Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2016, 16:54   #4351
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Hi Friends,

This is my first summer in Hyderabad. With the temperature in Hyderabad soaring to 41 degrees already and seems to continue till May, I would like to know:

1. whether I should buy an AC or a Symphony water cooler should be sufficient.
I need to cool only one room with a volume of 12x12x12 ft cube. My apartment is quite spacious in Raidurgam with good cross ventilation.

2. If I go with a cooler, can I plug it into my inverter line? Symphony says yes, it consumes power of 190 W approx. I have a new 800 KVA Microtek inverter with a 150 AH Exide battery which can serve 3 lights, 3 fans and a TV for 4-6 hours.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 20th March 2016, 19:25   #4352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post

2. If I go with a cooler, can I plug it into my inverter line? I have a new 800 KVA Microtek inverter with a 150 AH Exide battery
You can definitely run it on the inverter line. However I do not know how effective the cooler is as in chennai it wasn't too good and it was also smelly. My dad had a large bajaj one though he had an AC in the room, he still purchased a cooler for the times that he didn't want to turn on the AC. I imagine the AC should be your first choice if the current bills are not a problem.
Old 20th March 2016, 22:00   #4353
Senior - BHPian

Desert Coolers are only useful if relative humidity is less than 30%. Do not fall for sales talk and lies!
Old 21st March 2016, 00:16   #4354
BHPian

Need 6 units of split ACs as below:

2 Bedrooms - 125 & 130 sq ft - Is 1 Ton enough or 1.5 ton required? I may go for Inverter ACs though these will be used only for 4-5 months a year (8-10 hours a day) due to uniform temperature levels that Inverte ACs maintain throughout. If not inverter, then 3 star

1 bedroom - 100 sq ft - 1 ton 3 star

Study room - 75 sq ft - 0.8 ton 3 star

Living room / Drawing Room/ dining/ Kitchen - it's all open and total area comes to 400 - 450 sq ft. Thinking 2 no.s of 1.5 Ton 3 star ACs

Now brands.....

Diakin ruled out as its started gettingmanufactured in INdia and heard tht quality is not as before

Mitsubishi ruled out due to probable issues in parts availability and/or setvice (niche product/ low sales/ may be smaller distribution or service network/ hence parts availability may be an issue)

Hitachi / O General - pricey with a perceived higher parts cost

Therefore, brands which are considered are .........

Blue Star, Voltas & Panasonic with Blue Star currently leading the race.

Pls suggest me the brand as well as the capacity of ACs as mentioned above.
Old 21st March 2016, 01:17   #4355
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Hi Friends,

This is my first summer in Hyderabad. With the temperature in Hyderabad soaring to 41 degrees already and seems to continue till May,
I have lived in Hyderabad it has perfect weather for coolers. AC is not really required if your coolers are positioned correctly. However the Symphony water coolers are not good. The big heavy ones are better. Ask around where to buy one of them. 2-3 coolers correctly positioned around the house will be more than sufficient and consume around 10 times less power I guess.
Old 21st March 2016, 08:47   #4356
BHPian

How are the split ACs from Electrolux? I am looking for views on their reliability, build quality, service and parts availability.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:08   #4357
Senior - BHPian

One simple query. Have any window units not using R22 showed up. R22 outlawing is not that far away.
Old 21st March 2016, 16:59   #4358
BHPian

Considering inputs from this thread, I recently bought a Panasonic 2ton inverter from rathna fan house in chennai, it was promptly & professionally installed the very next day. I have only used onida 1.5 ton 2 star split ac for this room earlier. I am able to feel a sea change in the cooling due higher tonnage and slightly premium brand quality. However when I checked for manufacture details, it is mentioned as manufactured in Malaysia January 2015..is this normal because 2 ton invertors are rarely bought
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:41   #4359
BHPian

I got Mitsubishi 5-star 1-ton AC installed in both the bed rooms today. This being my first AC, can't really give any pro/con kind of comments. It is silent and took some time to cool my bed room. Still need to use it for some more days, before i can give any comments on this product.
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:51   #4360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I got Mitsubishi 5-star 1-ton AC installed in both the bed rooms today. This being my first AC, can't really give any pro/con kind of comments. It is silent and took some time to cool my bed room. Still need to use it for some more days, before i can give any comments on this product.
Can you please share the model number , cost and where you purchased it?
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:32   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you please share the model number , cost and where you purchased it?
Model#MS-GK13VA
Brought it from Wintair Refrigerations.
Unit Price: 36k

Let me know in case you need any more information.
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:08   #4362
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems that our Sharp technicians are just as frustrated as we are: they just cannot get the parts from Sharp. Frankly, even if they do, with one new motor having only lasted weeks, I don't hold much hope of another one lasting any longer. I suspect an underlying controller or inverter fault.

What's worse, I fear this machine was a big waste of money
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:03   #4363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Where did you buy the Mitsubishi AC? Price/discounts?
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:39   #4364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What's worse, I fear this machine was a big waste of money
My sympathies. Believe me, in the long term, I find LG to be the best bet. And not 'inverter'.
'Inverter' is a trap. It hasn't saved anyone any money. Instead it demands far more than regular ACs. When you factor in the much higher first cost and then the maintenance, the numbers tell a different story from what was promised before the purchase.
Old 23rd March 2016, 21:06   #4365
BHPian

Hi

I am looking for an AC but the likes of General and Daikin seem a bit too expensive. Which brands can i consider which are good in terms of VFM and with reasonably good reliability and service?

Last edited by JonSnow : 23rd March 2016 at 21:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks