Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 09:21   #6586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
So have bought the Toshiba as with my Infinia credit card i get 33% discount effectively and will cost the same as Voltas.
Good call on the Toshiba. They are excellent air conditioners, quite like most Japanese brands and will outlast Voltas and Blue Star. Try not to operate your aircon when voltage is not steady. This is about the only time the circuitry fails, otherwise, they go on and on.
Old 29th May 2020, 10:53   #6587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Just wanted to share my experience. I was researching a new 1.5t split ac yesterday to replace my 20 year old 2t LG window ac that doesn't cool anymore above 40 degress and increases my electricity bills to 15-20k per month. So was looking for 5* inverter split acs.
Would love to hear a review of the Toshiba once you have it installed. Am looking to buy the same ASAP. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by bblost : 29th May 2020 at 11:00. Reason: Reduced the size of quoted post.
Old 29th May 2020, 11:49   #6588
BHPian

Yeah it should be delivered today and installation is scheduled for tomorrow. I am hoping it is as good as it's ratings as my room is the hottest in my home and gets sunlight directly over it all day. I am hoping 1.5t is enough as well.
Old 29th May 2020, 12:01   #6589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Wont the coiling of the copper pipe causes compressor oil to settle in the coils - there by causing the compressor to run with less lubrication (and more vibration and wear). I think it is a bad idea to have coiled copper pipe behind out-door unit for this reason.
Compressor oil will not get into coils. It stays within the compressor. The oil is mainly to lubricate the reciprocating parts of the compressor and the quantity of oil is around 100 ml.
Old 29th May 2020, 12:26   #6590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Will give a small review after its installed tomorrow.
After using it for couple days my initial impressions -
Pros-
1. It is silent. Very silent. In fact if you dont look at the AC directly and see the digital display you won't even realize it's on. Impressive considering my Carrier split in bedroom still makes a little bit of noise which makes you aware it's on. Even the ODU had very less noise.

2. H.Cool or Himalayan cool as LG calls it works well. 30 minutes of super blast of cool air and then it automatically shifts to normal mode at 18*. Then we set it at 24* and keep it running as long as needed.

3. Cooling is sufficient at the moment. As it's a lobby and much larger space than bedroom it takes a bit to cool down. Also, as it's just a couple of days I expect cooling to get better with time. Still feel my Carrier gives better cooling.

Cons
1. Remote has no backlight. Although it doesn't matter much as AC is in lobby but if it was in bedroom it will be tough to navigate it during the night with lights off.

2. The air flow even in High fan speed seems a little less than my other Ac's.

Parents are happy with the AC so far as majority of the time they are the ones sitting in lobby. Hope it stays that way.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 12:32   #6591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Compressor oil will not get into coils. It stays within the compressor. The oil is mainly to lubricate the reciprocating parts of the compressor and the quantity of oil is around 100 ml.
That is not true for my car and my split AC units. For car, we recover oil from refrigerant gas and feed fresh oil almost alternate year using special machine.

Have seen oil residue in almost all AC pipes. Most HVAC manuals recommend oil traps. Some links below.

https://www.apc.com/ba/en/faqs/FA162286/

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/12...p-on-oil-traps
Old 29th May 2020, 12:58   #6592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
After using it for couple days my initial impressions
Thanks for the review. If you have a way of measuring energy usage, could you please comment on the following:

Has anyone tested the energy control feature on their LG AC? I have tried it often and the power consumption never changes even when reduced to 40% as displayed on the IDU and the remote. I monitor power consumption using a Sonoff. Of course, overall the unit is very efficient and automatically defaults to as low as 225 Watts on its own. I have tried the energy control when the unit starts and after about 5 minutes it is consuming around 700 to 800 Watts and it doesn’t change at all. I have also tried it after the room has cooled and the consumption is say 500 and it still doesn’t change. I realise that there might be design parameters like the temperature being too hot but I would have expected some impact.
Old 29th May 2020, 15:31   #6593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
That is not true for my car and my split AC units. For car, we recover oil from refrigerant gas and feed fresh oil almost alternate year using special machine.

Have seen oil residue in almost all AC pipes. Most HVAC manuals recommend oil traps. Some links below.
This is how my Whirlpool Ac is placed. The technician said it should not be cut. When I observe all the other Acs installed in our complex, some are left like this, some have the pipes cut short. Now which practice is correct?
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-coil.jpg  

Old 29th May 2020, 16:38   #6594
BHPian

I have a 1 ton LG Dual inverter split a/c, which is one year old now (out of warranty). The water has started leaking in the inside unit. Even after cleaning the filter, condenser and evaporator grills, it still leaks in cool mode. I could see the water is flowing freely in the outlet pipe too.

However, if i run the ac in Dry / dehumidifier mode, there is no water leak in the indoor unit. I don't want to get a technician till this pandemic fear is over.

I am fine with the level of cooling I get in the dehumidifier mode. My question is, is it ok to run the ac in dehumidifier for long period of time? The room humidity is showing 45-50% when the ac is running (from 60-70% without ac).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd June 2020 at 19:02. Reason: Grammar and removed unwanted spacing after punctuation.
Old 31st May 2020, 12:06   #6595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Thanks for the review. If you have a way of measuring energy usage, could you please comment on the following:

Has anyone tested the energy control feature on their LG AC? I have tried it often and the power consumption never changes even when reduced to 40% as displayed on the IDU and the remote. I monitor power consumption using a Sonoff. Of course, overall the unit is very efficient and automatically defaults to as low as 225 Watts on its own. I have tried the energy control when the unit starts and after about 5 minutes it is consuming around 700 to 800 Watts and it doesn’t change at all. I have also tried it after the room has cooled and the consumption is say 500 and it still doesn’t change. I realise that there might be design parameters like the temperature being too hot but I would have expected some impact.
As far as I know, the energy control kicks in when the temperature is achieved, by using the smaller compressor side. If the temperature is not reached it uses the main compressor part.

I have used it extensively over two years and YES it does reduce the power as the room cools.

By the way my Son's General does this automatically, so does Daikin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I have a 1 ton LG Dual inverter split a/c, which is one year old now (out of warranty). The water has started leaking in the inside unit. Even after cleaning the filter, condenser and evaporator grills, it still leaks in cool mode. I could see the water is flowing freely in the outlet pipe too.

However, if i run the ac in Dry / dehumidifier mode, there is no water leak in the indoor unit. I don't want to get a technician till this pandemic fear is over.

I am fine with the level of cooling I get in the dehumidifier mode. My question is, is it ok to run the ac in dehumidifier for long period of time? The room humidity is showing 45-50% when the ac is running (from 60-70% without ac).
There is a drain pipe to take care of it. Happened in my AC once and the culprit was the drain pipe. My maid had raised the outlet end on a flower pot and that formed a bend where water collected, resulting in back flow in the IDU. Just ensure that the drain pipe is sloping monotonously downwards with no kinks.

Regarding water flow, it is normal as the cold condenser will precipitate the moisture in the air. During rains our drain pipe goes full blast, about one bucket an hour.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd June 2020 at 19:03. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:00   #6596
BHPian

I was browsing this thread, looking for ac recommendations for a large 350 sq feet living cum dining room. I had bought a Daikin 1.8 ton AC for a 210 sq feet bedroom. The cooling is nothing to write home about, just adequate. I read with interest a few comments stating that the Daikin ac required 6 monthly servicing, due its microfin technology. As my ac had just turned one and had never been serviced, I was not unduly bothered. As luck would have it the ac stopped cooling that very night. I tried for 2 hours but in vain. Sometimes the indoor unit will not blow any air despite being on and sometimes it would blow normal air. I had just seen a split AC being washed in my office and had read a few comments here about servicing. Next day I gave the outdoor unit a thorough wash. It wasn't too dirty as far as I could see. Waited 48 hrs before turning on. It works like a charm now.
AseemYadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:42   #6597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

I need help from experts here in recommending me an air conditioner for a room in our house. I am not aware of the latest technology hence seeking help. I actually had to use google to understand the difference between inverter and non-inverter AC. I do not even know the variant of my current existing AC.

I need a 1.5 ton split AC. I am not looking for features like WiFi connectivity. We typically use the AC only during summers at night - that too only for a few hours and not the entire night. I read few pages of this thread and understood that the quality of all manufacturers has gone down over the years and it is better to buy from a company which has good after sales support.

My current air conditioner is from Panasonic and over the past 4-5 years, I have had frequent issues with it. Most of the times, the issue is with gas leakage. Leakages keep springing up in spite of the 'thorough' welding work. The official Panasonic technician now wants to take out the outdoor unit and inspect it. I am thinking of buying a new AC as I do not want to spend more money on repairing this AC.

Any suggestions would be really helpful. I also noticed people talking about copper wires (or was it condenser)? Are there any other things I need to be careful about?
My recommendation Voltas or LG (with Black Ocean Technology). Voltas for its VFM and LG for the extended warranty. You can also consider Sanyo. A relative of mine bought Sanyo Inverter AC couple of months back and is happy with the performance.
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:47   #6598
BHPian

I think one of the most under-rated brands for air conditioners is Godrej. I have been using one (1.5 window) for last 5 years to cool a large room. It chills pretty well. Recently bough another one and for some reason, the cooling seems to be much better than the Hitachi and Carrier units that we have. On top of that, Godrej ACs are comparatively cheaper than other brands.
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:55   #6599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I think one of the most under-rated brands for air conditioners is Godrej. I have been using one (1.5 window) for last 5 years to cool a large room. It chills pretty well. Recently bough another one and for some reason, the cooling seems to be much better than the Hitachi and Carrier units that we have. On top of that, Godrej ACs are comparatively cheaper than other brands.
In case of Window ACs - Godrej and Voltas are both good and cheaper. Good old Indian brands

I am too a satisfied customer of one of those two brands.

We aren't discussing much here about Window ACs these days it seems
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:35   #6600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
In case of Window ACs - Godrej and Voltas are both good and cheaper. Good old Indian brands

I am too a satisfied customer of one of those two brands.

We aren't discussing much here about Window ACs these days it seems
I have a 6-7 year old whirlpool window AC in my office. It wasn't cooling as before and I knew a service is due. However due to lockdown all local Service guys have vanished.

On recommendation by a client I tried Urbanclap for AC service. Their app is quite to easy to use and I had to cancel once and reschedule thrice due to Delhi-haryana border sealing drama. You can book the day and time slot as per your convenience. The technician came on time. Work was quite professional and efficient. AC cooling is back to it's best. Their charges are a bit more than what I used to pay local technicians but all in all a very satisfactory experience.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks