Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 00:03   #526
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
shaju: bio sleep/sleep mode, digital display on remote and wall unit etc are all standard stuff these days. TV on remote would be kewl though
My understand of bio cool is the AC automatically adjusts temperature to keep you comfy.

Initially the ac maintains at temp you set but later once you fall asleep after a few hours it increases the temperature as one always tends to feel cold later on, So that you don't have to get up and increase the temp the AC does that for you.
Old 10th June 2009, 00:16   #527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
My understand of bio cool is the AC automatically adjusts temperature to keep you comfy.

Initially the ac maintains at temp you set but later once you fall asleep after a few hours it increases the temperature as one always tends to feel cold later on, So that you don't have to get up and increase the temp the AC does that for you.
yup for the first 2 hours it keeps the temp at 2 degrees below what is set and by the time you wake up in the morning it is about 3-4 degrees warmer than set.
Old 10th June 2009, 00:28   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am happy with the purchase and would recommend the bio-sleep models to everyone !
Does the user manual have any further detail on how the bio-sleep works? The Samsung marketing spiel is that it works with your bio-rhythm. AFAIAC that's a lot of humkum bumkum unless the unit is equipped with AI, which it is not. I don't doubt its efficacy, shajufx you can tell us your user experience. What I am curious about is the implementation of the feature.

Quote:
shaju: bio sleep/sleep mode, digital display on remote and wall unit etc are all standard stuff these days. TV on remote would be kewl though
Not all brands have mention of sleep/night mode. I have just come across it in Samsung, Hitachi, General and Daikin. I have not found any mention in Panasonic, Mitsubishi and LG; and maybe Voltas, Blue Star etc does not have it either. In Hitachi its called Kaimin, it raises temperature by 1degC per hour for upto 4 hours. In General and Daikin it is linked to OFF timer and I haven't yet decided what time I want/need to switch off the AC in the morning.

Here is how it is explained in the Daikin booklet:
After 60 minutes (of setting off timer? I am not sure) night set mode raises room temperature by 0.5 degC... When outdoor temp. is below 27 degC, it raises room temp. by a further 0.5 degC after 90 minutes.

This temperature is apparently maintained till the unit ultimately sleeps as per time set. I have two problems with this:
1. The coldest part of the night/early morning is probably 5 AM or thereabout. I usually rise at 8 AM. Setting the AC to shut off at 5 and setting it to start again after 30 minues or so is illogical to me. Maybe I haven't learned how to use this feature because it is not automatic.
2. Timer setting is nullified by power cuts.

It would be interesting to see how this very important feature works in other brands.

Last edited by Guite : 10th June 2009 at 00:33. Reason: technical accuracy
Old 10th June 2009, 00:33   #529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Does the user manual have any further detail on how the bio-sleep works? The Samsung marketing spiel is that it works with your bio-rhythm. AFAIAC that's a lot of humkum bumkum unless the unit is equipped with AI, which it is not. I don't doubt its efficacy, shajufx you can tell us your user experience. What I am curious about is the implementation of the feature.

even i have a samsung axg18 or whatever the 5 star rated one is. the bio sleep is ok, somedays i find it a bit warm in the mornings but not warm enough to wake me up. its all according to time. the manual shows a graph how the temp is adjusted according to the time from when biosleep is started.
Old 10th June 2009, 00:55   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the manual shows a graph how the temp is adjusted according to the time from when biosleep is started.
Do you mean it has to be manually started, i.e. not automatic? Anyway, that atleast clears my doubt about sensing bio-rhythm, and sort of confirming that it is time based. What if time setting is wrong?
Old 10th June 2009, 02:07   #531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you mean it has to be manually started, i.e. not automatic? Anyway, that atleast clears my doubt about sensing bio-rhythm, and sort of confirming that it is time based. What if time setting is wrong?
you have to set the amount of hours and then start bio sleep. its got nothing to with with the clock. just the amount of hours of sleep.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:54   #532
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification. Would it not be cool (pun heartily intended!) if the unit remembers a setting once entered and does the job on its own on subsequent nights?!!
Old 10th June 2009, 14:07   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite
Not all brands have mention of sleep/night mode. I have just come across it in Samsung, Hitachi, General and Daikin. I have not found any mention in Panasonic, Mitsubishi and LG; and maybe Voltas, Blue Star etc does not have it either.
Bluestar has sleep mode & as Jaggu said most of the current day A/Cs have most of the features available across their range i.e. their are very few features that are only available in one brand.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:44   #534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have not found any mention in Panasonic, Mitsubishi and LG; and maybe Voltas, Blue Star etc does not have it either.
Voltas Vertis at home has it along with 3 different timers and what not

Sleep mode is pretty neat, since one it controls the temperature automatically and doesnt make you go brrrrrr in the morning, 2 it wakes you up by shutting down itself after the preset 7 hours, so that you reach office on time

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Would it not be cool (pun heartily intended!) if the unit remembers a setting once entered and does the job on its own on subsequent nights?!!
This also is possible! It has auto wake up/shut down which can be set. Power has to be ON when the timer kicks in and out thats all.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th June 2009 at 14:46.
Old 10th June 2009, 17:13   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was not talking about those features though, my post was just recommending Samsung as a brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Exactly similar in reality. Here is how samsung explains this:

SAMSUNG's new AC range has been developed by studying the sensitive sleep patterns of human's scientifically. This innovative technology known as the biosleep function keeps the skin's temperature at an optimal level during the three stages of dormancy - falling asleep stage; sound sleep stage and wake up stage and results in 82% longer deep-sleep hours for a more rested brain and body. It quickly cools down room temperature during the falling asleep stage, keeps optimum skin temperature for a deep and comfortable sleep by preventing the skin from drying during the sound sleep stage and raises room temperature to raise human body temperature for waking up, so that the user wakes up more refreshed in the morning. Furthermore, the Good Sleep Mode saves up to 30% energy as compared to conventional cooling.

Personally I find it an amazing technology. Probably in few years, we will have moving robot ACs that could also tap your bum to sleep with a sweet lullaby !
Old 10th June 2009, 17:16   #536
Team-BHP Support

BioSleep in samsung is very nice.

As long as you go to sleep when you start it.
In my case that does not happen.
I like to read and sometimes I end up reading quite late into the night.

So while my wife has no issues with the biosleep, I found it quite irritating and use the power saver mode instead.
Old 10th June 2009, 17:38   #537
Team-BHP Support

Trick is to run the ac in normal mode and when you are about to hit the snooze mode, click on the sleep button. Till then let wifee use the blanket
Old 10th June 2009, 17:53   #538
Team-BHP Support

Hitachi has follow me range of AC's. These have tiny motion sensors in the indoor unit. Based on movement inside the room the ac vent positions itself to the place where it detects body movement. Pretty clever innovation which will ensure that only the zones where people are present get AC air.
Old 10th June 2009, 18:05   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Voltas Vertis at home has it along with 3 different timers and what not
Thanks Jaggu for enlarging my viewpoint.

Quote:
This also is possible! It has auto wake up/shut down which can be set. Power has to be ON when the timer kicks in and out thats all.
My question was and is: Do you have to set it every night?
Old 10th June 2009, 20:10   #540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My question was and is: Do you have to set it every night?
Yup it repeats till you cancel the mode and provided you leave the unit powered ON. You get a notification of this on the indoor unit through LED indicators and on the remote. Double tap power button and timer switches off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks