Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 11:42   #4336
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
almost certainly you will get it cheaper outside. There are AC specific shops or the electronic market where it is a lot lesser than the dealer. Further if you have your older stabilizer you should be able to use the same. My stabilizers have outlived atleast one AC by now and have not had to purchase one in the past 5-8 years!!
This is my first AC, so i do not have any old stabilizer. But as you suggested, i will see whether I can buy it from outside and keep it ready this weekend. The installation of AC is going to happen sometime next week.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:55   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
This is my first AC, so i do not have any old stabilizer. But as you suggested, i will see whether I can buy it from outside and keep it ready this weekend. The installation of AC is going to happen sometime next week.
Do you really need one. If your voltage does not go much below 180 forget it. I have never used a stabilizer for my forty years of usage.
Old 18th March 2016, 12:07   #4338
BHPian

Quote:
i will see whether I can buy it from outside and keep it ready this weekend.
You can check olx too, I found a good one here https://www.olx.in/item/voltage-stab...tml#a2c0dfc9d8
Old 18th March 2016, 12:20   #4339
BHPian

So, i finally bought Bluestar 1 ton Inverter AC 3 star (Model CNHW12CAF).
Bought it from Vijay Sales at 35,500 with standard installation free.
Unit received yesterday, Installation will be done on Saturday. will update the experience
Old 18th March 2016, 12:23   #4340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do you really need one. If your voltage does not go much below 180 forget it. I have never used a stabilizer for my forty years of usage.
Sir, as you said, I may not need it. But at the same time, I don't want to take risk also. So, I have decided to use it.

Quote:
You can check olx too, I found a good one here https://www.olx.in/item/voltage-stab...tml#a2c0dfc9d8
Thanks for your suggestion. But, I found one in snapdeal (v-guard BG400) at Rs1625. So, I am planning to buy this.
Old 18th March 2016, 15:20   #4341
BHPian

Quote:
But, I found one in snapdeal (v-guard BG400) at Rs1625. So, I am planning to buy this.
The v guard seems to have a plug socket connection to the incoming wire from the AC. That could lead to sparking. I have had this issue. Check the premier model there on Snapdeal. The wires are screwed in to a joint connector which is better I feel. The plug can get loose contact based sparking..
Old 18th March 2016, 16:06   #4342
BHPian

Quote:
The v guard seems to have a plug socket connection to the incoming wire from the AC. That could lead to sparking. I have had this issue. Check the premier model there on Snapdeal. The wires are screwed in to a joint connector which is better I feel. The plug can get loose contact based sparking..
I do not have much idea on these. Are you talking about this model http://www.snapdeal.com/product/prem...er/1775098838? If not, please send me the link of the model that you want me to try?
Old 18th March 2016, 17:25   #4343
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that's a better price than when I saw it earlier. I saw it at 1525 or so.
Old 18th March 2016, 18:21   #4344
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that's a better price than when I saw it earlier. I saw it at 1525 or so.
After I saw your message, I also checked with the person with whom I am dealing. He suggested me to go for Everest make and hence decided to buy this one http://www.snapdeal.com/product/ever...age/1021284514.
Old 18th March 2016, 18:38   #4345
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Even I never bought a stabilizer till my Hitachi control unit blew up one day due to building power issue, along with 3 other devices. And the Hitachi was most expensive to repair, around Rs 2500. So I bought a Vguard stabilizer for the Hitachi. My other ACs are General and are less affected by bad power supply.
Old 19th March 2016, 09:25   #4346
Senior - BHPian

@mxh; Have you considered the damage caused by the spikes due to relay switching and mostly higher fluctuations due to relay switching in the stabilizer. We do not as a rule buy Servo stabilizers, and even these are prone to spikes when the slider on the variac is moved.
Old 19th March 2016, 11:26   #4347
Senior - BHPian

apparently 'Inverter AC' are no-no for rural areas and low rise buildings because the PCB and AC/DC converter that gives out lot of heat and works on high voltage is vulnerably located in outdoor unit and not sealed because of lot of heat generated. So plenty of reports of ants, lizards, mice shorting the PCB are now coming forth. And PCB shorted by insects, ants, rats, lizards are not covered under warranty. So unless one lives on 14th floor of high rise building, do not consider inverter AC because your repairs will be higher and electricity savings marginal.

Ordinary 3 star and 5 star units that come without PCB's should be considered if you do not want high recurring investment.
Old 19th March 2016, 15:24   #4348
BHPian

Need recommendations for airconditioning two rooms (120 and 150 sqft). Priorities:
1. Hassle free ownership - preferably something that doesn't break down. If it does break down, should have great service support. Basically, Maruti Suzuki of airconditioners :-)
2. Quiet
3. I live in Bangalore, and the AC will not be used for more than 3 months, so presume efficiency is not a prime concern.

Also, the installation is somewhat complicated so recommendations about an installer who can treat my home with some empathy would be great.

One last thing, sometime back I heard that some company offers a single ODU for multi room IDUs. Has anyone tried that out?

Thanks in advance!
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 19th March 2016 at 15:25.
Old 20th March 2016, 09:58   #4349
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
@mxh; Have you considered the damage caused by the spikes due to relay switching and mostly higher fluctuations due to relay switching in the stabilizer. We do not as a rule buy Servo stabilizers, and even these are prone to spikes when the slider on the variac is moved.
When my Hitachi AC blew up I checked the manual and saw that is specifies only single voltage like 220 or 240. It also mentioned that the AC is very sensitive to change in voltage. Hence decided to go with a stabilizer. I am sure stabilizers are not ideal but there seemed to be no other choice since the cost of repairing the AC is more than the cost of a new stabilizer.
Old 20th March 2016, 10:20   #4350
Senior - BHPian

@mxh; I also have Hitachi for over three years, no stabilizers no issues. There is always a tolerance for the voltage typically + minimum 10%, often -20 and +10. Many new units to get 5* use a vfc AC or a brushless DC motor in the compressor also. These first rectify and clan up the input power, and then work on that, which is DC!

The dealer tries to scare you, simply because of the hefty commissions he gets on the Stabilizer (often more than the AC itself). You pay your money and take your pick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks