Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 07:36   #946
BHPian

Hi guys
My hunt for a 2ton a/c met an interesting twist.
A friend of mine introduced an a/c mechanic who assembles a/c.my friend himself has an assembled a/c ,with ogen compressor,which has been running without a hitch for the past 3 yrs.
This mechanic gave me an option.he has an ogen,Thailand make ,6 months old out door unit which he can connect to an new indoor unit
Choice no 1- the out door connected to an indoor unit called cruise- total cost is 24000 with installation
Choice no 2- the outdoor unit connected to an new ogen indoor unit-total cost is 34000.
Considering the cost of brand new 2 ton ogen a/c which is around 52000, this deal indeed was very tempting.i saw the out door unit.it was almost new. How do I find the year of manufacturing in the out door unit. How do I know whether it is indeed a 2 ton[/b][/b].the label in the out door unit has a serial no only.
regarding the sincearity of this mechanic, my friends all vouch for this a/c mechanic.

Friends help me out.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:49   #947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
my friends all vouch for this a/c mechanic.
Its a risk IMHO.

34k is a big amount to invest is an assembled ac. Go for a branded ac.

Peace of mind is a bigger requirement.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:57   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....he has an ogen,Thailand make ,6 months old out door unit which he can connect to an new indoor unit ....
Indeed very tempting!
I wonder where and how come he gets hold of just the outdoor units? And he does not have the corresponding indoor units!
Sounds too much like stolen units!
I would certainly ask for at least a half convincing reply to this doubt before dealing with such a person!
Old 14th April 2010, 12:14   #949
Senior - BHPian

Home A/C

Recently bought a LG 5 Star 1.5tons splitA/c for my bed room.
Model: LSA 5Zp5VTY1
Total paid: Rs.31,300 (which includes VG 400 stabilzer, home delivery and
fitting) (I think company price for the a/c itself is Rs.32,290/-)
Power consumption: 1660 Watts
Remote control with night illuminating button (on/off and temperature adjustment buttons) makes easy night operation.

When switch on, the panel shows the current temperature at the room and the set temperature (whatever temp we set to cool the room). when the room temperature changes to the set temp, the compressor get cut off.
I have seen it takes just 7/10 minutes max to get 28deg cool (when room temp was at 32deg) for a 280sqft room.(28deg is sufficient and comfort in this season)

Seems working very fine and also low power consumption
Old 14th April 2010, 12:23   #950
Senior - BHPian

I bought 2 split ACs about 2 weeks back:

1. Hitachi - 1.2 Ton - 4 Star (Room is around 170 sq.ft)
2. LG - 1 Ton - 3 Star (Room is around 140 sq.ft)

No issues with Hitachi so far. LG had an installation issue, and it was solved.

In my experience, the Hitachi cools faster/better. It could be because it has slightly more tonnage - on the other hand, the room is also bigger. Another factor could be that the room with Hitachi also has woodden flooring.

One disadvantage I found in Hitachi is that the temp setting in auto (sleep) mode is 25 degrees and it can't be changed. I think there is an option to program the AC with the user-preferred settings, but I'm yet to play around with all the settings.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:32   #951
BHPian

anupmathur
what you said also crossed my mind.
the explanation he gave was that the indoor unit was used in a color lab and was disfigured.is that possible?
Spitfire
what you said is absolutely true.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:07   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Guys please suggest me a good split ac. Mumbai is becoming hotter day by day. Guess its the global warming effect. I have two bedrooms 150 + 110 sq ft. Which is the best split ac to buy? Also would a 1T be sufficient for 150 sq ft room? Also nowadays I am hearing a lot about multi room split acs which have only one outdoor unit for the two indoor units. Has anyone used these and any pros/cons of using these vis-a-vis two separate split acs?
In Bombay, 1.2T for the 150sqft and a 0.9 or a 1 Ton for the 110 sq ft room would be sufficient.

See attachment on the multi room split air con.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HITACHI Atom Square.pdf (1.08 MB, 1655 views)
Old 14th April 2010, 13:44   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the explanation he gave was that the indoor unit was used in a color lab and was disfigured.is that possible?
It is possible but I would like to know (and perhaps be shown) what 'disfigured' means!
I can well understand that a room that caught fire would almost completely burn out an indoor unit while the outdoor unit might escape unscathed.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:19   #954
BHPian

Are there any split AC's with both heating and cooling functions? Hyderabad is hot during this time but my mom feels cold in the house right from October to March and I may need to look at a unit that has both the features!
Old 14th April 2010, 14:23   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Are there any split AC's with both heating and cooling functions? Hyderabad is hot during this time but my mom feels cold in the house right from October to March and I may need to look at a unit that has both the features!
Yes, atleast LG has them.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:49   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any split AC's with both heating and cooling functions? ...
Even if there are you would hate to pay the premium they ask for these models!
You'd be better off buying an electric heater for the room.
All types are available at reasonable prices.
Old 15th April 2010, 01:03   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost all of the air con manufacturers have them but all of them do not offer these in our markets. Daikin is one that does. See the heat pump models.

Welcome to Daikin India
Old 15th April 2010, 09:06   #958
BHPian

In winters, just reverse the AC. lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 15th April 2010, 09:42   #959
Senior - BHPian

The advantage of reverse cycle ACs vis a vis heaters is that by working as heat pumps they are more efficient than simple space heaters. The negative is the cost, and that most of them use (or used) reciprocating compressors.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:13   #960
BHPian

AC Running Costs

I have made the attached spreadsheet to compare 3 and 5 star split air conditioners and size them against the best and the standard window airconditioners. This will give you the COP, EER & Consumption and how much it would hit your pocket annually.

I hope it helps you to take an informed decision about the unit you intend to buy this summer!

-NevGin
Attached Files
File Type: xls AC Running Costs.xls (32.0 KB, 1171 views)
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks