Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 18:13   #5131
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I was getting a similar smell from my Panasonic Indoor Unit, before I called the mechanic I tried my luck by spraying about 1/5th of a can of Wurth A/c Disinfectant into the Indoor Unit. ...
HaHaHa... the smell has been traced to an incredibly potent batch of sambar onions. My wife eats a few raw ones every day and didn't notice. I ate one, raw, chopped with tomato, and gasped! Strongest Onion Ever!

So this problem is marked "user error: closed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
This typically happens in areas where humidity levels are higher. Ideally, once a week you should run the AC for 5 minutes in the Blower only mode at full blast to ensure that any accumulated moisture is dried off.
If there is a smell around, though it does get into the AC... especially if there is a load of dust on the filters.

Our AC has a "self'clean" mode. It is not really clever like some of the new ones which actually remove the dust from the filters, but it does blast negative ions back through the machine, helping to remove some bad stuff.

Husband, wife and AC are all happy again!
Old 21st April 2017, 18:18   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post

So I have been using another similar bedroom with a 2 ton inverter ac, where cooling is even all through the night.

So I am thinking of replacing old Onida with an inverter ac.

So kindly suggest a 1.5 ton basic inverter, with cu internals at a 40k budget in Chennai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Bought a replacement AC for our 14 year old LG, went for Panasonic inverter.

Panasonic

Just went for the basic model, usage pattern: almost daily during summer other times its sporadic.

Price 40,900 + 1000 for installation.
Check this model, if you want more features you can go for the next model.
Old 21st April 2017, 19:46   #5133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Check this model, if you want more features you can go for the next model.
Panasonic

Looks like they have updated the website. The price on the site is MRP, you can get it for a lot cheaper. I got mine for 40,900 but MRP was 49,200.

Before selecting the model be sure what you want.

1. Features - Most of them are gimmicks but certain features are good to have. Like whether you need more directional control for the air flow. Like, control over vertical slots as well as the louvers.

2. The air purifier, what ever each company calls them. Don't know how effective they are.

3. Whether you need 3,4 or 5 star. This depends on your usage. You can see the kWhr usage for 1600 hrs, for each model from the spec.

4. How good is the service back up in your city.

Happy shopping, would be nice if you share more details once you finalise and done with the installation of the AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Guys,
Sounds like a lot of hogwash to me.
Marketing department has done its job .

But from a technical point of view, it is possible to add this logic to the control system.

But isn't it better for a person to select a temperature which is comfortable, since it is very subjective.

Last edited by ecenandu : 21st April 2017 at 19:55.
Old 21st April 2017, 20:45   #5134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
HaHaHa... the smell has been traced to an incredibly potent batch of sambar onions. My wife eats a few raw ones every day and didn't notice. I ate one, raw, chopped with tomato, and gasped! Strongest Onion Ever!

So this problem is marked "user error: closed."

Why on Earth was she storing them inside the AC??!!
On a more serious note, is there any specific spray or cleaning solution that needs to be regularly used at all in ACs? I get the technician to clean it once a year or so and clean the outside filter every few months or weeks.
Old 21st April 2017, 22:48   #5135
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, there are sprays for ACs. It's one of the things that service centres sometimes try to sell us to top up service charges, right? I don't know about here, though.

I think I've seen such aerosols for sale in SIngapore. And I think they were quite pricey. It probably isn't worth it unless one has an infestation of mould or something. That would be worse than sambar onions!
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:42   #5136
Team-BHP Support

What is the 8 volt thing in the inverter AC's?

EDIT: Does this look like a good AC to buy? http://carriermideaindia.com/Superia-5i.aspx

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd April 2017 at 08:57.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:13   #5137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@dvprasad; Inverter AC does not have an off-on mode so the temperature is maintained better.

Just an advice get a unit with the modern refrigerants : R410a or R32. The latter is essentially the same as the former with far less fire suppressants.
R32 as well has 1/3rd GWP of R410. So it is always good to go with R32.

I have finally went with R32 as that is what is going to be the near future as well considering it's less damaging on environment.

And since needed inverter AC had to opt for Daikin. Went with FTKH series 1.5 ton. It's a 3 star.

The best decision I took was not to buy from TV dealer (consumer electronics store) as they out source it to third party installers who are unprofessional and do a shoddy job.

Bought it and installed it from a dealer who just deals in AC and does only Daikin with installation of cassette AC, VRV in industrial and IT parks being their portfolio.

The installation has been good and it's almost 2 weeks now.

Money spent - 45500/-

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd April 2017 at 12:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:33   #5138
BHPian

Bought this http://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer...c/ps18sky.html for 41800, need to know if I need to buy a sollatek 150 ac stabilizer
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:41   #5139
Senior - BHPian

#@dvprasad; I have never used a stabilizer in my life. If you have an inverter AC then stabilizers are a waste of money in any case. I may add that we never faced a low voltage (<175V) problem either.
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:35   #5140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
... I may add that we never faced a low voltage (<175V) problem either.
As for me, I faced a 'brown-out' only once in my life here in Delhi. For about three to four hours one night the voltage fluctuated between 80 to 130 volts! That is when I started using Sollatek voltage guards.
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:02   #5141
BHPian

Request you to recommend either a stabilizer or some other product to ensure protection from voltage fluctuations or surge.

We do not normally face wide voltage fluctuations or surge.

But this Summer is expected to be very hot leading to wide spread use of ac.

I believe, This could lead to voltage fluctuations or power cut that will result in a surge when power return s.

I have been buying ac for my personal use for the past 15 years, this is the first time I heard about stock shortage in many major shops.

So this indicates that even in a metro, if major brands are running out of stock of ac in peak summer.

Then demand for ac is unprecedented, & widespread use can be expected.

But almost all shops were telling that these ac can manage between 170 to 265v, so only a double or triple boost stabilizer might be required.

I spoke to Rajesh Virmani of sollatek, who quoted almost a lakh for svr 100.

I am looking for something better than a regular stabilizer but not at such prohibitive cost
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:54   #5142
Senior - BHPian

The only remedy against "wild voltage fluctuations" is to isolate the mains from the device. That can be achieved by having a well regulated "Online UPS". Barring that all the other devices have weakness in some area or the other.

Servo or step wise regulators are fine for steady state low/high voltages, but can be extremely dangerous if the voltage suddenly increases (as is the case when very low voltage is corrected by the utilities). This would result in very high voltage for some time.

Surge controllers have a finite response time and the best ones work by shorting the input, which results in a blown fuse/circuit breaker which may have to be replaced in extreme cases.

CVT are good, but extremely inefficient if wide voltage range is to be catered to. The not only waste power but the lost power is transformed into heat.

In contrast a well designed UPS with a reasonably large battery absorbs input fluctuations (particularly spikes) admirably and provides near constant voltage. The only downside is the cost of the UPS and battery, which will run into 15K/KVA upwards.

For critical applications where uninterrupted power at constant voltage is necessary, the devices are connected in series
- Servo stabilizer for initial power control
- CVT for smoothing the surges and arresting spikes
- UPS for uninterrupted power

This design ensures that both the CVT and UPS are working in very small input voltage range which results in a very efficient design, important when you are dealing with tens of kilowatts of power.

Last edited by Aroy : 23rd April 2017 at 10:59.
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:27   #5143
BHPian

Members, please suggest a simple budget 1.5 ton basic 5 star air conditioner that will be able to cool properly in Delhi summer temperatures. Nothing with fancy features. Just the most basic value for money 5 star AC. Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:36   #5144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Members, please suggest a simple budget 1.5 ton basic 5 star air conditioner that will be able to cool properly in Delhi summer temperatures. Nothing with fancy features. Just the most basic value for money 5 star AC. Thanks
Go for Daikin non inverter series. You can also look at BlueStar and Carrier.
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:55   #5145
BHPian

Insulation foam from outdoor unit is damaged and copper pipes are exposed, i want to cover with insulation foam tape as a dyi project. Can anyone suggest where i could source the tape

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks