Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2024, 11:05   #7546
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
But this little guy isn't able to help at all in this year's Bangalore heat.
That is a personal cooler, you will have to sit right in front of it! What you need is something like this or even bigger:

https://shop.symphonylimited.com/pro...UaAqUIEALw_wcB
Old 6th April 2024, 17:27   #7547
Senior - BHPian

The video is in Tamil, but the gist of what he is saying is, since the ISEER ratings get updated periodically, the 3 star ACs we buy today are equal to the 5 star units purchased four or more years ago. Which means the cycle will repeat again every few years. And how it makes more sense to go for 5 star units for commercial/office usage than home usage. In home usage the price difference between the two Acs may be recovered in 5-6 years or later, by which time many people may replace the units themselves. In commercial usage the price difference may be recovered in two years or less.

Old 8th April 2024, 06:41   #7548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But you can achieve only about 2-3 degrees below ambient temperature, no more.
I beg to differ. I have been using desert coolers for over 50 years (in Delhi, during the dry heat days) and the temperature difference that can be achieved is extraordinary - as much as 15° to 20° degrees Celsius below ambient when R.H. is 20% or lower. Delhi summers have many such days. An Air conditioner never achieves this.
anupmathur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 10:24   #7549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I beg to differ. I have been using desert coolers for over 50 years (in Delhi, during the dry heat days) and the temperature difference that can be achieved is extraordinary - as much as 15° to 20° degrees Celsius below ambient when R.H. is 20% or lower. Delhi summers have many such days. An Air conditioner never achieves this.
I agree. The drier the climate the higher evaporation rate and cooler the output.

In 60's Delhi was much drier (very low vegetation) so coolers were extremely effective. Now a days with extensive urbanization and a lot of vegetation, the relative humidity is higher, hence effect of evaporative cooling much lower.
Old 8th April 2024, 12:51   #7550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ.
It doesn't work in coastal areas. I bought one many years ago but couldn't achieve anything more than 2-4 degrees. And it made the room even more humid. Chennai summer nights can have a RH of 70% or even more. After a couple of weeks I gave it away.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 15:25   #7551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't work in coastal areas.
It doesn't work in humid areas. I guess that, just as the human body's cooling-by-sweating mechanism is compromised by high humidity (unable to evaporate into already saturated air) similar applies to cool-by-evaporation machines.

Also, as previously mentioned, most people especially hate humid heat, increasing the humidity, even with a slightly lowered temperature, makes matters worse.

Even thought I claim not to mind Chennai's infamous climate, I have to admit that I live and sleep in AC. The AC temperatures are not set low: especially when sleeping, reduction of humidity is slightly more important to my comfort than reduction of temperature.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 17:00   #7552
Senior - BHPian

Humidity will naturally be high in coastal areas. And yes, the humidity and associated sweating is the main problem with Chennai weather. I also set my Ac at 24 for 60-90 minutes and then raise it to 26 before sleeping. No sweating = comfortable sleep. I don't need to feel very cool, just comfortable.

My son came home for a visit from Hyderabad last week and remarked even though the day time temperature there is currently higher than Chennai, it feels more comfortable because the humidity is much less there. Right now the weather report shows Chennai temperature as 31 with a humidity of 76% and Hyderabad as 36 with humidity of 30%.

In Chennai people will sweat like pigs during summer, but sun stroke will be rare. But in cities with less humidity the risk is much more. Such as cities in the north Indian plains.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 10:54   #7553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

.....Now a days with extensive urbanization and a lot of vegetation, the relative humidity is higher, hence effect of evaporative cooling much lower.
My contention of RH below 20% or lower is still a regular feature of Delhi. Each summer has many days with RH values as low as 12%. I live in Hauz Khas so I am not very far from where you are.

May I ask if you still use a desert cooler at home?

Quote:
It doesn't work in coastal areas....
Please read my complete post and try not to take a line out of context. I have given numbers/values of Relative Humidity!

Last edited by Eddy : 9th April 2024 at 17:14. Reason: Merged
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 11:05   #7554
Senior - BHPian

^^ We are on the same page sir! I agree it works well in Delhi climate, I myself used it whenever I visited the place during summers!

I quoted the first few sentences of your post to avoid quoting it entirely, that was all.
Old 9th April 2024, 11:36   #7555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ I regularly visit and buy white gooods from my area Croma store, and they always match the Amazon price of the day for whatever item I select from their store. I am very happy with the arrangement.

Also, in case of any service calls for any item I purchased from them, my single point of contact is the Croma store. They will send the respective service people to my home.
The first para doesn't hold good any more. I recently purchased a TV from them and as usual requested a price match with Amazon. But was informed those days are over, now the price match is done oly with Croma online store.

Croma store still remains the single point of contact for service related issues though.
Old 9th April 2024, 17:03   #7556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My contention of RH below 20% or lower is still a regular feature of Delhi. Each summer has many days with RH values as low as 12%. I live in Hauz Khas so I am not very far from where you are.

May I ask if you still use a desert cooler at home?
No, the last cooler I had was thirty years ago. It was a large wooden framed giant I made. The cooling was excellent (in fact chilling). Due to excessive water consumption I gave it up after five years of use.

Evaporative cooling is the way to go where humidity is low. I remember that in Iraq most of the medium level hotels used central coolers instead of air conditioners. Brought the temperatures from 45 degrees to 25 during summers.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 17:59   #7557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Chennai people will sweat like pigs during summer, but sun stroke will be rare. But in cities with less humidity the risk is much more. Such as cities in the north Indian plains.
Do remember that the people in the less-humid places sweat just as much. As I mentioned in a previous post, it is able to evaporate.

In the humid climate,where it cannot, it's body cooling purpose is compromised.

Dehydration happens in both instances, so does sun shock and sunstroke. The fact that one is not noticeably sweaty simply hides the danger.
Old 10th April 2024, 21:36   #7558
BHPian

I am in the market to buy an air conditioner for my living room (a replacement for a Panasonic unit). The air conditioner will be used only when we have some guests during summers and that too for 4-5 hours only. I went to a Vijay Sales store and they had a wide spread of brands. I gathered the following things from a quick discussion with the salesperson:
  • Air conditioners from General / Mitsubishi are more expensive. The salesperson said Mitsubishi units are imported hence command a premium. General ac’s are now being manufactured in India and are known for their reliability / technology.
  • I did not understand this point but the salesperson said that the electrical / copper connections for three brands (Daikin / Mitsubishi / General) are different from all other brands. All other brands have their power unit inside the indoor unit while for the former three brands, the power unit is in the outdoor unit. Hence two wires (3 core and 4 core) are required.
  • He said LG air conditioners prior to 2020 were of good quality but that is not the case now. Their maximum cooling capacity (at 100%) is 4,400W while it is >=5,000W for all others. The salesperson was not keen on LG although it fits my budget. I already have one LG air conditioner in our flat (bought during covid) and it is running fine till now.
  • Air conditioners have become expensive (my reference is 2020 price levels as that was when I last bought an air conditioner). Also, most of the brands are now charging installation fees. Any additional material used during the installation will be over and above.
Just as I am typing this, another air conditioner in one of the bedrooms has died (Panasonic brand). So now I need to buy two ac units – a 1.5T for bedroom and a 2.0T for living room. Can someone please explain the difference in the power unit placement in Daikin vs. other brands? Will that be a major issue? I am not leaning towards Mitsubishi / General only because of the higher price.
Old 11th April 2024, 11:35   #7559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I am in the market to buy an air conditioner for my living room (a replacement for a Panasonic unit). The air conditioner will be used only when we have some guests during summers and that too for 4-5 hours only. I went to a Vijay Sales store and they had a wide spread of brands. I gathered the following things from a quick discussion with the salesperson:
  • Air conditioners from General / Mitsubishi are more expensive. The salesperson said Mitsubishi units are imported hence command a premium. General ac’s are now being manufactured in India and are known for their reliability / technology.
  • I did not understand this point but the salesperson said that the electrical / copper connections for three brands (Daikin / Mitsubishi / General) are different from all other brands. All other brands have their power unit inside the indoor unit while for the former three brands, the power unit is in the outdoor unit. Hence two wires (3 core and 4 core) are required.
  • He said LG air conditioners prior to 2020 were of good quality but that is not the case now. Their maximum cooling capacity (at 100%) is 4,400W while it is >=5,000W for all others. The salesperson was not keen on LG although it fits my budget. I already have one LG air conditioner in our flat (bought during covid) and it is running fine till now.
  • Air conditioners have become expensive (my reference is 2020 price levels as that was when I last bought an air conditioner). Also, most of the brands are now charging installation fees. Any additional material used during the installation will be over and above.
Just as I am typing this, another air conditioner in one of the bedrooms has died (Panasonic brand). So now I need to buy two ac units – a 1.5T for bedroom and a 2.0T for living room. Can someone please explain the difference in the power unit placement in Daikin vs. other brands? Will that be a major issue? I am not leaning towards Mitsubishi / General only because of the higher price.
. Diakin uses thicker and slightly larger diameter copper pipe, compared to others. You have to pay extra for the copper pipe(s) - there are two and 4 core cable. Most other brands supply 3m copper pipe and cable with the AC.

. Normal fixed speed AC use three core wires - L,N,E. Inverter units need a fourth conductor for control of the compressor by the MB.

. I have been buying LG since seven years. I now have 5, all of them have 4 years extended warranty (5 years total). The warranty covers practically every thing and comes with at least two free services a year. My latest buy was 2T Hot & Cold for bedroom.

. Items included in standard installation are fixing the AC and connecting the copper pipes. Most of the times drilling a 70mm hole in the wall is also included. Extras cost for - extending the pipes and 4 core cable and stand (if required).

As I have stated, I am extremely happy with LG Service in Delhi, and I will always recommend taking their 4 years extended warranty within a month of purchase.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 11:50   #7560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

As I have stated, I am extremely happy with LG Service in Delhi, and I will always recommend taking their 4 years extended warranty within a month of purchase.
Does LG have fixed speed AC(non inverter) in their product portfolio? I could not find any

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks