Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 14:49   #1411
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Thanks Aroy. Will the A/C last 9 years (until 2020) in the first place?
And, isn't every A/C coming with R22 anyway?
Not all. Most of the imported sets (and that includes most of the inverter and all VRF) use R410A as R22 is banned abroad.
Set Free R41OA : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India)Ltd.
here is explanation of how inverter AC works
http://www.hitachi-hli.com/pdfs/Hita...cification.pdf
Samsung stabilizer free
Welcome Summer with a Revolution - AS125UGA
Old 19th January 2011, 17:44   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Like KHOJ said, If Daikin a/c's with R134 and R140 are cheaper, I don't see a reason why you should go with R22.
Hey devarshi84,

What I said was that the inverter ac with the R134 gas would be 50K+. Hence more expensive compared to the R22 filled inverter ac cost of which is posted as 43K(rounded off) by hellmet.

Ciao

Last edited by khoj : 19th January 2011 at 17:47.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:21   #1413
Senior - BHPian

@devarshi: I will say that in nine years time the improvements in efficiency alone will make a new AC more than worthwhile. Remember a decade ago 12-14A for a 1.5 tonner was de rigeur.
Old 21st January 2011, 17:52   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Our Samsung 2-ton has gone to the workshop. The guy is actually advising us not to go on giving him money to fix it, but to replace it! He says that Samsung stuff just does not survive our atmosphere.

We'll see where the leaks are. Maybe one more repair and fill, then I guess I'll be shopping, probably for a Daikin, I think.
Old 21st January 2011, 18:06   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Our Samsung 2-ton has gone to the workshop. The guy is actually advising us not to go on giving him money to fix it, but to replace it! He says that Samsung stuff just does not survive our atmosphere.

We'll see where the leaks are. Maybe one more repair and fill, then I guess I'll be shopping, probably for a Daikin, I think.
I also had a bad experience with Samsung AC. It had niggles perennially. After 3 years of ownership I threw it away and bought a Hitachi. Though their electronics is good, some how their AC just don't jell in India.
Old 21st January 2011, 21:37   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

perennial: did you know that means a plant that lasts at least three years? I didn't: I just looked it up. (I thought it just meant flowering every year)

Seems about right for our poor Samsung.

On the other hand, the metaphorical meaning is, as you use it, forever. Which also seems about right for the problems.

Words... AC machines...
Old 22nd January 2011, 13:03   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
perennial: did you know that means a plant that lasts at least three years? I didn't: I just looked it up. (I thought it just meant flowering every year)

Seems about right for our poor Samsung.

On the other hand, the metaphorical meaning is, as you use it, forever. Which also seems about right for the problems.

Words... AC machines...
On a light note.

The perennial was for the niggles. It lasted nearly 3 years, could have been more if I had retained it.
There is spate of AC leaking gas every year at Mayur Vihar, Delhi. The local mechanics claim that the gas emanating from a near by drain is responsible for the leaks! Not at all convinced of the reason, but the fact is that many of my friends living near that drain have faced this problem and are refilling gas every summer.
Old 22nd January 2011, 15:19   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not discount it. Where I a, there is fumes from the Buckingham Canal, and lots of small, entirely unregulated industry. Steel items that I have had for decades rust, and copper goes black and flaky.
Old 28th January 2011, 01:38   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our Samsung 2-ton has gone to the workshop. ...
And come back again.

4 leaks fixed, gas recharged. Cost Rs.2,000

There's quite a few two-thousands in the cost of a new 2-ton Daikin, so I guess we'll plan to do it a few more times! Definately time to start budgeting, though.

Repair man's point of view: if the leaks are in the coil itself, forget it: if in the other piping, he can fix.
Old 28th January 2011, 02:59   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And come back again.

4 leaks fixed, gas recharged. Cost Rs.2,000
I hope that your man pressure tested the machine this time around. Leaked coils can be bypassed but majority of the mechanics are neither adapt at brazing straight tubes nor will they venture anywhere close to the bends.

Next time you plan to buy a new one you could look at Mitsubishi Electric. I have found this to be as good as if not better than Daikin in performance, noise levels at nearly 35% less price for a given tonnage.
Old 28th January 2011, 12:28   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope that your man pressure tested the machine this time around.
I hope so too! I believe our leaks were at the bends.

Mitsubishi... noted. I always thought this was a super-expensive make, and hadn't looked into it. Thanks.

As I was turned on our bedroom AC at 5.00am, I reflected that silence is not always what's required. Of course, nobody wants a clattering hunk of machinery, but I quite often use the bedroom machine as as sort of white-noise-curtain, and it is very good at insulating me from life outside. I quite often go to sleep at India's getting-up time!
Old 28th January 2011, 15:24   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I hope that your man pressure tested the machine this time around. Leaked coils can be bypassed but majority of the mechanics are neither adapt at brazing straight tubes nor will they venture anywhere close to the bends.

Next time you plan to buy a new one you could look at Mitsubishi Electric. I have found this to be as good as if not better than Daikin in performance, noise levels at nearly 35% less price for a given tonnage.
As per what I know, It is Mitsubishi Heavy that rates above Mitsubishi Electric. But then I am not the technical guy.
Old 28th January 2011, 18:20   #1423
Senior - BHPian

We own three split ACs in our home.

1) Voltas Vertis 1.0 Ton for living room (installed in july 2007)

2) Samsung Split AC 1.0 Ton for bed room (installed in may 2008)

3) Voltas Vertis 1.5 Ton for drawing room (installed in march 2010)

overall i am happy with all three air conditioners, though samsung outdoor unit condenser coil leaked and had to refill the gas and repaired the puncture for around 2000 INR.
Old 28th January 2011, 22:57   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
As per what I know, It is Mitsubishi Heavy that rates above Mitsubishi Electric. But then I am not the technical guy.
Yes, I have heard that too but never seen any dealer network for the 'Heavy' range, trust these are available only from the grey channel. The ME range is sold with bill and warranty and I have been using it for some years now. Further I think the 'Heavy' just might be Mitsu's range for commercial usage. However it is speculation on my part untill I actually see the machines.
Ciao
Old 29th January 2011, 10:48   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Both Electric and Heavy were imported privately. Electric by Nova and Heavy by International Aircon. But I guess Electric has now entered the market officially.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks