Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 12:06   #1126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
iamback:
One thing which the whirlpool sales guy mentioned that Whirlpool
can be compared with Hitachi as they use the Japanese made
compressor. Is this true to your knowledge?.
I just bought a Whirlpool 1 Ton 2 Star Window AC. It has a Sanyo compressor.

Any ideas about which compressors are found in LG, Samsung and Voltas?
Old 14th May 2010, 12:38   #1127
BHPian

Split AC

Hi Khoj / Bhipians,

Requesting your kind help

I had purchased carrier Celesta D 1.5 windows AC 2004( Hitachi compressor) . for last two years, I am facing problems like reduced cooling and compressor tripping. Till last year this used to get resolved by replacing the capacitor for the AC. This year the problem had got aggravated and the compressor just stops with in 30 mins and does not start again.
I have now been told that compressor is not getting enough air to cool itself( heat exchange is not working). and i should either buy a new compressor or sell off this unit. ( Its surrounded by the walls on both sides) . ( new hitachi compressor would cost 7 k)

I had enough of this drama and i am angry with carrier , problem started when the compressor was in the warranty and they never told me about it . Its only when warranty is over i am told to replace compressor.
The Authorised AC service person told me that if i wanted to have a window AC ( i live in the top floor ) to go in for a "Teekchand" compressor .

Thus i have resolved to get a new split AC ( mounted on the roof) can you kindly suggest . I do not wish to touch Hitachi with a poll.

I am inclined towards blue star / O general (inverter ? ) kindly suggest

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 14th May 2010 at 12:51. Reason: :)
Old 14th May 2010, 12:40   #1128
BANNED

Anyone here bought a Floor Standing AC. Since I stay in a rented house for now. I think this is the best bet for me. Cosidering I dont have to make any holes in the walls.

First look at prices, everything is Rs 40k+. Is it worth and what is long term reliability?

Is it ideal to use in a house?

I think it can be pushed around easily (its heavy I understand but should still be mobile).

Any thoughts would be welcome. My other option is to get a Cooler and I am not so keen.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:47   #1129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Anyone here bought a Floor Standing AC. Since I stay in a rented house for now. I think this is the best bet for me. Cosidering I dont have to make any holes in the walls.
I am still not clear how a floor standing AC works?
How do you vent it? Doesn't that require some opening to the outside?
Old 14th May 2010, 12:53   #1130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How do you vent it? Doesn't that require some opening to the outside?
Oh man, it does. I was thinking this is a standalone sort of thing.

Cooler it is for now
Old 14th May 2010, 13:19   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Thanks Khoj. I will have to go for Split AC only as there is no provision for Window AC.

Budget - below 30k.
OK, so we have to look at Panasonic Pearl/Silver/Sapphire; Hitachi Kaze and Whirlpool

A model that I would strongly recommend is the 1.5 ton from General but from the grey market. The reason being that this unit is rated at 19380 Btu and since 1.5 is the minimum that would suffice, I would like you to get the best possible in the 1.5 ton. However in order to get this within 30K, I am forced to ask you to get it from the grey market as the general machine sold with b&w(ASG18A) would be more than that. BTW general machines also offer an air purifying filter as an option.

Quote:
Regarding Panasonic - the dealers are telling that it does not sell that much. Also I am not sure about the service. Any pointers?
Panasonic makes very good air cons and it seems that the dealer's margins on Panasonic products are not very attractive. Using the link that I have provided earlier, go to 'where to buy' and fill in for TN/Chennai. In the list of outlets for your city you will find 'Panasonic Brand shops'. These are the right places to buy any product made by Panasonic. You might have to go to all three as even amongst brand shops you can get different pricing/ availability and willingness to procure out of stock products etc.

Quote:
Regarding filters - is it better to go for separate ones or inbuilt ones?
There are no after market/separate filters available, the inbuilt are the only choice. You can buy air purifying units separately, these are also available from Panasonic.
'Off Topic" For problems with pollen allergy I would recommend you look at 'TYVEK' pillow covers. We use them and find them quite effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup10 View Post
I just bought a Whirlpool 1 Ton 2 Star Window AC. It has a Sanyo compressor.

Any ideas about which compressors are found in LG, Samsung and Voltas?
Sanyo compressor in Whirlpool air con is a nice development. Is this word of mouth or have you actually read the name plate on the compressor?

LG has LG; Samsung has Samsung; Voltas I have no Idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool_kid
I have now been told that compressor is not getting enough air to cool itself( heat exchange is not working). and i should either buy a new compressor or sell off this unit. ( Its surrounded by the walls on both sides) . ( new hitachi compressor would cost 7 k)

I had enough of this drama and i am angry with carrier , problem started when the compressor was in the warranty and they never told me about it . Its only when warranty is over i am told to replace compressor.
The Authorised AC service person told me that if i wanted to have a window AC ( i live in the top floor ) to go in for a "Teekchand" compressor .
If the problem is lack of heat exchange due to close proximity of walls how will the new compressor overcome that problem no matter if it is Teekchand or Kharabchand. On a serious note as long as there is enough space for the fan to throw the hot air out and away from the rear of the air con the machine should work ok. But the space behind should be really open and not hemmed in a small passage/ corridor at least 10 feet of clear space is required for proper dissipation of heat.

Quote:
Thus i have resolved to get a new split AC ( mounted on the roof) can you kindly suggest . I do not wish to touch Hitachi with a poll.
Installing the split's ODU on the roof is a good idea it will allow for proper heat exchange. What is wrong with 'Hitachi'?

[quote]I am inclined towards blue star / O general (inverter ? ) kindly suggest[QUOTE/]

Blue Star is like you will be jumping from the pan and into the fire. General inverter is an excellent thought.

Last edited by khoj : 14th May 2010 at 13:38.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:27   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Sanyo compressor in Whirlpool air con is a nice development. Is this word of mouth or have you actually read the name plate on the compressor?

LG has LG; Samsung has Samsung; Voltas I have no Idea.
Read the name myself
Old 14th May 2010, 14:14   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj;
If the problem is lack of heat exchange due to close proximity of walls how will the new compressor overcome that problem no matter if it is Teekchand or Kharabchand. On a serious note as long as there is enough space for the fan to throw the hot air out and away from the rear of the air con the machine should work ok. But the space behind should be really open and not hemmed in a small passage/ corridor at least 10 feet of clear space is required for proper dissipation of heat.

Installing the split's ODU on the roof is a good idea it will allow for proper heat exchange. What is wrong with 'Hitachi'?
the space behind the AC is 1 KM , Rhe wall were always there , then what took it so long . The compressor in the carrier ac was Hitachi that the reason i wish to avoid the Hitachi brand
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj;
Blue Star is like you will be jumping from the pan and into the fire. General inverter is an excellent thought.
Can you kindly advice a model number and approx cost, i am thinking for 1.2 split buget 30 + approx

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 14th May 2010 at 14:17.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:38   #1134
Senior - BHPian

@kool_kid

In Delhi any room more than 110 square foot will demand a 1.5 ton air con. Being on the top floor make that 100 sq. ft. With May temperatures at 44 degree Celsius just wait for June and July to show their true colours.

The best 1.2 Ton units are made by Hitachi viz. 'Cut Out', 'Kaze' etc.

Inverter air cons in the local market are available only in 1.5 ton capacity. Please contact the local dealers for more details or explore company web sites, as posted before I do not have any details on inverter models being sold as yet. A member in Calcutta has bought a Daikin inverter air con for 48K.

Suggest you look at ASG18A (hi wall split) or the AWG18A(ceiling wall split) from General, these should be in your targeted price bracket.

Last edited by khoj : 14th May 2010 at 15:41.
Old 15th May 2010, 09:52   #1135
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
OK, so we have to look at Panasonic Pearl/Silver/Sapphire; Hitachi Kaze and Whirlpool
Many thanks Khoj. I will look at these and buy..
Most probably Panasonic.

Not sure about grey market. Hence general would be out of review.

Quote:
'Off Topic" For problems with pollen allergy I would recommend you look at 'TYVEK' pillow covers. We use them and find them quite effective.
Yes, we are aware of this and using it also.
Old 16th May 2010, 22:29   #1136
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Purchased an LG 2 Star 1 Ton Window AC for 14.5 K + 900 for installation.
Working fine as of now in the bedroom.

Now my question is about the hall - how do I figure out what tonnage of AC I need for the hall. It would have to be a split, coz there is no slot for a Window AC in the hall. However, unlike the bedroom, the hall cannot be closed - i.e. the hall, the kitchen & the dining portion of the hall outside the kitchen & the corridor are all connected with no doors. So would the tonnage computation for the hall would involve area of the hall, the corridor, dining area & kitchen - is this how the computation done?
Another question. I am planning to fit an AC in the hall only next summer. Not this summer.

Now, occasionally if I do the following.
- Turn on the AC in the main bedroom.
- Don't close the main bedroom door.
- Close the guest bedroom door.
- And sit in the hall.
i.e. I am using the 1 T window AC in the main bedroom to cool the main bedroom, the kitchen (rather small one) & the hall, what harm would I be doing?

Obviously the cooling is going to take a long time, but do I run the risk of damaging the AC? I very rarely put the thermostat setting to below 26-27.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:10   #1137
BHPian

stabilizer shock

guys as you are aware i am a proud owner of two brand new a/cs bought from grey market.one is a 2 ton ogen with a 5kva v-guard stabilizer .
the a/c and stabilizer were working fine till yesterday night.i heard a thud sound in the stabilizer and the mcp trippped.i called the electrcian ,he did an analysis,blamed the stabilizer and connected the a/c directly without stabilizer and it is working fine .
is it advisable to run the a/c like this till i get another stabilizer.
the v guard stab has a guarentee card but the card is empty without purchase date or owners name or any signature.i got this from the person who sold the a/c.
guys what should i do now!
Old 16th May 2010, 23:21   #1138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
guys as you are aware i am a proud owner of two brand new a/cs bought from grey market.one is a 2 ton ogen with a 5kva v-guard stabilizer .
the a/c and stabilizer were working fine till yesterday night.i heard a thud sound in the stabilizer and the mcp trippped.i called the electrcian ,he did an analysis,blamed the stabilizer and connected the a/c directly without stabilizer and it is working fine .
Is your current supply really bad? Why do you need a stabilizer?
My AC is running without a stabilizer.

Quote:
the v guard stab has a guarentee card but the card is empty without purchase date or owners name or any signature.i got this from the person who sold the a/c.
If you have the bill, you should be good.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:49   #1139
Senior - BHPian

I have one question for which I searched in the thread with no use..

Does star rating really matter, I had been to the showroom to purchase the AC and the guy was openly saying that the star rating doesnt matter at all.
In fact he added saying no one that he remembers as customer has found any difference between a 4 star and a 2 star till date, he says its only a matter of sticker.

Is this true.

I have a feeling he is genuine as I buy many things from this guy moreover, his margin for sellnig a 5 star would surely be more than selling a 2 star, any reason/ response guys??
Old 17th May 2010, 02:04   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless there is a power spike or a sustained run on very very low voltage nothing should happen.

Just take the transformer back to the guy and exchange for a new one or get it repaired. The a/c might be grey but Vguard is a local co and wty card or no card their dealer will be able to get the work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I have one question for which I searched in the thread with no use..

Does star rating really matter.

I have a feeling he is genuine as I buy many things from this guy moreover, his margin for sellnig a 5 star would surely be more than selling a 2 star, any reason/ response guys??
Well you know the star ratings came in from this season and earlier people would just look at the make the looks, friends advice, the sellers pitch and if they knew a thing or two then the COP and the EER values. While other things remain unchanged, those technical terms & corresponding values have been interpreted into an easy and convenient visual indicator and by necessarily having that on the face of the machine, it now allows the average Joe to make an informed choice.

The ratings are based on certain set of real numbers. For two machines with different ratings in a given scenario the difference will definitely be there. The quantum of difference though measurable is again open to perception and discussion just like the comment on the sellers margins.

Last edited by khoj : 17th May 2010 at 02:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks