Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2016, 18:44   #4756
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I plan to buy four of each type for house nearing completion by next month.

go for copper rather than aluminum radiators. They are repairable (welding brazing etc.) locally whereas aluminum ones need replacement.
I agree with the logic provided by your AC king.

My 3 year old Samsung Split AC has a leaky condenser( aluminium).I am getting a new copper condenser in place of that.

You can take a gamble on the unknown brand if you get a good price difference but both indoor and outdoor units must have Cu coils.

@navneet Carrier would be my reco

@amit_2025 Blue Star or Carrier window a.c. would be the best options.I am not too sure if they have 5* models

Last edited by vigsom : 10th June 2016 at 18:48. Reason: Additions
Old 10th June 2016, 19:47   #4757
Senior - BHPian

I place a great faith in assembled AC, especially for rental use. They are easier to repair, and the shops that assembled them are always available for service and repairs. As there is very little high technology used by assemblers, the AC may consume more power, but are more robust and cheaper to repair.
Old 11th June 2016, 09:41   #4758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I place a great faith in assembled AC, especially for rental use. They are easier to repair, and the shops that assembled them are always available for service and repairs. As there is very little high technology used by assemblers, the AC may consume more power, but are more robust and cheaper to repair.
At one time with a 125+% excise it became almost necessary to go for assembled units. Today things are very different. With power prices rising inexorably efficiency is the king. So I do not have a single assembled unit left, now I have a Daikin (2TR split Inverter), Hitachi (1.5TR 5* Window) and two old Videocons (both 1.5TR and older than 15 years). When I bought the Hitachi three years ago, I also scrapped the last assembled unit left.
Old 11th June 2016, 09:47   #4759
Distinguished - BHPian

My post was not about locally assembled units but fully assembled units imported by know brands and some start up brands. And both from same manufacturer in China. I really do not see any should one cough up extra for known brands.
Old 11th June 2016, 09:56   #4760
Senior - BHPian

@sudev; as a cockney will say 'You pays your money and takes your choice'. This is why I am opposing Voltas and Carrier. Remember we have not even discussed the declared Chinese brand 'Haier' even once.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th June 2016 at 09:57.
Old 11th June 2016, 14:02   #4761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Thank you very much for your suggestions and help. Appreciate it.

Got the Air-Con serviced and they did a chemical wash. The amount of grime and dirt that came out can't be described in words. It was astonishing!

The coils, filters, compressor, fan and other components were washed, cleaned and dried. Post that, the AC has worked perfectly, even at the 3-7 PM window it used to earlier shut down on.

Guess it was the immense dirt and grime that caused the issue.
Heyy,

Great job done.

BTW what were the charges? And what was the service called?
Old 11th June 2016, 16:55   #4762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Heyy,

Great job done.

BTW what were the charges? And what was the service called?
Thank you.
Got a "Chemical Wash & Cleaning" done via Zimmber. Their technician came and did the needful. Cost me Rs. 400.
Old 13th June 2016, 19:59   #4763
BHPian

Finally i bought hitachi KASHIKOI 5400I 2 Tonne AC for my bedroom. The final price I paid is 64k with installation.
After researching I found this model the most efficient with EER reading of 4.61 and power consumption of 1283w per hour.
It has got some cool features and super silent running.
Old 13th June 2016, 20:41   #4764
Senior - BHPian

There is something amiss, unless Hitachi has come up with an ace. EER for their 2 ton machines is rarely above the 4.4 mark. Yes the 1.5 ton machine would surely be almost 5 & the 1 ton better yet but their 2 ton units are generally limited to 4.1-4.3 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Finally i bought hitachi KASHIKOI 5400I 2 Tonne AC for my bedroom. The final price I paid is 64k with installation.
After researching I found this model the most efficient with EER reading of 4.61 and power consumption of 1283w per hour.
It has got some cool features and super silent running.
Old 14th June 2016, 08:07   #4765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Best of luck. I hope Hitachi service does not let you down. That is their achilles heel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
There is something amiss, unless Hitachi has come up with an ace. EER for their 2 ton machines is rarely above the 4.4 mark. Yes the 1.5 ton machine would surely be almost 5 & the 1 ton better yet but their 2 ton units are generally limited to 4.1-4.3 range.
Normal. The bread-and-butter is the 1.5TR followed by the 1.0TR. So that is where all the effort in R&D goes. Others like 2TR are not that significant for the vendors.
Old 17th June 2016, 23:23   #4766
Distinguished - BHPian

So Intec air conditioners installed. 2 star ones including installation and transformers cost 28.5k and inverter ones 39k all of 1.5T rating. Well share experience at end of season. Right now daily units consumed are about 45-50 with three bedroom air conditioners running about 8~9 hours daily. Two rooms set temperature to 27 degree and the third - next gen room - is dialed at 18 degree. This is on second floor directly underneath the roof.

Last edited by sudev : 17th June 2016 at 23:25.
Old 18th June 2016, 07:56   #4767
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ You could set the temperature at 28degrees in all three ; and still feel comfortable.

It has been working very well in my top floor apartment in the most unfavourable climates :-)
Old 18th June 2016, 08:54   #4768
Distinguished - BHPian

The 18 degree setting cannot be disturbed.....would like to but that is son's room
Old 18th June 2016, 10:34   #4769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The 18 degree setting cannot be disturbed.....would like to but that is son's room
That is probably ensuring that the compressor never cuts off or runs at max capacity throughout. What is the temperature attained in the room?
Old 18th June 2016, 11:27   #4770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ You could set the temperature at 28degrees in all three ; and still feel comfortable.
Is this the setting you use to sleep as well? I cannot sleep unless I am covered by a duvet or a sheet. As a result I keep my ground floor room at 18 too. It gets too cold in the morning but because mine is not an inverter AC, the temperature varies from hot to cold and is never consistently comfortable.

Most Viewed