Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 17:43   #5401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
it may be an HVAC unit ? with heating being the majority of its job, hence kept at the bottom
It is definitely used for heating in the winters, so that needs to be bottom I suppose?
Old 26th June 2017, 22:47   #5402
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And it was. AC bedroom again yeah!

Whilst I stayed around until I saw that it worked, and amazingly quietly, I then ran away as I was an hour late for a meetup with carnatic-music-forum friends. Our engineer rushed it to us as a last job before Ramadan/taking-holiday: he won't be back for a week.

The machine is a Daikin FT50 MV16. The remote, from the chinglish written on it, is cheap-immitation replacement.

rant/ Why is it that manufacturers make manuals available for the rest of the world and not for us! /rant

I wonder if anybody happens to have such a machine, and can tell me about it, or even better, let me have a scan/photo copy of the manual?

At the moment, it seems to run full blast until it reaches the set temperature and then slow down. Whilst the remote has fan-speed settings, they don't seem to do anything. The remote looks like this one, including the funny-English button labels.

Anyway, I shall sleep better tonight!
Or I would do if it didn't have a sort-of-oily smell when it runs.

I've run the machine for a few hours on fan only: no smell. When switching to cooling (which it does, amazingly well) there is a smell. (And this time it is nothing to do with onions!)

There is a small amount of oil in the gas, right? Could we be smelling a leak?
Old 27th June 2017, 12:34   #5403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a small amount of oil in the gas, right? Could we be smelling a leak?
afaik you can not really smell the oil in the refrigerant. At least that has been my experience. Even when the leak was obvious and the oil was coming out in decent quantities, I could not smell the oil.I presume it is odorless, ie a very low volatility fluid.
Old 27th June 2017, 17:37   #5404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My AC buying ended up in an kind of anticlimax, finally buying something that was never in my list. Flipkart had the Carrier Superia 4i 1.5T going at 40K on special promotion, which was very hard to resist, and then I got 1K off on credit card too.
Flipkart delivered it yesterday and they sent the installers today. Flipkart have outsourced the installation to Jeeves, and Jeeves outsourced it to some local shop.

Installation was standard fare, but took a while, mostly because it was raining. No vacuum pump ran. When I asked, the answer was since it already comes pre-filled with refrigerant, they don't run the vacuum.

The ODU was just placed on two large bricks on top of the sun shade. No screws to secure it down, which was kinda funny.

Sold me a IFB voltage stabilizer, which I was in two minds whether to buy, but since it looked better than those v-guard boxes, I let them install it. Rs 2700, amazon has it for 2K.

The IDU is no looker and is a bit noisy too. Remote is a bit bulky, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the LCD has a back-light. It cools well though, and smells pleasant - dunno what the deal is. I hope it gives no trouble.

PS1: They refused a 500 rupee tip I offered which I find strange.
PS2: ISEER is 4.11. They don't publish this in their website.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img20170627wa0000.jpg

Last edited by civic-sense : 27th June 2017 at 17:43.
Old 27th June 2017, 22:01   #5405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
afaik you can not really smell the oil in the refrigerant. At least that has been my experience. Even when the leak was obvious and the oil was coming out in decent quantities, I could not smell the oil.I presume it is odorless, ie a very low volatility fluid.
Our guy is on his holiday now, but sent his boy today. He said they used kerosene and cocnut oil () to clean the cabinet, and smell could remain from that. Boy came, washed, we went out and took car for service, followed by shopping. Left AC on fan-only mode to keep air blowing through it while we were out.

Came home and turned on cooling. Smell came.

I think I am just not lucky with stuff at the moment

I wish I could post a smell. Scratch here -->[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Then somebody could tell me what it is.
Old 27th June 2017, 22:11   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Our guy is on his holiday now, but sent his boy today. He said they used kerosene and cocnut oil () to clean the cabinet, and smell could remain from that. Boy came, washed, we went out and took car for service, followed by shopping. Left AC on fan-only mode to keep air blowing through it while we were out.

We had a similar problem with our office Daikin A/C, but keeping it at 24 C ensure smell vanished after some time, anything above 25 C smell will return, we tried everything from washing to cleaning and it still remains a mystery. Ours is more like mold like smell than oil. Try 24C

Also check if they cleaned all coils before installing since this is an used one. Usually thats the main reason.

Last edited by madbullram : 27th June 2017 at 22:15.
Old 27th June 2017, 22:44   #5407
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to sgiitk and madbullram.

Yes, this is a second-hand machine, so any new-AC (like cars?) smell should have long since gone. Exact aged not known: maybe 2-3 years.

I use AC at 25-27. 24 would be uncomfortably cold for me, except for an initial cool-down session. But I will experiment with that.

Was pretty sleepy when the machine arrived on Sunday. I trust these people, so don't feel any need to hover over them. I just let them get on with it. What I saw of the indoor unit, the cooling coil looked clean and in better condition than any other machine we have. Not one part was bent over. It seems to be a well-made machine. It looked clean inside too: the metal looked like new.
Old 28th June 2017, 09:37   #5408
BHPian

Quote:

It is possible that they may have used some sort of chemical foam to clean the indoor unit. Once my car AC used to spew some sort of unidentifiable smell after it was cleaned by some foam. I turned the AC to full blast and it went away on its own.
So I would take a different view here: Turn the AC to the coldest for a few hours and the resulting condensation would wash away the remaining chemicals with it. (theoretically at least)
Old 28th June 2017, 11:07   #5409
Distinguished - BHPian

Would it be a good time to buy AC units now since GST on them are going up I believe?
Old 28th June 2017, 11:19   #5410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Would it be a good time to buy AC units now since GST on them are going up I believe?
I guess so. That is why I bought one in a hurry. But the downside is that most shops are clearing stocks and not taking in fresh stocks. So the model which you are looking for may not be available to buy.
Old 28th June 2017, 11:22   #5411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
So I would take a different view here: Turn the AC to the coldest for a few hours and the resulting condensation would wash away the remaining chemicals with it. (theoretically at least)
The baffling thing about this particular case is that
1) the smell only comes in cooling mode. Mind you, air flows over the same coils even in fan-only mode, and,
2) that if it is a refrigerant leak it should happen in fan-only mode too since the coils are under refrigerant pressure even with the compressor off.

On the assumption that the faint odour will go away with time, it would be good to keep a pair of socks filled with (activated) charcoal & baking soda near the AC vents for the time being.
Old 28th June 2017, 13:58   #5412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
1) the smell only comes in cooling mode. Mind you, air flows over the same coils even in fan-only mode
Quite
Quote:
2) that if it is a refrigerant leak it should happen in fan-only mode too since the coils are under refrigerant pressure even with the compressor off.
Is it under as much pressure as it is when cooling?

Quote:
On the assumption that the faint odour will go away with time, it would be good to keep a pair of socks filled with (activated) charcoal & baking soda near the AC vents for the time being.
Ahh, the things we do for the Time Being! Well, sure, he/she/it is certainly pretty powerful.

If it is likely to help, I'll garland it with mango leaves and plaster it with turmeric. My mistake: should have been installed with all due ceremony. Should have got the priest in from the next-door temple. Ha! An atheist's (married to a christian)AC, installed by a Muslim with Hindu ritual.

(No offence to anybody. Actually, we did, on my say, do the full Hindu house-warming when we moved into this house. I occasionally have a sneaking worry about not doing it for my cars!)
Old 28th June 2017, 15:36   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
If it is likely to help, I'll garland it with mango leaves and plaster it with turmeric. My mistake: should have been installed with all due ceremony. Should have got the priest in from the next-door temple. Ha! An atheist's (married to a christian)AC, installed by a Muslim with Hindu ritual.
A call to the previous owner might help you get some clue.

BTW, my Ecosport's AC used to emit a strange smell (kinda rotten leaves) some time ago. I got rid of it by running it in heating mode and running the blower at full speed.

Last edited by civic-sense : 28th June 2017 at 15:39.
Old 29th June 2017, 01:00   #5414
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. We do not know the previous owner. Our engineer bought it from him when he was leaving the city. Our man is back in a couple of days: we'll be patient. The smell seems to be getting less.
Old 29th June 2017, 12:20   #5415
BANNED

Hello people could you please suggest a good window AC 1.5 tonnes needed for home

Most Viewed