Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2023, 21:14   #7441
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Does rain affect AC outdoor units. Shifted to a new home and both of our outdoor units are in a precarious place. In the previous home it was a covered space hence did not face this issue.
Old 24th September 2023, 22:09   #7442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_max View Post
Does rain affect AC outdoor units...
I believe that outdoor units are built to be outdoors! Most of them are open to the weather. One of ours is on our terrace.

Giving them some shelter might be good, but I don't think it is necessary. Protection from direct sun might be more useful than protection from rain?
Old 25th September 2023, 07:49   #7443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I believe that outdoor units are built to be outdoors! Most of them are open to the weather.

Giving them some shelter might be good, but I don't think it is necessary. Protection from direct sun might be more useful than protection from rain?
+1.

Infact, the outdoor unit of my 1T non inverter Carrier AC (a pathetic brand compared to LG/Blue Star/ Voltas) was cleaner when fixed in the open compared to the present place of installation where it gets full of dust soon.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 07:52   #7444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does rain affect AC outdoor units.
As long as they are secured directly on some concrete foundation or using metal beams that can support their weight, you have nothing to worry about.

If you're worried about security, well, even the best of equipment can't help. Thieves will always find a way, if they want to steal something.

If the rain is more acidic, you'll run into early rusting. Not much you can do other than paint the units once the factory primer starts wearing out.

Shade helps but isn't mandatory. These units are designed to operate out in the open. Unrestricted air flow is important for optimum performance.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 10:23   #7445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I believe that outdoor units are built to be outdoors!

That is correct. I have an issue with my two outdoor units. Both of them sit on sunshades of the respective bedrooms, and the balconies of the apartment immediately above mine, extend over both the sunshades. So it is as if they are sitting inside a niche, though open on all sides. They don't get wet during rains, except during torrential NE monsoon rains accompanied by strong winds.

While servicing the Ac they clean only the indoor unit and never the outdoor unit. The technicians tell me they are meant to be installed open to sky, and will get washed whenever it rains. They say sun or rain doesn't affect them. My previous window Ac also was installed under the same sunshade, but it was at eye level and I used to clean it from time to time with a brush. Now I have to climb a step ladder to reach the ODU, and even then it is difficult to reach it's rear side. So I never bother.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th September 2023 at 21:08. Reason: As requested
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 11:14   #7446
Senior - BHPian

ODU are designed to work outdoors, so rain has little effect on them, iunless the seal of the cover over the PCB leaks. All out split AC's are outside exposed to rain.

One thing to note is that in dusty environment, especially Delhi, ODU fins get clogged with dust. So it is better to give them a mild pressure wash every now and then.

Last edited by Aroy : 25th September 2023 at 11:17.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 16:20   #7447
BHPian

Have shortlisted two ACs for my living room, Panasonic 2 ton 5 star ZU24ZKYF and Mitsubishi 1.9 ton 4 star GN22VF-D1

Both are in the same price range of around 59K however Mitsubishi does not provide any pipe, so approximately would need to spend around 8-9K additional for installation.

Needed some recommendation on which is the better option in terms of spare parts and longetivity. Since it's for the living room, it may just be used for around 3 4 hours daily.
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:03   #7448
Senior - BHPian

My bedroom split has gone for a toss so I am looking to get a new 1.5 Ton split. After some research have zeroed in on this Panasonic model. Any feedback regarding panasonic AC's?

This is available offline as well with different model number. Costing 4k more there.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_9982.png  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_9983.png  

Last edited by harry10 : 2nd November 2023 at 12:07.
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:31   #7449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Have shortlisted two ACs for my living room, Panasonic 2 ton 5 star ZU24ZKYF and Mitsubishi 1.9 ton 4 star GN22VF-D1

Both are in the same price range of around 59K however Mitsubishi does not provide any pipe, so approximately would need to spend around 8-9K additional for installation.

Needed some recommendation on which is the better option in terms of spare parts and longetivity. Since it's for the living room, it may just be used for around 3 4 hours daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
My bedroom split has gone for a toss so I am looking to get a new 1.5 Ton split. After some research have zeroed in on this Panasonic model. Any feedback regarding panasonic AC's?
I am using a Panasonic 1.5 Ton Split AC for my living room. It's been a year and a half, and it's actually really good. After a lot of research, had zeroed-in on Panasonic and really happy with the performance. No niggles, even though it's a Smart AC. Ideally would not recommend purchasing online; do check it out personally and buy from Reliance Digital or Croma or any offline store; service guarantee is the most important aspect in ownership. Have heard some really bad horror stories of online AC purchases.
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 13:16   #7450
BHPian

Speaking to someone personally known at Croma store, I understood that Amazon or Flipkart sell A/c on deep discount profit sharing and many A/c are specifically build/imported for online sellers. Some of Panasonic model numbers cant be found in any offline stores because they were meant only for online sale.
So it kind of confirmed what I suspected all along about buying white goods from online big format sellers. QC is the first casualty when offer is deep discounted.
HereticHermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 20:42   #7451
Senior - BHPian

^^ I regularly visit and buy white gooods from my area Croma store, and they always match the Amazon price of the day for whatever item I select from their store. I am very happy with the arrangement.

Also, in case of any service calls for any item I purchased from them, my single point of contact is the Croma store. They will send the respective service people to my home.

Last edited by Gansan : 10th November 2023 at 20:44.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 21:25   #7452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I regularly visit and buy white gooods from my area Croma store, and they always match the Amazon price of the day for whatever item I select from their store. I am very happy with the arrangement.

Also, in case of any service calls for any item I purchased from them, my single point of contact is the Croma store. They will send the respective service people to my home.
Wasn't aware of price match. Something to keep in mind next time I am out for shopping.
Old 10th November 2023, 22:19   #7453
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Someone I know bought a Voltas Vectra 1.5 Ton Split AC from Vijay Sales for 32k! Pretty decent deal I think. I'm also looking at buying an AC to gift my in-laws around the 30k budget. Not sure whether to go in for 1 ton or 1.5 ton.
Old 10th December 2023, 09:03   #7454
MMV
BHPian

Hi All,

Need inputs/advice on whether to go for 4 different ACs (hall and bedroom) or go with VRV/VRF system. I am contemplating both options with long term (at least 10 years) horizon, requirement is of at least 6T (2+1.5+1.5+1) over the apartment. An AC mechanic told me that if you buy the best star rated split ACs (4 in my case) it will give same performance and economy (read electricity consumption )of a VRV / VRF at half the cost. Would need to understand what’s the experience with VRV/VRF ACs for home and does it give better savings over a 5year period (considering initial costs and running costs) in a residential apartment with normal usage (nil/limited day time use except during summers and night time usage of only 2 ACs regularly).
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 10:27   #7455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does rain affect AC outdoor units. Shifted to a new home and both of our outdoor units are in a precarious place. In the previous home it was a covered space hence did not face this issue.
ODUs as the name says can be very much installed outside. The only thing one needs to do is keep an eye on the casing for rusting, especially if you are living in coastal area. The fins will accumulate dust, which can be easily cleaned with a mild pressure wash with water or can be cleaned with air from a blower.
When you get your AC serviced, the technician will also be cleaning the ODU.
While mounting the unit, just make sure it is mounted on a nice bracket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks