Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Long HDMI cable in pune And HD play question

(Mods :- Please move / merge the thread if similar thread exists)

1) Recently brought Philips HDMI player and now trying to connect it to DVD. I brought two HDMI cables 1meter long (1500 Rs), 1.5 meter long(300Rs ) .

But still I am not able to complete my setup.

So where can I get 3+ meter at cheaper (less than 1000 Rs) price in pune / Bombay?/ Or HDMI extender(female-female)?

2) I have few Divx files which are encoded in HD(1280* something). My philips HDMI player is not able to play them and when I searched the documents I found that No DVD player in india is supporting HD Divx play and they support only limited resolition( 720* something)

So my conlusion
There is no way through which we can watch half , Full HD video in any format through any dvd player in india. ( and my 5 year 20k desktop computer is playing them happily )

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:02   #2
BHPian

Ans for Q#2.
You are correct that you cannot play any HD content through the DVD player unless you have an HD player. HDMI port only helps to play upscaled video on your LCD TV. The only option will be to play those HD encoded files on your PC/laptop and connect it to the TV directly using DVI/VGA (or HDMI if your laptop has HDMI out) cable.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:16   #3
BHPian

As for the HDMI cable, MX electronics now makes them and they aren't that expensive. Try locating a MX dealer in your city and inquire.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:18   #4
BHPian

I Do have DVI port on my other desktop but then I will need atlest 15 meter wire for this.
Question is , will there be any impact on picture quality if I transmit data through 15 meter long cable?
Old 8th September 2008, 14:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

From what I have heard for HDMI cables upto 20mtrs is safe. After that there is signal deterioration. But this is only from what I have heard. I am using a 15mtrs cable from my DVD player to the projector and no loss in quality.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
(Mods :- Please move / merge the thread if similar thread exists)

1) Recently brought Philips HDMI player and now trying to connect it to DVD. I brought two HDMI cables 1meter long (1500 Rs), 1.5 meter long(300Rs ) .
Which is the Philips model you purchased and at what price ? I am contemplating purchasing Philips. Also specify the brand of the HDMI cables ?
Old 19th September 2008, 10:19   #7
BHPian

I bought DVP5986K/98 , the 1 meter cable is branded one and the 1.5 meter is non branded. But both are working fine.
So save your money don't buy the branded gold etc etc HDMI cable.
Old 19th September 2008, 14:39   #8
BHPian

Check out "popcorn hour" media player. It is getting some good reviews and reasonably priced. Dont think its available in India though.

Most Viewed