Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 11:07   #2086
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Sir, the design remains the same only the routing has changed..

..for aesthetic reasons, the power cable is now routed from behind the IDU to the ODU from where an internal circuit brings it back in the required form and rating for the IDU fan motor, flaps and led display etc.
So they are back on my Radar next year. At the moment the two braands are Daikin and Panasonic.

I never could figure out why, but in the early days Daikin insisted that power only comes in through the outside unit.

I have a hybrid Videocon (Outside) and Voltas (Inside) since 2001. This happened in 2006 or so since the early Videocon control units were prone to irreparable failure, as I found out to my cost and inconvenience.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:24   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys ,need your help. I have a LG 1.5 Ton split AC. From past one month i am getting a damp smell when i turn it on. The smell is what you get when you enter a wet cave or something like that(Hope you guys get what i am trying to convey). I have cleaned the filters properly.The AC is 2 years old . Any pointers on what could be the problem?
When you remove the filter the metal fins you see are the first row of fins which are usually cleaned and kept clean by the AC tech guys. Next time ask them to clean the far side or second row of the cooling fins( evaporator coils). The second row of fins is clogged with muck in your AC. Cleaning the second row is a tedious job and most AC technicians forgo cleaning this. This has to to be done religiously once every year in addition to cleaning the front row every 3 months. Filter is to be cleaned on a need to need basis and if you do not allow fresh air into the room, cleaning once a month will suffice. I have to clean the filter every fortnight because we operate the AC with all the 5 windows kept open and dust invariably gets in. We have this luxury since none in our family is yet afflicted with dust allergy or asthma.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 09:13   #2088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
When you remove the filter the metal fins you see are the first row of fins which are usually cleaned and kept clean by the AC tech guys. Next time ask them to clean the far side or second row of the cooling fins( evaporator coils). The second row of fins is clogged with muck in your AC. Cleaning the second row is a tedious job and most AC technicians forgo cleaning this. This has to to be done religiously once every year in addition to cleaning the front row every 3 months. Filter is to be cleaned on a need to need basis and if you do not allow fresh air into the room, cleaning once a month will suffice. I have to clean the filter every fortnight because we operate the AC with all the 5 windows kept open and dust invariably gets in. We have this luxury since none in our family is yet afflicted with dust allergy or asthma.

What you said is right.The technician cleans only the front row AFAIK.Will call them for service and get the job done thoroughly.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:18   #2089
Senior - BHPian

^ it also depends on the ventilation of your room. If you keep the temperature too low and close the room; bacterial activity will be far greater. Also dusty environment will act as catalyst as the filters will get clogged easily. Try to clean them more often(plastic ones have longer life) also ventilate the room often. On extreme side have a air purifier system. Cheers!
Old 27th June 2011, 09:41   #2090
Senior - BHPian

We have a 1050 SFT Office space to be Air conditioned, its 24FT by 40 FT Long hall and a 100 SFT small landing area near the stairs. We cannot install plant ACs and we are looking at split units, the 100SFT space will act as a server room and there will be a 100 SFT cabin for conference, rest will be one operations floor. Please suggest

Thanks,

Pramod
Old 29th June 2011, 17:31   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
We have a 1050 SFT Office space to be Air conditioned, its 24FT by 40 FT Long hall and a 100 SFT small landing area near the stairs. We cannot install plant ACs and we are looking at split units, the 100SFT space will act as a server room and there will be a 100 SFT cabin for conference, rest will be one operations floor. Please suggest

Thanks,

Pramod
Hello Pramod Sir,

Since your message lacks in the information about the area which is exposed to sun, so the actual requirement may be slightly different.It would be better if you can give the layout w.r.t the directions and the number of employees who will be present in the office during the working hours along with the sun exposed area.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 29th June 2011, 19:26   #2092
Senior - BHPian

^ A rough calculator and a expanded version is available at the Daikin site. Link if the link does not work, then do navigate their menu and a section is dedicated to finding the best tonnage for your purpose.
Old 29th June 2011, 22:58   #2093
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,

Pramod
Assuming that you have about 20 to 30 persons in the room and one side is sun facing but with decent heat reflectors, I suggest getting two units of Daikin. The numbers are FVY71 and FVY100. Use both units for cooling in the initial stages and then switch off the bigger unit for maintaining the temperature. If the room is not well insulated then you can switch of the smaller unit. In peak summers both can remain on and in winters you can use their heater function. Make sure not to buy units with the same cooling capacity if you intend to save money in the long term.
Use the minimum required tonnage ac among the two that will not cut off often. Continuous running is preferred over repeated off and on. Both units should preferably be placed in diagonally opposite corners or opposite sides of the same corner. For wiring from the electricity meter to the Ac units use the thickest wiring you can afford. You will save a lot of money if voltage does not drop more than 3 volts from the meter to the AC.
Daikin FVY71 Price, Features, Deals, Offers, Reviews, Images, Videos
If Daikin is too expensive for you then head to the Panasonic store.
If you have deep pockets then head over to the O General units. Keep the tonnage in the same ballpark.

Forgot to mention to install Orient Hurricane model( not any other model of the company) fans for each cubicle.The size of the fan should be 1050 mm and brown colour. Max you should go is to 1200mm and not any higher. Ceiling fans are a must in A/C room contrary to common thought especially when having very powerful Ac units.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 29th June 2011 at 23:10.
Old 30th June 2011, 00:16   #2094
BANNED

Coming to compressor global leader which has highest market share in refigeration , airconditioning is Danfoss . The company is active in India .They have many first to there name including the first commercially produced Varibale Frequency Drive / Inverter , A huge range of extremely efficient compressor , RTD'd etc .Infact i think Bluestar , Carrier buy from danofss for many of their applications .But i believe Danfoss is not focused on low tonnage as of now in India.
We have a old white westinghouse which is over 14 years old and till date apart from filter cleaning / 3 times complete cleaning has not required any job .
Old 30th June 2011, 09:25   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,

Pramod
Rough estimate
- 1000 sqf = 10 tons
- 32 persons = 8 tons
- 6KW of computer = 2 tons

These are for 40 degrees ambient and 22 degrees room temparature. If the room is cool you can reduce 2-4 tons, but you will still require 15 tons minimum. Any thing less you will be sweating in peak summer.

What is more important than cooling is that there has to be ventilation/air scrubbing else the room will soon become stuffy. That is why for large office areas, central AC is preferred. The air is recirculated and cooled by chillers, there by ensuring that there is no stale air.

Please get in touch with Blue Star or Daikin professional services group. They will calculate the requirement and guide you properly.
Old 30th June 2011, 16:45   #2096
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Anytime rana_kirti, Do post a snap or two of the machines once installed. Especially the ODU with the covers off, if you can manage to take some during install that is.
here's some pictures that you requested..

Regards,

Rana.

P.S : Thanks a lot for all your help
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-idu-1-.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-idu-1-b.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-idu-1-c.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-idu-2-.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-idu-2-b.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_1541.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-odu-1.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-odu-2.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-odu-label.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-odu-side.jpg  

Last edited by rana_kirti : 30th June 2011 at 16:47.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 23:22   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I suggest getting two units of Daikin. The numbers are FVY71 and FVY100. Use both units for cooling in the initial stages and then switch off the bigger unit for maintaining the temperature.
Daikin FVY71 Price, Features, Deals, Offers, Reviews, Images, Videos
Forgot to mention to install Orient Hurricane model( not any other model of the company) fans for each cubicle.The size of the fan should be 1050 mm and brown colour. Max you should go is to 1200mm and not any higher. Ceiling fans are a must in A/C room contrary to common thought especially when having very powerful Ac units.
If two units do not suffice then buy two more units of the same two capacities. That means in total 2 units FY71 and 2 units FY100. Placing them in opposite corners of the room should be fine with the same tonnage in diagonally opposite ends of the room. Without the fans you will need all fours units. But for start up companies electricity bills have to be curtailed to a great extent. Electricity economics matter in the early stages of any company.
Old 1st July 2011, 10:50   #2098
BHPian

I have a 1.5ton Godrej split AC with Syscon stabilizer

Stabilizer Model = XL'ent
4kVA
input volts = 190 - 270 V
output volts = 200 - 240 v

working range 160 - 270 , 50Hertz

with the above setup am still getting low voltages during the night times, am not able to sleep. This stabilizer was given by the dealer when i got the AC...

Is this normal stabilizer .... i really do not know.

should i go for Double boost stabilizer or Triple boost ?

how much will it cost in chennai
Old 1st July 2011, 12:22   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Thank you rana_kirti, that is a neat machine inside and out.
Old 4th July 2011, 10:56   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
I have a 1.5ton Godrej split AC with Syscon stabilizer

Stabilizer Model = XL'ent
4kVA
input volts = 190 - 270 V
output volts = 200 - 240 v

working range 160 - 270 , 50Hertz

with the above setup am still getting low voltages during the night times, am not able to sleep. This stabilizer was given by the dealer when i got the AC...

Is this normal stabilizer .... i really do not know.

should i go for Double boost stabilizer or Triple boost ?

how much will it cost in chennai
What you have is a normal stabilizer meant for steady power supply. Costs around Rs.1200 - Rs.1500 max. It is useless for Chennai's EPIC low voltage problem.

Go for a Triple Boost from V-Guard. A bit costly, but works like a charm and has a internal fan to cool the unit off.

Ignore all the local makes like Shakthi, Prime, Guardian etc as they are worst of the lot (uses aluminium inside, and goes kaput soon). I have a twin boost PRIME make, which starts smelling like burning after 2am early morning. Fills the room with the pungent smell and we shut it off everyday around 2am. Am looking for Triple booster now.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks