thank goodness, the Mobile Data notification button has come up. A lot of users had requested the WP team for the feature by voting and it has finally made it. I was glad to see that email in the inbox which read that this feature has been included in the Denim update. Time to request for more such stuff.

Haven't used Cortana yet. How's the response? I had briefly chanced upon using Siri in a friend's device and it was good. Returned good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Only thing I miss in Windows phone is Google maps (but you can get gmaps which is based on Google maps). Otherwise Windows phone is as good as or better than other OS.
How about the internet browser? I so miss Chrome on WP. Internet Explorer would barely match the experience that Chrome provides. Try booking a ticket on IRCTC using a WP.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th February 2015 at 07:55.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:25   #2107
BHPian

Any idea when would the 625 get this denim updates? It was expected in Jan if I am not wrong & we are rolling over into march now.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:32   #2108
BHPian

Folks,

One quick query on Denim update:

Please confirm if this supports Good For Enterprise App or not.
Waiting since long to access my office mails.

Thanks in advance.

Maverick79.
Old 27th February 2015, 18:11   #2109
Senior - BHPian

So finally Microsoft blessed my L1520 with Denim.

The Windows Phone Thread-wp-update.jpg

Lumia Camera 5 is awesome

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 28th February 2015, 07:15   #2110
BHPian

My lumia 925 downloads the denim update. But at the end of the download, it gives an error: the update was downloaded but couldn't be opened 8018830f.

Trying again goes through the download process again, ending with the same error.

I tried multiple times, restarted, hard reset, tried an alternate wifi internet etc, but no avail.

Any ideas?
Old 28th February 2015, 09:18   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My lumia 925 downloads the denim update. But at the end of the download, it gives an error: the update was downloaded but couldn't be opened 8018830f.
Quote:
If your phone was enrolled in the Windows Phone Developer Preview Program but was reset or otherwise removed from the program, the Lumia Denim update will not be available, or reports an error 8018830f. To recover this, first check your phone for any of the updates for the Developer Preview and then install the Lumia Denim update.
You may also use the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to remove the Developer Preview Program and return your phone to the official Lumia update. You can download the tool at www.microsoft.com/mobile/support/recovery-tool.
This was an error I remember reading about on Windows Central. You can use the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to directly install Denim on your phone.
Old 1st March 2015, 15:37   #2112
Senior - BHPian

How is the music player and head phones quality of the Lumia 730? How is the music play back? Do we need to buy new head phones?
Old 1st March 2015, 18:21   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
How is the music player and head phones quality of the Lumia 730? How is the music play back? Do we need to buy new head phones?
Music player and music playback is pretty good. But the earphones are bad. Really bad. They are the same ones that Nokia gives (used to give) with way cheaper handsets. You are better off buying a better pair of earphones or headphones as per your preference.
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:32   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
This was an error I remember reading about on Windows Central. You can use the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to directly install Denim on your phone.
Thank you very much. That was the exact issue.

The phone earlier had the 8.1 developer preview. So I again installed the dev preview app, then it downloaded and installed a series of updates and at the end it downloaded the Denim update and installed successfully.

The OS is still very smooth after the update. Contrast that to the Androids where the phone becomes progressively unusable after each update.

On the flip side, IE still eats a lot of battery. I thought they had plans of fixing it.
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:38   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Music player and music playback is pretty good. But the earphones are bad. Really bad. They are the same ones that Nokia gives (used to give) with way cheaper handsets. You are better off buying a better pair of earphones or headphones as per your preference.
If you like your music, you will certainly need to buy new ear phones.

You can try the Coloud Pop. They cost me Rs. 1299. But the quality is brilliant. I especially like how the wires never get entangled!

That said, the Windows Phone 8.1 music player is not as good as it was prior to the update. But the Windows 10 music player seems to hold a lot of promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Thank you very much. That was the exact issue.

The phone earlier had the 8.1 developer preview. So I again installed the dev preview app, then it downloaded and installed a series of updates and at the end it downloaded the Denim update and installed successfully.

The OS is still very smooth after the update. Contrast that to the Androids where the phone becomes progressively unusable after each update.

On the flip side, IE still eats a lot of battery. I thought they had plans of fixing it.
Glad I could help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks