Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2024, 09:51   #7681
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Good morning. The OEM designated technician claims that this drip is normal but I do not think so.

This AC is barely 6 months old and the drip(image) is moderate. The output pipe for water is at a downward angle with no obstructions. I have 2 other AC's at home and they do not behave this way. Haier fortunately has a process which allows for handing over of a code only when the complainant is satisfied with the job.

Is this drip normal ?
That is condensation, it is normal.

The drain plug is not opened, hence the accumulation of water. Most probably the two circular pieces on the outer side are the drain plugs. Best to call the service person and let him open the drain plugs.

Last edited by Aroy : 21st August 2024 at 09:53.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 12:42   #7682
BHPian

Hello Guys, Need some help understanding this problem please.

In the monsoon months my ceiling gets condensation on it . It used to happen before I airconditioned the room and now happens even after that. Sometimes it is light moisture and sometimes I can actually see small droplets .

I use the ac at night setting it at temp 26-27 and even tried the dry mode , but nothing much has changed.

This moisture then leads to black moss on the ceiling. My ceiling is oil paint painted .Cleaning it is a pain and needs regular cleaning during these 3 months, but the stains sometimes are permanent.

I can see that no moisture has formed on the ceiling while the ac is running but largely happens after the unit has turned off when I start opening the room doors and windows. At times the moisture on the ceiling does not dry during the day as well and needs to be wiped off.

I am not the topmost floor of the building , there is one more floor above me.

Please can you help me understand the way out . Thanks a lot.

Last edited by danny25 : 26th August 2024 at 12:51.
Old 26th August 2024, 12:58   #7683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post

In the monsoon months my ceiling gets condensation on it . It used to happen before I airconditioned the room and now happens even after that. Sometimes it is light moisture and sometimes I can actually see small droplets .

I use the ac at night setting it at temp 26-27 and even tried the dry mode , but nothing much has changed.

This moisture then leads to black moss on the ceiling. My ceiling is oil paint painted .Cleaning it is a pain and needs regular cleaning during these 3 months, but the stains sometimes are permanent.

I can see that no moisture has formed on the ceiling while the ac is running but largely happens after the unit has turned off when I start opening the room doors and windows. At times the moisture on the ceiling does not dry during the day as well and needs to be wiped off.

AC by nature acts as a dehumidifier, that's why you don't see condensation when it's running. Maybe get a dedicated dehumidifier that you can keep running when the AC is off. If not an option, then just get rid of the oil paint and use some other paint.
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 14:52   #7684
BHPian

Quote:

Your post is a bit confusing to me. You claim that the issue existed much before the AC was fitted but also say that the AC is a cause as well. Seepage from the floor above yours can be the only other reason for dampness. You can consider running the AC and ceiling fans simultaneously to improve ventilation and/or place silica gel/charcoal in spots around the room to absorb dampness.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 15:40   #7685
BHPian

Quote:
Your post is a bit confusing to me. You claim that the issue existed much before the AC was fitted but also say that the AC is a cause as well. Seepage from the floor above yours can be the only other reason for dampness. You can consider running the AC and ceiling fans simultaneously to improve ventilation and/or place silica gel/charcoal in spots around the room to absorb dampness.
I dont think there is any seepage from the floor above as the cause . It is primary condensation during monsoon months. Im trying to find the cause and solution and hence suggesting that it happens before and after the AC installation.
Old 28th August 2024, 10:04   #7686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is moisture condensing on the ceiling. Most probably the reason is the oil paint which is impervious by nature, so drops condense on it rather being absorbed.

The reason that there is no condensation when AC is on is because AC dehumidifies the air. In fat once the AC stops there should be more drops on the ceiling as the ceiling is now cold and condenses faster ( RH is lower at cold temperature, that is air can hold less moisture at colder temperatures).

Though it is not normal, moisture can precipitate when the humidity of air is high, that is near large water bodies - lakes or sea. Your only recourse is to ventilate the room thoroughly in monsoons. A large exhaust fan should do the job.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 01:55   #7687
Senior - BHPian

I also get a little bit of dampness on the ceiling and opposite wall in both air conditioned rooms during the monsoon, even though the ACs are run at higher temps and doors and windows are kept closed for a few hours until the temperature rises.
There is no visible condensation but small flecks and patches of mold do appear. No solution other than to clean it with mold cleaner spray applied to a microfiber flat mop. Usually one cleaning post monsoon with maybe an extra one in between is enough. This usually happens when there are long stretches of daily rain.
You can reduce this by keeping the doors and windows shut for 2-3 hours post switching off the AC and making sure your door and windows don't have any large gaps around them.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2024, 15:40   #7688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is condensation, it is normal.

The drain plug is not opened, hence the accumulation of water. Most probably the two circular pieces on the outer side are the drain plugs. Best to call the service person and let him open the drain plugs.

Those arent drain plugs, but the 3 screw points that hold the compressor to the base. Drain is usually at below the fan motor and the L bend of the coils for the run off water.
Old 19th September 2024, 15:46   #7689

Quote:
Good morning. The OEM designated technician claims that this drip is normal but I do not think so.

This AC is barely 6 months old and the drip(image) is moderate.
Is this drip normal ?

The drip is completely normal, and usually happens in the most humid environments. I see the same on all my Mitsubishi Electric inverter units ( in Delhi); the only difference being the base on them is stainless steel.
More so, even the terminal cover ( which is absent in your case) gets wet too, with a healthy discharge of water from the base, on all the units that have run throughout the night.

This is a phenomenon mostly observed during the monsoon season.
Old 2nd October 2024, 11:58   #7690
BHPian

Hi,

I'm looking to buy 3 pieces of 1 ton inverter AC's for as I move to a new residence in a month. In Feb 2024, we had purchased 3 Daikin units for my parents in Trivandrum - 2 units of 1 ton 3 star inverter for 10x11 occasionally used room and a 1.5 ton 5 star for 10x17 regularly used room. We are extremely happy with all the three AC's and the power consumption seems to be very healthy as well. The AC's mostly run at 10-15 % capacity (as shown in the display) once the room is cooled and I believe this aids in the lower power consumption.

Now, the new AC's I'm looking at is for Chennai and the room sizes are more or less the same. Though I'm inclined to the Daikin units, a friend suggested Haier to be great and that it has a mode that runs at 40% consumption or something. I checked Haier's website and couldn't find any technical details as much as in Daikin.

For the Daikin FTKL 1 ton unit (3 star), the power consumption can vary from 200 Watts to 1200 Watts. Are all inverter AC's this flexible or are there two or three particular speeds they stick to? I'm a little confused on how to understand the consumption flexibility of different inverter technologies.

Our use case would be 6-8 hours per day in each room.
Old 2nd October 2024, 14:16   #7691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post

Now, the new AC's I'm looking at is for Chennai and the room sizes are more or less the same. Though I'm inclined to the Daikin units, a friend suggested Haier to be great and that it has a mode that runs at 40% consumption or something.
There are variations in inverter compressors. All use microprocessors to control various aspects of the compressor. For example, Panasonic controls the Compressor in such a way that it can operate at 0 - 120 % of its capacity. For example, it can consume 0 VA to 1650 VA (normal capacity is 1500 VA approximately ).

Some manufacturers claim that it has 7 modes of operation depending upon the capacity - 20 %, 40 %, 50 %, 70 %,100 %, 110 % and 120 %.
Some models with bells and whistles use motion sensors in the IDU to direct the air flow in the direction of people.

Others check the ambient temperature, humidity and internal room temperature to modify the operating conditions.

The moment you add CPUs , there is no limit to control the AC - improving the subjective feel.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2024, 10:53   #7692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Hi,

Now, the new AC's I'm looking at is for Chennai and the room sizes are more or less the same. Though I'm inclined to the Daikin units, a friend suggested Haier to be great and that it has a mode that runs at 40% consumption or something. I checked Haier's website and couldn't find any technical details as much as in Daikin.

For the Daikin FTKL 1 ton unit (3 star), the power consumption can vary from 200 Watts to 1200 Watts. Are all inverter AC's this flexible or are there two or three particular speeds they stick to? I'm a little confused on how to understand the consumption flexibility of different inverter technologies.

Our use case would be 6-8 hours per day in each room.
We have 5 LG Inverter AC's. 3, 5*, 1.5T and 2, 3*, 2T units. All of them provide - 120%, 100%, 80%, 60% and 40% power consumption modes. The 120% is turbo mode valid for 1/2 hour and is for cooling the room initially. Other modes are as per your requirement.

I have used the LG APP to check on the power consumption. For the 1.5T 5* AC
. 8A on start up
. 6A after an hour
. 5A after a few hours
. 2.4A in 40% mode
. 0.9A in 40% mode at night when the ambient is cool
. 0 A when the room has cooled to the set temperature and the ambient is at or below the set temperature.

I believe most of the Inverter AC's provide similar figures as they all have microprocessors to control the "Inverter" based Compressor. LG claims to have a "Dual Compressor" technology. What I think it means is that there two compressors in one package (co-axial) and gas is routed to the smaller unit when necessary.

Most major manufacturers have similar technology and similar performance. So the choice boils down to who has the best service and who has the best build with least plastics.

We have had AC's beginning with locally assembled units to Samsung, Hitachi and Daikin. The service of Samsung was ok, but at that time their units had no power on restart. Hitachi window units we had for 10+ years after that, had poor and at times clueless service. Diakin was a disaster. It ran for 3 years and then the mother board packed up. As they wanted 32K for MB, got it repaired for 10K but then it packed up in a year. The service was poor and parts exorbitantly priced. So sold it off. (in contrast LG MB is less than 10k).

After that I did a lot of research on quality, service and part prices. Honed on to LG seven years ago. They had dual compressor technology, priced reasonably, excellent service network in South Delhi at least and parts were all available in their depot (as most LG AC/WM components were manufactured in India). Now We have 5 LG Inverter AC's. 2m 1.5T Split, 1, 1.5T Window and 2, 2T Splits. The last AC we bought is 2T Hot & Cold unit ideal for Delhi winters.

One particular plus point of LG (now copied by others) is their extended warranty. For inverter AC's it is around 10K. So for 5 years from purchase every thing (barring a few plastic parts) is covered. Service, gas, radiators etc. On top of that two services a year are also included.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2024, 19:05   #7693
BHPian

Guys, need your help!

We have been using Panasonic 1.5 Ton AC since 5-6 years, and now it's giving issues related to the refrigerant pressure and after servicing it's giving an error code of F91, to which the technician said that the coil has caught rust and would need to be changed which would cost 5-6k + refrigerant refill would take the overall expense above 10,000 which is a cue to replace.

I haven't researched or read about A.Cs since ages, is there any brand / model which really do work for a long time or do all of them just conk off / start giving troubles after a couple of years?

If anyone has any suggestions regarding brands / specific model please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 6th October 2024, 22:21   #7694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
the technician said that the coil has caught rust and would need to be changed
Iron and steel rusts, not copper or aluminium. That is not to say that they cannot get corroded and develop leaks. But unless you have some extensive corrosion, engineers usually fix the leaking parts, at least few times, rather than replace the whole thing.

Get a second opinion.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2024, 12:08   #7695
BHPian

Hi guys.
I’m back here after a long time and have tried my best to catch up on the huge amount of content on this thread, so please excuse me if I have missed a discussion on this issue in the recent past.
I need a suggestion for a good, reliable budget AC.
A friend of mine has a house that he plans to put out on rent and hence he does not want to spend a huge amount on premium ACs. That said, he would like a reliable brand so he doesn’t have to keep repairing it often as that will be an irritant for both him and his tenant. He needs one 1.5T and two 1T machines.
Looking forward to your advice on this issue.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks