Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 12:50   #2761
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Thanks for your replies.

@zwift1819: Thanks buddy, what you said makes a lot of sense. Do you have any idea how important the star rating is? The only companies that make 5star rated window acs are Hitachi and LG. I will be running the ac for about 8 hours a day during summer months. Doubt that I will use it during the winter/monsoon.

@kaush666 Thanks, always nice to hear feedback from someone who has purchased one recently.
Old 25th September 2012, 13:08   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman
Thanks for your replies.

@zwift1819: Thanks buddy, what you said makes a lot of sense. Do you have any idea how important the star rating is? The only companies that make 5star rated window acs are Hitachi and LG. I will be running the ac for about 8 hours a day during summer months. Doubt that I will use it during the winter/monsoon.

@kaush666 Thanks, always nice to hear feedback from someone who has purchased one recently.
Don't even waste your time looking at 5 star models! The more power efficient these manufacturers try to make the compressor giving 5 star ratings that compromises on the cooling efficiency. Nodoubt it will cool the room but will not be as efficient as a 2 or 3 star ac.
Secondly cost of the ac is way too high for a 5 star rating.

We buy ac's for cooling our rooms as fast as possible but if we try to save that little electricity bill in the bargain we end up spending more for just the ac rating which is penny wise pound foolishness.

Cheers
Moiz
Old 26th September 2012, 14:41   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Don't even waste your time looking at 5 star models! The more power efficient these manufacturers try to make the compressor giving 5 star ratings that compromises on the cooling efficiency. Nodoubt it will cool the room but will not be as efficient as a 2 or 3 star ac.
Secondly cost of the ac is way too high for a 5 star rating.

We buy ac's for cooling our rooms as fast as possible but if we try to save that little electricity bill in the bargain we end up spending more for just the ac rating which is penny wise pound foolishness.

Cheers
Moiz
Not possible.
Along with the star rating - you will also find details about Watts consumed (electricity) and Watts duty (heat removed).

The heat removed figure is more or less same.
1 Ton a/c = 12000 BTU = 3517 W (HEAT)
This needs to be same across all 1 ton a/c.
Similarly all 1.5 T a/c need to have a same figure.

Yes, a few Watts here and there is allowed.

Now check the Watts electricity consumed.
5 star a/c will have a lower figure than a 4 start ... and so on.

So there is no compromise on the efficacy of cooling!

But you are correct in saying that Paying a higher price for 5 star initially may not make much of a business sense, if the electricity consumption is not too high (or in other words, A/C running is not too high)
Very much like Petrol vs Diesel vehicle case.

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th September 2012 at 14:43.
Old 26th September 2012, 18:03   #2764
BHPian

Got a Daikin 1.8T Split Inverter A/c (Model No. FTKD60FVM) installed in my bedroom 2 days back. Till now, it's been a superb experience. It's super silent & the cooling too is very effective. Though is way more expensive than the competition, it feels worth it.
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:38   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Hi A/C Gurus,

Need to buy a couple of split 1.5 ton 5 star A/C/'s. Have shortlisted Panazonic TC18NKY @ 35500 inclusive of fitting. Their 4 star is only 30500!!

They say electricity saving per year between 4 and 5 star would be about 30 K, if A/C runs for 8 hours and unit cost is 6.5 rupees.

Is there such a huge difference between 4 and 5 star? If true then it would make sense to go for 5 star.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd October 2012 at 21:44. Reason: Line edited out on request. Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:03   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1
They say electricity saving per year between 4 and 5 star would be about 30 K, if A/C runs for 8 hours and unit cost is 6.5 rupees.

Is there such a huge difference between 4 and 5 star? If true then it would make sense to go for 5 star.

--Ramky
======
Unfortunately cost benefit is not that dramatic. Rrecl.com and reliancedigital.in has cost benefit analysis for 1.5 ton (5200 watt) AC. Sorry cant post link as I am writing from iPad. Summarising below:

Rrecl.com calculated @ Rs. 4/unit
4 star Rs.860 per month, 5 star Rs.805 per month, difference Rs.55 per month.

Reliancedigital.in @ Rs.2.5/ unit
4 star Rs.538 per month, 5 star Rs.503 per month, difference Rs.35 per month.

You can easily extrapolate this for Rs.6.5 per unit and for one year.
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:54   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Need to pick a 1.5 T split unit. Have never ever owned a split before BUT getting a new lounge made so need one now.

I have shortlisted 2 - General and Daikin.

Now the guy who is my regular AC supplier says Daikin is all chinese now.

I am getting a Daikin for 38k
I am getting a General for 48k

Why the 10k difference ?

Grey Market General is 30k !!

Which one guys ?
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:22   #2768
BHPian

Hi, I'm getting the Daikin DC Inverter FTKD71FVM Split Air Conditioner, 2.2 Ton fitted in my living room. The dealer says its the best and 5 star rated. Is he right ?
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:16   #2769
Distinguished - BHPian

I was looking around the house in the night to try to find the source of a noise that sounded like a muffled two-stroke engine ---dud-du-du-du-du-dud. When I went into the bedroom, Mrs G woke up and told me it was the AC, and it had been doing it for two days!

I put on a suitably serious face and said, "Dead compressor!" but was puzzled because the thing was certainly still cooling.

This machine is on the terrace. Next day, we went to look, and found that a prop that a gardener had put to hold a tree branch up had shifted, and was lifting up one end of the outside unit, which was vibrating like crazy.

I wish all AC repairs were as easy and cheap
Old 16th October 2012, 17:10   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Guys, help me decide which AC to go for?

1. Its for my dad's consultation room, so door will be opened and closed frequently.
2. Room - 150 Sq Ft, ceiling is slightly taller at 12 feet, on ground floor with windows facing east.
3. Usage - minimum of 6 hrs from Monday to Saturday, 12 hrs on Sunday's.

So which one should I go for, 5 star/inverter? What ton range? We are already having 3 LG AC at home. So far pleased with the performance. The current AC for this room had a gas leakage and is almost 9 years old. Which prompted my Dad to replace it, with a energy efficient model.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ecenandu : 16th October 2012 at 17:11.
Old 16th October 2012, 18:02   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu
Guys, help me decide which AC to go for?

1. Its for my dad's consultation room, so door will be opened and closed frequently.
2. Room - 150 Sq Ft, ceiling is slightly taller at 12 feet, on ground floor with windows facing east.
3. Usage - minimum of 6 hrs from Monday to Saturday, 12 hrs on Sunday's.

So which one should I go for, 5 star/inverter? What ton range? We are already having 3 LG AC at home. So far pleased with the performance. The current AC for this room had a gas leakage and is almost 9 years old. Which prompted my Dad to replace it, with a energy efficient model.

Thanks in advance.
1.5 ton 5 star or inverter AC. You can look at various brands.

Last edited by M5_fan : 16th October 2012 at 18:03.
Old 16th October 2012, 19:41   #2772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
1.5 ton 5 star or inverter AC. You can look at various brands.
Can I go for a 1 ton inverter? I am confortable with LG, but since this one will be used extensively thought of going for a better brand. I could see a hatred towards korean branded AC's in this thread.
BTW we had only a single break down with our AC in 9 years.
Old 16th October 2012, 20:58   #2773
BHPian

Quote:
Can I go for a 1 ton inverter? I am confortable with LG, but since this one will be used extensively thought of going for a better brand. I could see a hatred towards korean branded AC's in this thread.
No you cant. 1 ton is sufficient only till 100 sq feet in India. Dont go by what other sites say, most of them are from europe and according to european climate. Go for 1.5 ton at least. As even 1.5 ton is only sufficient for about 150 sq feet in peak hot and humid summers.
Old 16th October 2012, 21:10   #2774
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you want to buy inverter AC in the first place? It's not worth the extra price! And for a consultation room where a door opens and closes multiple times it's best for you to go in for a 1.5T.

Go in for a regular 3 star rated Ac. Don't think that if you buy a inverter Ac you can reduce electricity bills and save a huge sum. Think like this buy a 3 star AC for example an Onida which costs around 28000 approx for a 1.5T and use it for around 5-6 years. Sell this AC as it will be working condition even after 5 years plus you have saved the amount between a 3 star and an inverter Ac and pick up a brand new AC after 5 years.

I feel this would make more sense rather than investing several thousands more for just an Inverter AC.
Old 16th October 2012, 21:29   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
No you cant. 1 ton is sufficient only till 100 sq feet in India. Dont go by what other sites say, most of them are from europe and according to european climate. Go for 1.5 ton at least. As even 1.5 ton is only sufficient for about 150 sq feet in peak hot and humid summers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Why do you want to buy inverter AC in the first place? It's not worth the extra price! And for a consultation room where a door opens and closes multiple times it's best for you to go in for a 1.5T.
Thanks for your suggestion, I am just weighing different options. BTW a 1 ton inverter AC and 5 star 1.5 ton AC costs are similar, hence the comparison.

Last edited by ecenandu : 16th October 2012 at 21:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks