Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 11:22   #6661
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Electrical cables burn due to various reasons and high current is only one of them.

I have found that in old household wiring (some in my house are over 40 years old), there are a lot of patches, wires are just twisted together to extend the length. Unlike the current trend, the older wires had 22 or 24 swg wires bundled into 3 for light and 7 for power. These are relatively thick wires and with time become loose, start to spark, and that is what starts fires. Add to that crumbling insulation and wires in a bundle can short easily.

If you ever open up the front plate where the switches and sockets are bolted on, check the connections of the wires to the terminals of the switch/socket. In most cases you will find that the wires are loose. That is because over time copper creeps and the connections which were tight with the small bolt on the terminal is now loose. This is where many sparks start resulting in fire. The only recourse is to tighten all terminals periodically. With modern thin multistrand wires the chanse of sparks are much less.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 16:51   #6662
BHPian

Has anyone availed Urban Company/Urban Clap services for AC repair? How have your experience been?

I just used UC for repairing the window AC in my room. The compressor wasn't switching on. UC repaired it. It's working fine now. This opinion is based on my own as well as my best friends UC experience. Both of us got our similar 6-8 year old LG window ac's repaired from UC within a couple of weeks of each other . While the technician seemed to be competent and knowledgeable, we felt the repairs were on the more expensive side. For both of us - the work was completed in 2 visits due to some part requirements. We feel they try to inflate your invoice to 3-3.5K. By way of labour plus gas recharge or PCB repair + capacitor + new LVT swap etc. I can't say if all the replacements/repairs were necessary or not. Giving them benefit of doubt. But there is some peace of mind because of their 90 days guarantee. So this should hopefully me last me this season.
Old 25th July 2020, 11:14   #6663
BHPian

Whats the going price for a small leak blow torch welding and gas refill these days? My regular guy charged me 4500 last time. He attached a pressure gauge and filled the lines with air and left it that way for two days before doing a gas refill. I feel it is excessive and some of his theatrics unnecessary as the oil leak has clearly indicated where the leak is.
I had also paid another guy 3000 to take another unit to his home fix it and bring it back. So wondering if i am getting ripped off. My split ac is about 7 years old and is cooling less and drawing about 4Amps instead of the normal 7-8.
Old 9th August 2020, 00:30   #6664
BHPian

Hello all. Has anyone bought/used Amazon Basics Inverter ACs? The 1.5 Ton 3 Star Inverter Model with Copper Condenser is available for 24999 (Installation charges separate) in the current Freedom sale. My use would be only during the nights and that too primarily in the summer. Thanks.
Old 13th August 2020, 01:59   #6665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Hello all. Has anyone bought/used Amazon Basics Inverter ACs? The 1.5 Ton 3 Star Inverter Model with Copper Condenser is available for 24999 (Installation charges separate) in the current Freedom sale. My use would be only during the nights and that too primarily in the summer. Thanks.
My friend picked up the non inverter 3star Amazon Basics AC about a year ago and says it's decent and still working fine without any problem. They did say that the Urban Clap guys did a poor installation the first time and they had to fight to get it redone properly. Obviously your experience may vary
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 04:19   #6666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all. Has anyone bought/used Amazon Basics Inverter ACs?
I've said this about washing machines, or dishwashers or something, on the appliances thread. I don't mind buying Amazon Basics USB cables, or cheap keyboards (typing on one right now: it is good and durable) but I'm disinclined to buy something that is expensive, and will require service/maintenance/repair rather than throwing away. I just don't don't think Amazon's business is set up to support stuff like that. They want warehouses full of fast-moving stuff, not shelves full of spares.

Colour me doubtful.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:36   #6667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airconditioners require a lot of maintenance, so I would always go for a brand that has excellent after sales record.

Amazon is basically a reseller, so it has tie up with different agencies for service, the quality of which is variable. With Inverter AC there is a 50-50 chance of a motherboard failure in 5 years, and you never know whether Amazon will be able to supply spares then.

The only situation where buying a basic AC from Amazon will be viable is if it is a basic 2/3 star non-inverter AC. These AC's are more rugged and can be repaired easily by third party. Inverter AC is a definite no.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 10:41   #6668
BHPian

Gas leak on my Blue Star outdoor unit is identified due to the fact that the coils are aluminium. Either get it replaced with Aluminium or go with copper is the solution. But the technician suggested to go for a new one since there are chances of the compressor going kaput in some months.
How good are the Panasonic ACs. I am getting a deal of 41K for a 5 star one 1.5T. Or any other suggestions for carefree maintenance?
Old 20th August 2020, 14:54   #6669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Gas leak on my Blue Star outdoor unit is identified due to the fact that the coils are aluminium.
I am in a similar boat. My samsung 1.5T split has aluminum coil in ODU. My regular technician said leak in indoor and asked me 4500 to fix. I called an alternate guy and he immediately told me ODU is aluminum and that should be changed with copper and gave me a quote in excess of 9k. I plan to go with the 4.5k rather than shelling out 30k for a new one.
Old 20th August 2020, 15:06   #6670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am in a similar boat. My samsung 1.5T split has aluminum coil in ODU. My regular technician said leak in indoor and asked me 4500 to fix. I called an alternate guy and he immediately told me ODU is aluminum and that should be changed with copper and gave me a quote in excess of 9k. I plan to go with the 4.5k rather than shelling out 30k for a new one.
How old is your AC and where exactly is the leak?
My technician is from Bluestar and he did the pressure valve check to identify where the leak is, it was at the outdoor and I am being charged,
3K Gas + 3.5K New Aluminium coils
3K Gas + 8.5K New Copper coils

Overall i am not satisfied with this product, hence going for new.
Old 20th August 2020, 16:35   #6671
Distinguished - BHPian

If they are to keep their income, our local-street AC engineers must learn to repair aluminium!

Or perhaps they just need to stop claiming that it can't be done.
Old 20th August 2020, 17:15   #6672
BHPian

Quote:
Gas leak on my Blue Star outdoor unit is identified due to the fact that the coils are aluminium. Either get it replaced with Aluminium or go with copper is the solution. But the technician suggested to go for a new one since there are chances of the compressor going kaput in some months.
How old is your ac? If it's more than 7 year then I would have been satisfied with it.
Old 21st August 2020, 01:58   #6673
BHPian

Quote:
How old is your AC and where exactly is the leak?.
the first technician told me it is on the side of the IDU where the copper bends happen, the second guy told me he cannot find oil trace and so it should be ODU. This is in the study room so i have not had the urgency to get it fixed. Plan to get it done soon though. I think these leaks are easy to fix and scrapping easily is not my style, off late.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 11:34   #6674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If they are to keep their income, our local-street AC engineers must learn to repair aluminium!
AC Engineers ? These chaps are not graduate engineers most of the time. They would have completed the school and learn on the job with our machines. This is the reason why most of their work is so shoddy.
Old 21st August 2020, 18:07   #6675
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that our local man is quite good and conscientious. I've nothing against learning on the job, because that is exactly how I became a Unix systems manager .

Their repair work is centred around brazing copper. They just need some extra knowledge to transfer to aluminium. When majority of machines have aluminium innards, they will simply have to do that, or give up the job.

(Oh, Up to yesterday, I knew that yes, one can certainly weld aluminium. Yesterday, the internet told me that it can be brazed too, so I guess they can use the same propane-based torches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks