Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 11:32   #5086
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I am planning to install Split Inverter AC in our room and planning to use 2-3 months during summer (Probably only night times).

The issue I have is, there is a tube light just above the Window where the AC is expected to be installed. Between tube light and Roof, there is around 2.5 to 3 feet Space.
Can I install the AC internal Unit above the tube light? Will there be any water leakage from internal unit that can cause electrical hazard? Also, will there be any issue in cooling effect because of Tube light?

Technician says, AC Internal Unit can be installed above tube light. Searched internet a lot but could not find any answer

Please help
Old 12th April 2017, 12:02   #5087
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
What I observed is the outdoor unit is not as silent as our old Daikin.
We have an old Daikin 1.8T Inverter whose outdoor unit is super silent. You cannot make out it is running unless you go and stand right next to it.
There could be many reasons but my guess is that the 1.8T Inverter is actually bigger than your room needs. Remember an Inverter AC is not like the fixed speed ones. So they can operate within a range. 1.8T should ideally be able to scale down to 1.2T and go up to 2 or 2.2T. So if your room does not need such a big AC it will always operate at the lowest possible size rating. Obviously it will also run very silent in such a case.

On the other hand if the new 1Ton inverter AC is just about the right size (I hope it's not a size too small) then it will more often than not operate closer to its rated ma x capacity. Typically the 1Ton Daikins are good for up to 1.2T. Needless to say the sound will be far higher in this case as the compresser is always running at full blast.

Daikins generally give you an econo mode which brings down the noise in the ODU. Also, if you use the silent mode that should also bring down the sound. However, these options are really good if your AC runs mostly at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
The issue I have is, there is a tube light just above the Window where the AC is expected to be installed. Between tube light and Roof, there is around 2.5 to 3 feet Space.
Should not be a problem but ensure that there is at least 10 to 15 cms of space left between the top of the AC IDU and the ceiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Can I install the AC internal Unit above the tube light? Will there be any water leakage from internal unit that can cause electrical hazard? Also, will there be any issue in cooling effect because of Tube light?
Should not be a major problem, particularly if it is a T5 type slim tube. Otherwise it may block the airflow. Also, the traditional thick tubelights (40w variety) do produce a lot of heat and that may bring down the cooling if the cold air hits the tubelight when it is on. However, if you intend to run the AC only at nights when you sleep I am assuming this should not be a problem since I have never seen anyone sleeping at night with the tubelight on!

Water can leak inside only if the installer does a shoddy job. So take care of that part.
Old 12th April 2017, 13:26   #5088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
There could be many reasons but my guess is that the 1.8T Inverter is actually bigger than your room needs. Remember an Inverter AC is not like the fixed speed ones. So they can operate within a range. 1.8T should ideally be able to scale down to 1.2T and go up to 2 or 2.2T. So if your room does not need such a big AC it will always operate at the lowest possible size rating. Obviously it will also run very silent in such a case.

On the other hand if the new 1Ton inverter AC is just about the right size (I hope it's not a size too small) then it will more often than not operate closer to its rated ma x capacity. Typically the 1Ton Daikins are good for up to 1.2T. Needless to say the sound will be far higher in this case as the compresser is always running at full blast.
Thanks for your inputs , your points are very valid.
However my gut feel says that the quality of the outdoor unit has come down a tad bit

The 1.8T is in the hall, the reason I fixed it is because it doubles as a Projector room and in summer can get pretty hot with everything closed when the projector is running. (Use it only when watching movies, so overall usage is very minimal)
The room size is 12x24 ft + the rear has a 8x8ft L shape space.

The new 1T is in a bed room which is 12x10 ft.
I do set the Eco mode + silent function.

The good thing about the big one is even when you put it in Power Cool mode (20 min) still the outdoor unit is silent.
Old 14th April 2017, 12:00   #5089
BHPian

just bought Samsung AR18KC5UDMC five star AC.

Not installed yet.

Pl ask if someone wants feedback or any query answered
Old 14th April 2017, 16:34   #5090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Should not be a problem but ensure that there is at least 10 to 15 cms of space left between the top of the AC IDU and the ceiling.

Should not be a major problem, particularly if it is a T5 type slim tube. Otherwise it may block the airflow. Also, the traditional thick tubelights (40w variety) do produce a lot of heat and that may bring down the cooling if the cold air hits the tubelight when it is on. However, if you intend to run the AC only at nights when you sleep I am assuming this should not be a problem since I have never seen anyone sleeping at night with the tubelight on!

Water can leak inside only if the installer does a shoddy job. So take care of that part.
Thanks for the assurance. Based on your advice, decided to go for AC (Since the only place for installation of Inner Unit is above Tube light)

Purchased LG Airconditioner(Model JS-Q12VPXD) 1 Tonne(2 No.s) for Ground and 1st Floor Rooms. Got a very good deal of 32400 per piece at Giriyas, near Ashoka Pillar, Bangalore after bargain.
Also, Currently LG has a tie up with Citicard to give loan with 0% Interest, 0 Processing fee with 12 Months EMI without any documentation. Went for this scheme.
Old 14th April 2017, 21:37   #5091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How did you get five years out a Sharp!

Our local man fixed leaks in the indoor unit and refilled it. Curiously, the electronics fault (shutting down with flashing 0-6) has not happened for a few days.
May be I got lucky .

In all these years I have done one wet service for both the 1.5T AC. The 1.1T is going strong with just routine filter cleaning.

The recent coil change is holding good, although the max power consumption never goes above 1.8KW, it used to go upto 2.1KW in it's early/glory days.
Old 14th April 2017, 22:42   #5092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
May be I got lucky
Ha! You must be the kind of man that can do the impossible. Like disappearing without trace with half the world's police searching for you!

Wishing you continuing luck with your Sharp. They are really good when they work.
Old 14th April 2017, 22:47   #5093
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Not installed yet.

Pl ask if someone wants feedback or any query answered
You have not installed the AC unit, then what kind of feedback can you provide?
Old 14th April 2017, 23:48   #5094
BHPian

Bluestar 5HW12SBTU Split AC (1 Ton, 5 Star)

This product is extremely difficult to get in Ernkaulam and Thrissur but well worth the wait. The shopkeepers will try to palm you off the model wihtout the letter "T" in the model number which is the R22 version. Take only the R32 version which has the T in the model number.. Silent operation and very fast in cooling a 10*14 room to about 25 degree centigrade.
You can get it for Rs 31500/- with free installation from a brick and mortar shop, online prices are higher by about Rs 2500/-.

Buy a stand in advance from the market as the installer will try to sell his over priced crude stand to you. Do not buy extra copper tubing as far as possible.

Most important of all make sure the lazy fellow vacuums the AC indoor unit and piping for 15 minutes minimum after the connections are made. It is this vacuuming that decides the fate of your AC as regards cooling efficiency and life. Tell the installer/sales guy that you will buy it from the shop only if the vacuuming is done for 15 minutes or more.

http://fridgehouse.in/index.php?rout...roduct_id=1100

https://www.vijaysales.com/Bluestar-...on-5-Star/5324

http://www.qrs.in/products/air-condi...-11463330.aspx

Last edited by drpullockaran : 14th April 2017 at 23:50.
Old 15th April 2017, 08:54   #5095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You have not installed the AC unit, then what kind of feedback can you provide?
Apologies.

Feedback related to buying decision for now.

Other feedback later.
Old 15th April 2017, 12:07   #5096
Distinguished - BHPian

Most important of all make sure the lazy fellow vacuums the AC indoor unit and piping for 15 minutes minimum after the connections are made. It is this vacuuming that decides the fate of your AC as regards cooling efficiency and life. Tell the installer/sales guy that you will buy it from the shop only if the vacuuming is done for 15 minutes or more.

[/quote]

Can you elaborate the vacuuming part? How and when it should be done?

I got Daikin AC installed a couple of weeks ago and they did not do any vacuuming . Can i do it now?
Old 15th April 2017, 14:12   #5097
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a horrible smell coming from my Sharp AC now. Like a concentrated rotten garlic.

Could it be a gas leak? I suppose the refrigerants are odourless, but they have lubricant mixed in, right?

(Funny story: I went to bed two nights and accused my wife of being the source of this smell. I thought she had come across some body oil for her aches and pains, or even plastered herself with raw onion. Or something! She was clueless, and slept in the other other bedroom last night, just to see. She is entirely innocent! Err... maybe it's me!)

EDIT... just thought, it might be dead-gekko smell.

So, who else has effectively told their wife that she smells like a dead gekko and lived?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th April 2017 at 14:30.
Old 15th April 2017, 16:16   #5098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a horrible smell coming from my Sharp AC now. Like a concentrated rotten garlic.

So, who else has effectively told their wife that she smells like a dead gekko and lived?
Sir, it's too early to celebrate. Please give her access to tbhp so she can post the funeral details. You will be missed.

More seriously sniff around and see if the smell is fr the outdoor or indoor unit. Look for a dead rat or pigeon poop.
Old 15th April 2017, 16:24   #5099
Distinguished - BHPian

Oddly, she can't smell it. It appears, to my nose, to be coming from the indoor unit. Being a split, there is no air drawn from outside, and the pipes/cable hole is cemented.

Mechanic was supposed to come today to look. He's great but his big problem is he can't say no, so, if he is on his way and somebody else calls...

*Hope to still be laughing tomorrow, but keep an eye on The Hindu obituary column!
Old 15th April 2017, 17:20   #5100
BHPian

Quote:
I had/have the same problem in one of my old A/Cs (~15 years). The causes could, but not limited to, be:
-A rotting carcass inside the indoor unit.
-Unclean filters, compounded with damp
- Clogged cooling fins, compounded by ice formation, leading to damp.
- the unknown factor.

If the simpler interventions like cleaning the filters, using a hair dryer to remove dampness, leaving it on for a period of time etc have been tried and failed, then, what needs to be done is to bring down the indoor unit*, and pressure wash it thoroughly, dry and fix it back. Works in 90% of the cases. Except mine.

* You need to get professionals to do this.

Last edited by earthian : 15th April 2017 at 17:21. Reason: added line

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks