Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 08:54   #1876
BANNED

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

What's the difference between a 520 and a 530. Is the single SIM, dual SIM the only difference or are there other differences?

Also between a 520/530 & a 525 - which is a better phone & why?

I own a 525 & I am looking to buy a Lumia for the wife & hence wondering what's preferable.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:04   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What's the difference between a 520 and a 530. Is the single SIM, dual SIM the only difference or are there other differences?

Also between a 520/530 & a 525 - which is a better phone & why?

I own a 525 & I am looking to buy a Lumia for the wife & hence wondering what's preferable.
530 has very very low internal memory so you will have to buy Class 6 or above micro SD.

I believe 525 is a better phone because of higher RAM (1 GB) it offers.

Quote:
The 5MP camera on the Nokia Lumia 530 drops auto focusing ability that was available in the Lumia 520 and 525. And, it further cripples the video capture ability by cutting down the maximum resolution to 480p instead of the 720p on the Nokia Lumia 520/525

No dedicated camera shutter button: Another area where Nokia has dropped a unique feature that made Lumia devices stand out, the dedicated camera shutter button is now gone!

Last edited by alpha1 : 30th September 2014 at 11:16.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:54   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Lumia users

After using Blackberry, Apple and Android ( 2 years each), I am seriously considering a Windows phone next. I am impressed with the new Lumia 930 (yet to be launched in India).

The specs look good, build quality has always been very good of all Lumia phones, the camera is outstanding and the screen contrast is awesome. I dont care about how many millions apps are there in the Windows market. I know whatever apps I have on my current phone will surely run on the Lumia 930.

I am only concerned a bit about the battery life and the OS itself. My Note 2 goes for a full 2 days with normal to heavy usage pattern. I hope 930 goes for an entire day at least. The Windows 8.1 upgrade has caused a few irritating issues and I hope MS is working on those.

I am not even thinking about Phablet to non-Phablet, Android to Windows migration arguments.

Whats say friends!
Old 30th September 2014, 15:57   #1879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am impressed with the new Lumia 930 (yet to be launched in India). I am only concerned a bit about the battery life and the OS itself. My Note 2 goes for a full 2 days with normal to heavy usage pattern. I hope 930 goes for an entire day at least. The Windows 8.1 upgrade has caused a few irritating issues and I hope MS is working on those.
I was earlier looking at the 930, but Nokia India aren't listing it on their website anymore, so I'm not sure if its not scheduled to come here in the near future. The highest end phone now listed is the Lumia 830. The other downer about the 930 is the absence of micro-SD support.

As a platform, I've been pleased with Windows Phone (I currently use a Lumia 720). Yes, when 8.1 came out, I experienced instability and poor battery life (also exacerbated by my company rolling out the AirWatch MDM agent to secure official email). But I'm on the Developer Preview which gives the latest updates without waiting for carriers to certify it. On that, I've received newer updates since August that have improved battery life back to almost the original levels. Right now, my battery goes for about 1.5 - 2 days on a single charge, although I charge my phone overnight every night.

So, yes, I'm now back as a happy user of Windows Phone. App selection - you'll find almost every app that really matters!
Old 30th September 2014, 16:24   #1880
Senior - BHPian

At last me too finally gifted myself a Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black)

Review in one word - 'awesome'

Goodbye to 3 year Android experience with Xperia Ray (still new). I got all my alternate apps at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/store/featured-apps

Was aiming for L930 initially but it don't have a SD card slot and battery endurance is average.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 30th September 2014, 16:27   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Remember this? It has become a fast fading distant memory to me after I upgraded to 8.1 version. Now I am lucky to get even 24 hours. It started getting drained in 18hours if whatsapp was on. So I got rid of whatsapp. Now I get just 24 hours.

How can I revert back to the sensible 8.0 version? The biggest feature provided by 8.1 is battery drain, and I am not interested in it.
and i was wondering what happened to my phone battery my 925 does not last a day any more even with light usage
Old 30th September 2014, 17:29   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
At last me too finally gifted myself a Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black)

Review in one word - 'awesome'

Vinu
Good one !

Did you get Windows 8.1 out of the box? I am used to Note 2 size at 5.6 inches. But I wanted to know how uncomfortable does 1520 get at 6 inches? I read that even though its 6 inches in size, the edges are thin and overall structure makes it convenient to carry around.

What did you pay for it? Flipkart is selling it at 37k as of today.
Old 30th September 2014, 17:58   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Good one !
I switch on the device and first thing did was 8.1 update. (two updates close to 1GB download)

It is big, really big but it is surprisingly pocket friendly and handy too. For 33340 from mobile store last week when Citibank credit card 5% cash-back was running. I had another RS 1000 Mobile store discount voucher. Now prices had increased close to 38000.

Last edited by myavu : 30th September 2014 at 18:00.
Old 30th September 2014, 21:29   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Remember this? It has become a fast fading distant memory to me after I upgraded to 8.1 version. Now I am lucky to get even 24 hours. It started getting drained in 18hours if whatsapp was on. So I got rid of whatsapp. Now I get just 24 hours.

How can I revert back to the sensible 8.0 version? The biggest feature provided by 8.1 is battery drain, and I am not interested in it.
You can try flashing using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It has been to revive many a phone.

That said, a hard reset should fix the battery discharge problem. Sometimes, the update seem to mess up the phone. A hard reset fixes them right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
and i was wondering what happened to my phone battery my 925 does not last a day any more even with light usage
Try a hard reset. Has always worked for me whenever the updates end up dragging my battery life down a black hole.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:01   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
You can try flashing using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It has been to revive many a phone.

That said, a hard reset should fix the battery discharge problem. Sometimes, the update seem to mess up the phone. A hard reset fixes them right up.

Try a hard reset. Has always worked for me whenever the updates end up dragging my battery life down a black hole.
thanks. please elaborate on the hard reset and how it is done and what all does it do. will definitely give it a shot.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:08   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks. please elaborate on the hard reset and how it is done and what all does it do. will definitely give it a shot.
Go to Settings > About

And hit Reset Phone.

As for what it does, it wipes the phone memory. All the applications you installed will be lost. But your contacts are synced with Outlook and will be got back immediately after the reset is complete and the sync with your Outlook account is completed.

Follow this process usually:

1) Reset the phone
2) Once the reset is complete, the Windows Store app will install a few applications. Restart after this.
3) Go back to your Store application and go to Settings and ask it to Check for Updates.
4) Install these updates and apps. Restart again.
5) To install WhatsApp, install the app. But DON'T open it.
6) After installation, restart.
7) Now open WhatsApp and go about the normal routine.

This should fix battery issues. It has for me!
Old 1st October 2014, 14:11   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Go to Settings > About

And hit Reset Phone.

As for what it does, it wipes the phone memory. All the applications you installed will be lost. But your contacts are synced with Outlook and will be got back immediately after the reset is complete and the sync with your Outlook account is completed.

Follow this process usually:

1) Reset the phone
2) Once the reset is complete, the Windows Store app will install a few applications. Restart after this.
3) Go back to your Store application and go to Settings and ask it to Check for Updates.
4) Install these updates and apps. Restart again.
5) To install WhatsApp, install the app. But DON'T open it.
6) After installation, restart.
7) Now open WhatsApp and go about the normal routine.

This should fix battery issues. It has for me!
hmmm. its a tricky one. All apps will be lost. does backing up the phone help. Does the backup restore all apps and settings. dont care much about the most apps, but email and a couple other will be a pain to install again with their settings etc. contacts are not a problem. have them synced with google.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:20   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmmm. its a tricky one. All apps will be lost. does backing up the phone help. Does the backup restore all apps and settings. dont care much about the most apps, but email and a couple other will be a pain to install again with their settings etc. contacts are not a problem. have them synced with google.
I did backup the phone and then reset the phone. But on restoring the backup, the phone had only Data Sense on the homescreen! The settings didn't seem to be restored at all though.

So I had to end up discarding the backup and stick to the normal routine or reinstalling the apps.

You can get these apps from Store, click the 3 dots on the bottom right and to go My Apps.
Old 1st October 2014, 16:57   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Lumia 930 launched today.

http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-930-launches-india
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:17   #1890
BANNED

Found a neat feature of the 8.1 shape writing keyboard (may be this is there in 8.0 also, no idea).

After you have written something, tap a word & select the whole word. Then tap once on the capitalize key (looks like an Up Arrow on the left of the keyboard) - the first letter of the selected word capitalizes. Tap twice and the whole selected word capitalizes. Neat.

Most Viewed