Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2017, 11:37   #5071
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does the flap on these machines go to pointing right down? This is essential, as my wife sits near the machine and needs her blast of cold air.

When we were buying our used local-street combo special, at first we had an LG indoor unit. It froze me at the other end of the room, but did nothing for Mrs G, as the flap only went a few degrees below horizontal.
Yet to find out. Installation will be done today.

LG had this feature, in fact when the compressor is on(every cycle) the flap go almost 80 degree below horizontal. Then it will do the normal swing operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Rating an inverter system is tricky. Most have a maximum rating above the stated tonnage. Also, one other parameter is the turn down ratio or whatever it is called. This is the minimum rating the unit can run at. One good parameter is the EER which is essentially the ratio of the cooling and the power (max). gives you a good idea. So the star ratings may not be the best parameters. Yes, I have seen some 4 and even 5* systems, but this has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-screen-shot-20170408-7.57.40-am.png
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Really fed up of the AC repair business. We have Panasonic AC's at our home. One of them has stopped functioning. We called up the repair guys and they said it requires a gas filling. We did that. It worked for another 2 hours and again stopped working. Now the repair guys are saying that the compressor has gone bust and he is charging 11k to repair it.

I think the quality of AC's has really gone down. I am thinking what to do - replace the compressor which comes only with few months of warranty or buy a new AC altogether.
How old are these AC? May be you have some leakage, by stopped working, you meant there was no cooling, right?

Last edited by ecenandu : 8th April 2017 at 11:47.
Old 8th April 2017, 15:54   #5072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ... Now the repair guys are saying that the compressor has gone bust and he is charging 11k to repair it.

I think the quality of AC's has really gone down. I am thinking what to do - replace the compressor which comes only with few months of warranty or buy a new AC altogether.
How old is it?

Some years ago, we replaced a compressor (local-street guy) in one of our Samsung ACs. A little while later, my wife happened to speak to the salesman who sold us the machine. He told us we had wasted our money: yes, the warranty for the entire system had expired, but not for the compressor. Samsung would have replaced it for free
Old 8th April 2017, 18:41   #5073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the flap on these machines go to pointing right down? This is essential, as my wife sits near the machine and needs her blast of cold air.
Yup, the Panasonic will do that, you have 5 fixed steps for the flap. The model I selected won't control the louver. This model has 4 independent louvers, so I have set up two of them pointing towards right side and two of them straight since the AC fixed at one corner.

The 2017 design models has 4 way airflow directional control, but they were 50K INR.

LG had one fixed louver did a small DIY and made it two sets. Basically, I cut the plastic wire .

The home / office air-conditioner thread-whatsapp-image-20170408-9.44.02-am.jpeg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-whatsapp-image-20170408-2.11.58-pm.jpeg

Similar design, no change even after 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Got it installed today.
Attachment 1008000
Looks clean, no display on the panel.
Attachment 1007996
Remote looks basic, but does the job.

Last edited by ecenandu : 8th April 2017 at 18:44.
Old 8th April 2017, 19:37   #5074
BHPian

Quote:

How old are these AC? May be you have some leakage, by stopped working, you meant there was no cooling, right?

Quote:
How old is it?

Some years ago, we replaced a compressor (local-street guy) in one of our Samsung ACs. A little while later, my wife happened to speak to the salesman who sold us the machine. He told us we had wasted our money: yes, the warranty for the entire system had expired, but not for the compressor. Samsung would have replaced it for free
The AC is 5 years old. But we had changed the compressor in it about 2 years back. That was changed under warranty. Now the compressor which was added 2 years back has also gone bad.
Old 8th April 2017, 19:46   #5075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The AC is 5 years old. But we had changed the compressor in it about 2 years back. That was changed under warranty. Now the compressor which was added 2 years back has also gone bad.
Wow, that is quite bad. Is your model inverter or fixed speed ?

How is the usage pattern? I hope the compressor unit is having rubber boots to dampen the vibrations.
Old 8th April 2017, 20:13   #5076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, the Panasonic will do that, you have 5 fixed steps for the flap. The model I selected won't control the louver. This model has 4 independent louvers, so I have set up two of them pointing towards right side and two of them straight since the AC fixed at one corner.

The 2017 design models has 4 way airflow directional control, but they were 50K INR.
Thanks. It's looking good there!

This model does the pointing to the ceiling thing? They have a fancy name for it... but that's what it does. In a large room, it is designed to project the draught a long way across the room. In a small bedroom, it give me absolutely draught-free cooling. I don't see a button on the remote.

Saanil, sorry for your compressor woes. I think compressors are long-life items: the companies wouldn't give the warranty if they expected to have to pay out on it very often. So I wonder why you have two failures in such a short time?
Old 8th April 2017, 20:25   #5077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This model does the pointing to the ceiling thing? They have a fancy name for it... but that's what it does. In a large room, it is designed to project the draught a long way across the room. In a small bedroom, it give me absolutely draught-free cooling. I don't see a button on the remote.
Nope, it doesn't do that. You can keep the flap fixed at slightly above the horizontal, not sure whether it will point towards the ceiling.

Are you talking about the skywing, this model is 85K INR.
Old 8th April 2017, 22:13   #5078
Senior - BHPian

I have shortlisted the following. Please suggest.
Plan to buy from Amazon by tomorrow as they are running some offers.

I am avoiding Samsung and LG as they have aluminium condensers.

My preference is option #1 - Hitachi 2 ton 3* as it has the maximum cooling capacity and I will be using for a relatively large hall. Also, Hitachi is one of the pioneers and most respected brands in ACs.

1> Hitachi 2 ton 3 star - http://www.amazon.in/Hitachi-Copper-...2+ton+split+ac

2> Voltas 2 ton 5 star - http://www.amazon.in/Voltas-245-Spli...2+ton+split+ac

3>Voltas 2 ton 3 star - http://www.amazon.in/Voltas-243-CYa-...2+ton+split+ac

4> Carrier 2 ton 5 star - http://www.amazon.in/Carrier-Star-Sp...2+ton+split+ac

I have no experience with Carrier or Voltas.

Another option is to go for Daikin 1.8 Ton AC which has similar cooling capacity as Voltas 2 ton. It's available at local dealer @42.5K
http://www.amazon.in/Daikin-FTC60PRV...8+ton+split+ac

Last edited by adimicra : 8th April 2017 at 22:21.
Old 8th April 2017, 23:08   #5079
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My preference is option #1 - Hitachi 2 ton 3* as it has the maximum cooling capacity and I will be using for a relatively large hall.
Sorry I am not updated with the exact models but yes my experience with my 3 star Hitachi quadricool windows AC has been positive. But I wanted to point out that you need to reconsider if 2 tons is even enough for your hall. We have a large hall too and finally went for 2x 1.5 ton General ACs after debating if 2 ACs were required. We realized that 2 ACs are definitely required to keep the entire hall cool, both ACs need to be running continuously to pull down the temperature and keep it down. At night, one can be turned off. But then the other one works harder and never trips.
Old 9th April 2017, 10:15   #5080
Senior - BHPian

@mxh; Have you seen that the two tonners of the Window variety are pretty inefficient as compared to the 1.5 tonners. Not surprising since the 1.5 tonner is probably the biggest seller, so all efforts are on to improve the efficiency here.
Old 9th April 2017, 17:04   #5081
BHPian

Finally installed a Daikin Inverter model CTKP35SRV16 1 Ton for the bed room today.

What I observed is the outdoor unit is not as silent as our old Daikin.
We have an old Daikin 1.8T Inverter whose outdoor unit is super silent. You cannot make out it is running unless you go and stand right next to it.

But the new one we got is quite noisy, you can hear the fan whirring even with the door closed.
Is this how the new units are ?

Other than that, the indoor unit is very silent.
Old 9th April 2017, 18:05   #5082
BHPian

My 5+ years old Sharp 1.5T inverter has gone kaput, only air comes out with no cooling. Took a risk with a local A/C mechanic. The gas has fully drained. He took one look at the AL cooling coil and said it has to be replaced with a copper one. Total damage : 11.8K [4.5K for Gas recharge + 6.5K Coil + 800 rs labor]. It has been a week now and the A/C is functioning properly. Keeping fingers crossed.

My other 1.5T Sharp inverter is beginning to show it's age as well, will wait for a month before calling the mechanic.

My 3 year old 1.1 Sharp inverter if functioning flawlessly, it has a copper coil.
Old 9th April 2017, 19:11   #5083
BHPian

Periodic maintenance / cleaning for windows a/c

Is it really required to get the technician to do the periodic check and cleaning of windows a/c?. I have one 10 year old Hitachi and 1 year old Bluestar running at my home. I had annual maintenance contracts for the Hitachi for the first couple of years and after that i do some sort of cleaning once in a year (Air filter is cleaned once in a month and once in a year, i clean the front of cooling grill with vacuum cleaner).

After the installation, the Bluestar is not cleaned once (i was not able to utilize the free check up / cleaning which comes free for the first year). I want to know is it better to get some annual contract for this (yearly 2 or three times check-up and cleaning) or should i leave them run with my cleaning itself? If any annual maintenance contact is suggested, please let me know if i should go with the authorized service centers or local a/c shops. And also the price of such contracts.
Old 9th April 2017, 20:05   #5084
Senior - BHPian

I have two window ACs one is Onida- around 6 years old and another is Carrier- 4.5 years old. Onida is super cool and never gave any problem. Carrier (7k more expensive than Onida), on other hand, is not so cool and consumed around 6k in repairs till now. All in all, not a pleasant experience with carrier.
Old 9th April 2017, 20:10   #5085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
My 5+ years old Sharp 1.5T inverter has gone kaput, only air comes out with no cooling. Took a risk with a local A/C mechanic. The gas has fully drained. He took one look at the AL cooling coil and said it has to be replaced with a copper one. Total damage : 11.8K [4.5K for Gas recharge + 6.5K Coil + 800 rs labor]. It has been a week now and the A/C is functioning properly. Keeping fingers crossed.

My other 1.5T Sharp inverter is beginning to show it's age as well, will wait for a month before calling the mechanic.

My 3 year old 1.1 Sharp inverter if functioning flawlessly, it has a copper coil.
How did you get five years out a Sharp!

Our local man fixed leaks in the indoor unit and refilled it. Curiously, the electronics fault (shutting down with flashing 0-6) has not happened for a few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks