Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 18:59   #5296
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Guys, how important is a voltage stabilizer for an AC? I run all my appliances - refrigerator, TV, AV receiver - without stabilizers, and has held up well.

I have shelved my plans to run the AC on UPS until the day I have enough money to buy a solar setup and a large UPS, so the plan for 1.5T Daikin stays. I am waiting for payday to come to make the purchase.
With electronics creeping into every appliance, protection against voltage spikes has become a way of life, no longer optional.

The best method of protection against spikes is to absorb it or bypass it. An online UPS gives excellent protection against spikes as the battery in the circuit will absorb the energy of the spike. One method used in locations which have a backup generator is to use a high power UPS with a battery that can sustain power till generator comes on - 5 to 10 minutes.

A more elaborate option is to use a servo stabilizer followed by a CVT. The servo does the initial power conditioning so that the voltage range required to control by CVT is low. This is used where the power has to be exceptionally clean.
Old 24th May 2017, 23:36   #5297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Go with Mitsubishi. I got the non Inverter 5 star 2tonne AC for my bedroom last year. Its everything that I hoped for. Chills like a dream, silent and efficient.
Is that the MSY-GN model?

Can you tell me...
  • What is the max-up/max-down flap position? Will it direct air almsot straight down; will it direct air up along the ceiling?
  • Does it have temperature display on the unit? Can the unit display be dimmed/off at night?
  • Any back light on the remote?
  • Is the timer real-time or number-of-hours?

Any other good/bad practical-use points? Would be very grateful!

Perhaps someone else could tell us why these companies are shy of putting the Indian-version user manuals online
Old 25th May 2017, 12:08   #5298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is that the MSY-GN model?
Sorry, i dont remember the exact model, ill have to go home and check the bill, i do know its the one with the R410 gas. Date of import was Feb'16, installed in Mar'16

Quote:
Can you tell me...
[*]What is the max-up/max-down flap position? Will it direct air almost straight down; will it direct air up along the ceiling?
From perfectly horizontal to almost straight down. Doesn't blow air directly up, but the airflow is really (like really) good and can be directed to any part of the room.

Quote:
[*]Does it have temperature display on the unit? Can the unit display be dimmed/off at night?
On the unit, there are just 2 small LED's which cant be switched off, but are really dim. One LED switches off as soon as the room temperature achieves the temp set on the remote

Quote:
[*]Any back light on the remote?
No backlight on the remote

Quote:
[*]Is the timer real-time or number-of-hours?
I havent tested the timer function, sorry. We set the temperature to 26, its a fairly large room with huge (18 feet) ceilings and after sometime we increase it to 27 with the ceiling fan on slowly.

Quote:
Any other good/bad practical-use points? Would be very grateful!
We have similarly got a Panasonic ac (same room, same time of purchase, ground floor) which was a 3 star 2T but the difference in cooling is very very apparent. The Mistubishi is leagues ahead. Also, since these are CBU imported units, both the IDU and ODU, they didnt come with any tubing, we had to pay for the copper tubing and wire/pipes etc. For the Panasonic AC, it came along with some (IIRC 15 feet) of tubing and pipes along with the AC

Ill try to see the exact model number and PM you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2017 at 14:11. Reason: Please do NOT reply inline. It becomes hard to read and causes problems when quoting. Please use quote boxes. Thanks!
Old 25th May 2017, 13:17   #5299
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you!

Our bed is about 2 feet from the wall where the AC is mounted. I hate direct draft; but my wife loves it. So we need to be able to point the flap at the bed, or, at least, at her side, which would be less than straight down.

And one great thing about the Sharp has been the coanda (or whatever they call it) button. One-touch flap to ceiling.

I'd miss that. And the temperature display. But hey, I have to adjust... For other benefits. Just like with wife!
Old 25th May 2017, 14:23   #5300
BHPian

You would be able to point the draft towards her, and not directly at you. It's that adjustable. I would suggest you take a demo in a showroom of the airflow feature before you decide.
Old 25th May 2017, 17:35   #5301
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you!

And one great thing about the Sharp has been the coanda (or whatever they call it) button. One-touch flap to ceiling.

I'd miss that. And the temperature display. But hey, I have to adjust... For other benefits. Just like with wife!
The daikin JTKM 5 star inverter series and FTKP 4 star inverter have coanda air flow. With the JTKM also having horizontal direction control and 3d flow both H and V .

JTKM also shows set temperature, room temperature and load of the outdoor unit in percentage.

Last edited by aim120 : 25th May 2017 at 17:38.
Old 25th May 2017, 22:20   #5302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!

Our bed is about 2 feet from the wall where the AC is mounted. I hate direct draft; but my wife loves it. So we need to be able to point the flap at the bed, or, at least, at her side, which would be less than straight down.

The flap in my machine stays at different angles upon each press of the button followed by the final setting where the flap keeps moving all the time. If the machine is more than 1 ton, there will be two flaps instead of one.

One can have the machine blow parallel to the ceiling as well.
Old 25th May 2017, 22:48   #5303
Distinguished - BHPian

Just checked back on your posts. I see you have the Mitsubishi MS-HK13VA.

On the feature list is long-throw. I think that is what points the air up to the ceiling. The anti-dirt/corrosion one I've been recommended lacks that feature. By the way, it is R32. I think my dead Sharp is R410. Pity: it is probably a different gauge copper pipe. My existing pipe is only young!

Very possible that the flaps may step. All the ones I have had hear are move/stop but I've experienced steppers elsewhere.

I wandered into the local Reliance shop which is our nearest big electrical store. The Daikin 1-tonner was there and it is almost absurdly small!
Old 26th May 2017, 09:05   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... The Daikin 1-tonner was there and it is almost absurdly small!
Caution: If it is absurdly small, steer clear.
Old 26th May 2017, 10:57   #5305
Senior - BHPian

@Thad; When I bought my Daikin three years ago, R410a was something of a rarity. The Daikin kit came with 3/8" pipe for the discharge side, while the specs called for 1/4". They ended up brazing 1/8" tubes on either end. This was probably end - beginning of models mess up.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th May 2017 at 11:04.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:09   #5306
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked back on your posts. I see you have the Mitsubishi MS-HK13VA.

On the feature list is long-throw. I think that is what points the air up to the ceiling. The anti-dirt/corrosion one I've been recommended lacks that feature. By the way, it is R32. I think my dead Sharp is R410. Pity: it is probably a different gauge copper pipe. My existing pipe is only young!

!
This is the one i got. Linky The MSGK24 VA. Check the site for the various modes the air flow can be directed (left to right). The long throw doesnt send the air up, but towards the direct opposite wall to where the IDU is mounted.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:36   #5307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
This is the one i got. Linky The MSGK24 VA. Check the site for the various modes the air flow can be directed (left to right). The long throw doesnt send the air up, but towards the direct opposite wall to where the IDU is mounted.
Even I am using same model (but 1T). As mentioned by you and one more person, the performance of this AC is really good and super silent also. Only issues (minor though) that i found with Mitsubishi are, Remote does not have a back light (difficult to use it without light) and then there is no temp display on IDU. Other than these two issues, I am quite happy with this.
Old 26th May 2017, 15:10   #5308
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I am warming towards the idea of the the Mitsubishi MSY-GN series, with its anti-pollution features. Last night, our hall AC was icing up, just a few weeks after it was last serviced. I turned it off and went to bed anyway, but woke up a couple of hours later (no bedroom AC: that's the one I'm buying new) hot and uncomfortable. There and then, I got the ladder out and examined the hall AC. Although the filters were OK, the IDU fan was covered in crud. This really destroys the aerodynamics and reduces the airflow, resulting in ice and no cooling. A proper cleaning job means taking the thing apart, which I am loath to do myself, especially in the middle of the night, so I just attacked it with a paint brush. And then there was a one-hour power cut . But after that, cooling is restored.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:47   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I am warming towards the idea of the the Mitsubishi MSY-GN series, with its anti-pollution features.
Hello Thad, some pics to help you with. First three are of mine and the rest are 2 ton machine at my sister's place. See the difference in size. Also the volume of air is very high in the 2 ton compared to mine. So reach is long.

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1495861885428.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-1495861913300.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-1495861930602.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-1495862052364.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-1495862098045.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-1495862160849.jpg  

Old 27th May 2017, 22:43   #5310
BHPian

I made some visits to the local stores here in TVM and to my disappointment Daikins, which happens to be my first choice, is nowhere in sight. My next choice is the Bluestar, but I am unimpressed by the looks of the indoor unit. Not only does it looks boxy, it is too narrow and has no glossy surface. Looks very industrial.

BTW, I was surprised to see several 5 star rated Godrej inverter ACs. That too with the R290 refrigerant. I found two variants:

GSC 18 GIA 5 AWOG -
47K (http://www.godrejappliances.com/godr...productid=4175)

and GSC 18 GIG 5 DGOG - 57K (
http://www.godrejappliances.com/godr...productid=4155).

Are they really that good? For 47K I can get a 5 star AC against a 3 star DAIKIN. Any thoughts anybody?

Last edited by civic-sense : 27th May 2017 at 22:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks