Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 22:53   #1396
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I am toying with an idea of buying an AC with heat pump. Any suggestions!
Old 10th January 2011, 22:54   #1397
BHPian

If you cannot afford the Daikin inverter AC units(they cost a lot), I suggest you go for this specific model from Hitachi and that too the 1.2 tonne version. This is the one that is meant for the abused room of the ATM machines where the doors are always opened and closed.

Logicool Split Air Conditioners : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 10th January 2011 at 22:55.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:49   #1398
Senior - BHPian

HItachi Heavy also has some Ac's with heat pump. Also I think Videocon has one unit too. Not sure about their performance though.

But Daikin units are efficient.
Old 18th January 2011, 09:23   #1399
BHPian

This is a really informative thread! Guys, I have a couple of questions.

I'm looking to buy two 1.5 ton A/Cs for two of our bedrooms and am totally confused between brands. One of the two A/Cs will be running for atleast 12 hours a day, the other probably 8 hours. I'm guessing an inverter type A/C makes sense either way, but I'm not sure. Features like bio-sleep I think, would be beneficial in power saving. To sum it up, I want an A/C I can use for long hours, without cringing about power bills. I'm not the "A/C for 2 hours, then use fan" types

Also, my room has poor insulation. Cold in the winter and heat in the summer get in easily, though it is not sun facing. Has someone got their rooms insulated and if yes, could you please provide some details?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 18th January 2011, 11:03   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
This is a really informative thread! Guys, I have a couple of questions.

I'm looking to buy two 1.5 ton A/Cs for two of our bedrooms and am totally confused between brands. One of the two A/Cs will be running for atleast 12 hours a day, the other probably 8 hours. I'm guessing an inverter type A/C makes sense either way, but I'm not sure. Features like bio-sleep I think, would be beneficial in power saving. To sum it up, I want an A/C I can use for long hours, without cringing about power bills. I'm not the "A/C for 2 hours, then use fan" types

Also, my room has poor insulation. Cold in the winter and heat in the summer get in easily, though it is not sun facing. Has someone got their rooms insulated and if yes, could you please provide some details?

Thanks for all the help!
If you want heating in winter get the AC with a "heat pump".
If both the AC will be running simultaneously then you need two units. If both are run complementary (that is one in bedroom and another in living room), then you can get multi-split inverter type. These units will have one compressor supplying two indoor units. The advantage is that the inverter type with VRF (Variable refrigerant flow) can vary cooling so that if one indoor unit is switched off you consume less energy. Further if the indoor units are higher capacity then you can get higher cooling in one unit when you want.

Regarding insulation. All you can normally do is to have thick curtains and insulating strips under the doors. If there is sunlight falling on your walls you can paint them with reflecting paint. Carpets or dhurries can help in winter.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:31   #1401
Senior - BHPian

a multi split option should work best for you like Aroy said. Select the more powerful of the 1.5 tonnes so that they are powerful enough to cool your rooms and then cool down saving you money. got for 1.8- 2.0 tonnes if need be.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:13   #1402
Senior - BHPian

One thing to watch out - R22 gets banned in 2020 or so. I think the latest Daikin Inverter ACs are using the newer, environmentally friendly refrigerant.
Old 18th January 2011, 16:04   #1403
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... It seems most of their range uses R22, and I think that includes the one that Aroy (I think it was you) was recommending a few pages back.

It looks as if our just-mentioned Samsung has run out of gas again. Or something. So I am fed up about that: don't know who can fix it to stop leaking for once, or if, in a corrosive atmosphere, that can even be done.

Oh! just remembered what I came here to ask: how long is the Daikin warranty?
Old 18th January 2011, 20:32   #1404
BHPian

Thanks Aroy and Devarshi for the advice . Not sure about the heat pump part. I guess a regular room heater would do for Hyderabad winters.

By the way, I was quoted by Reliance Digital these prices, including stabilizer and installation (labour):

Daikin 1.5Ton non-inverter: 37,990
Daikin 1.5T inverter: 42,990
Panasonic 1.5T : 39,888
Hitachi 1.5Ton (Ace cutout) 37,490

The sales guy was hard selling Panasonic, however I'm leaning towards buying one Hitachi and one inverter Daikin. What do you guys say about these prices?
Old 18th January 2011, 22:45   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Also check for Hitachi Itech or something. It's a 1.5 tonne inverter unit.
Old 19th January 2011, 01:23   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy and Devarshi for the advice . Not sure about the heat pump part. I guess a regular room heater would do for Hyderabad winters.

By the way, I was quoted by Reliance Digital these prices, including stabilizer and installation (labour):

The sales guy was hard selling Panasonic, however I'm leaning towards buying one Hitachi and one inverter Daikin. What do you guys say about these prices?
I am pleasantly shocked by Daikin prices. Of course the inverter model has to be with the R22 refrigerant that is to be phased out completely by 2020 and is being replaced rapidly by the R134 & R410. The Daikin model using R134 would be priced around 50K+.

Why would you even want to look at Hitachi when Daikin is available at the same price point. Infact Panasonic too is better than Hitachi.

As for the heat pump that makes the airconditioner a true air conditioning device. The latest models incorporate active humidity control along with the cooling and heating functions. Though these are not yet available in our markets.

EDIT

@sgiitk
Daikin is offering models using both refrigerants, though at different price points. The Ozone depleting one being cheaper.

@Thad E Ginathom
Warranty for almost all air conditioners is 1 year for the complete setup and 5 years for the compressor. With Daikin the warranty is valid only if their machine is bought and installed by a company authorized dealer cum installer.

The frequency with which your air con runs out of gas necessitates that a Nitrogen pressure test be carried out to detect the leak and plug it. Trust your installer is equipped to do that. Of course if the indoor unit has sprung a leak it is time to change the unit as most air con repair shops lack the expertise to fix them or should I say lack the ability to actually reassemble the indoor unit to its original fit and finish. I am assuming yours is a split unit. Of course if it is a window unit then the test is a straight forward job and if your mechanic has nt done it so far he deserves to be booted out.

Last edited by khoj : 19th January 2011 at 01:42. Reason: answering additional posts
Old 19th January 2011, 01:49   #1407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With Daikin the warranty is valid only if their machine is bought and installed by a company authorized dealer cum installer.
I think that shouldn't be a problem, if (or when) we do buy.

Anyway, our local man will come in the morning. I do not want him just to fill the gas, or just to find the most obvious leak: I want it kept under pressure and tested for a few days. Of course, giving instructions is one thing, how thoroughly it gets done, I have no way of knowing.

I also intend to ask for the pipe work to be replaced/redone. Those compression-joint "olives" (what do you call the ring that fits over the pipe end here? That's what UK plumbers call them.) are really supposed to be single-use even for water plumbing.

Thank goodness it's January. If it hadn't been for a sweating foreigner visiting, we would not have turned that machine on for a few weeks.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:52   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for the Inverter models, and that too if they use R410, else you would be in the same boat as I was with my 2000 Esteem. I had to change the whole AC system as R12 was not available (banned). R22 will soon follow, hence do not buy R22 based AC.

Regarding installation, at least in Delhi Daikin does a much better job than others. Their pipe and insulation work is excellent here.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:20   #1409
BHPian

Thanks Aroy. Will the A/C last 9 years (until 2020) in the first place?
And, isn't every A/C coming with R22 anyway?
Old 19th January 2011, 13:29   #1410
Senior - BHPian

the issue will be IF the a/c needs a new refrigerant after 2020 in the first place. I don't see that as much of an issue if you change a/c's like many others every 6-7 years.

Also, what if the mfrs change gases after 3-4 years if they find something cheaper but efficient?

Like KHOJ said, If Daikin a/c's with R134 and R140 are cheaper, I don't see a reason why you should go with R22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks