Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2022, 17:24   #7156

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Can you please suggest any reliable insurance companies offering insurance for appliances post warranty period?
Old 8th May 2022, 19:33   #7157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha_8re View Post
Can you please suggest any reliable insurance companies offering insurance for appliances post warranty period?
You will be able to get insurance coverage from any public sector insurer or private sector insurer like Iffco Tokio general insurance that offers Non - Motor insurance policies.

Ask for Electronic Equipment Insurance Policy or Package policies for businesses or homes that covers Mechanical and Electrical breakdown of appliances, machinery, etc.
The Mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 07:31   #7158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha_8re View Post
I have taken Urban Company's appliance warranty service for one year. While discretionary gas filling for compressor driven appliances is not covered, any type of repair will be covered free of cost and no parts or labour will be charged. I have just got this done for my 3 ACs and FL W/M. it cost 2400 for one year for all 4 appliances.
Don't have experience of their service yet, but this is insured by Acko insurance if that helps.
Old 15th May 2022, 10:49   #7159
Senior - BHPian

^^ It is always better to have an AMC with the manufacturer, though it will be more expensive. If we wish minimal downtime for repairs/ replacements. If we take any intermediary policies, this can't be avoided.

While buying an Ac and washing machine during Jan'20 from Croma, they sold me an Onsitego warranty policy from the second year onwards. I was willing to take only from Wirlpool for both but they convinced me Croma was also part of the policy and for any issues I need only to inform Croma etc.

Now my Ac is not working for the past ten days. It shows an error code "E6", which I googled and learned means "communication error" between indoor and outdoor units. The Onsitego technician visited a couple of days after complaint to check the issue. Then he said the issue needs to be attended by the OEM fellows and Onsitego will send them to me. They in turn turned up after another five days and confirmed it is a pcb fault and needs to be replaced. They sent a report to Whirlpool, said the part will be sourced and replaced within seven working days and went off. Looks like it will take another week to get repaired.

If the AMC was directly with Whirlpool without another intermediary, the issue would have been sorted out within forty eight hours. Without Ac, we are managing with ceiling fan. What can one do if the washing machine fails, and they take a couple of weeks to fix it?
Gansan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 21:46   #7160
BHPian

My 2 year old Carrier window unit has developed a gas leak. My ac technician is suggesting coating the copper pipes with Araldite Epoxy adhesive after repair and refilling of gas.

Although he is very confident about it, I am rather sceptical. Is this a common thing ? I've heard of this for the first time. I am slightly worried that the epoxy might crack when the coils cool down.

Has anyone ever gotten their ACs coated with epoxy before? Please suggest if I should go on with it or not.
Old 26th May 2022, 23:29   #7161
BHPian

Hi guys,
After 13 years of service my old LG split is finally beyond repair and need to be replaced.
After reading everything I'm convinced I'm buying a Mitsubishi 1.5T non-inverter split. Now utterly confused between Mitsubishi Electric or Heavy Industries. Please advise.
Old 27th May 2022, 00:56   #7162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
My 2 year old Carrier window unit has developed a gas leak. My ac technician is suggesting coating the copper pipes with Araldite Epoxy adhesive after repair and refilling of gas.
I wonder why There is stuff made for this purpose. Why use glue?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 12:15   #7163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder why There is stuff made for this purpose. Why use glue?
YES

There is m-seal product just for this - seals pipes carrying fluid. You just have to be careful while applying the sealant. Use a strong Teflon tape (around 20mm on each side) to cover the sealed portion.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 16:00   #7164
Distinguished - BHPian

We were going to have one of our ACs thus treated, so the installation guys brought pot and brushes along with them. It was never done, because they realised that the new model, which we had, came ready-treated.
Old 28th May 2022, 16:47   #7165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

If the AMC was directly with Whirlpool without another intermediary, the issue would have been sorted out within forty eight hours. Without Ac, we are managing with ceiling fan. What can one do if the washing machine fails, and they take a couple of weeks to fix it?
Finally Whirlpool brought and fixed the pcb today. I did not have to pay anything, it will be settled by Croma/Onsitego. Ac stopped working on 4th May, when the famous "Kathiri (scissor) veyil" of Chennai commenced. Solved exactly on the day the Kathiri veyil ends! So the entire hottest season was spent without Ac. This underscores the importance of not buying an inverter Ac in the first place. And if we do buy, having the AMC with the manufacturer directly and not with any intermediary.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th May 2022 at 17:47. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 23:21   #7166
BHPian

Has anyone used a hot and cold AC? I have been trying to buy one and even paid the total amount for a 2 ton LG 2022 model hot and cold AC at Croma but it hasn't come back in stock for over a month now. Delivery was promised in 15 days!

Croma says that both 2 ton and 1.5 ton hot and cold LG ACs aren't getting manufactured and so are not available. What other brand options do I have?
Old 7th June 2022, 00:43   #7167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Has anyone used a hot and cold AC? I What other brand options do I have?
Try Daikin or better Mitsubishi. Most of our A/Cs are invertor Hot & Cold. Though the inverter function doesn't work on Hot if I recollect correctly and these models have a lower star rating than a similar cold but these work well for a short cold period we have in the North.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 10:31   #7168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2 year old Carrier window unit has developed a gas leak.
Does this not qualify for a warranty claim?
That's premature failure of the copper coil.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 18:25   #7169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Does this not qualify for a warranty claim?
That's premature failure of the copper coil.
I don't trust in any kind of warranties, neither have ever claimed any. Any kind of work, whether it is an electronic item, or my cars, I go to local FNG, electrician or mechanics.
Old 8th June 2022, 03:56   #7170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't trust in any kind of warranties, neither have ever claimed any.
Well, you should. No point paying a premium and not use it. In the end, its the manufacturers problem. Not yours. I can understand why you'd want to pursue FNG post warranty. I do that myself.

If copper tubing is failing in just two years (supposed to last a lifetime), its a sign of poor material quality. Surprising for a brand like Carrier.

I am not confident of the glue method. If your FNG has done this sort of repair before, you might as well try it and see if it holds up. If it does not, replace the coil.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks