Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2011, 19:02   #1951
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I always try to buy the best and had also shortlisted General for Window unit and Daikin for the split. But I have heard that General is very poor in their after sales service. I searched their website but they don't seem to have any service centre in Noida. I was also told the local quality is not as good as the UAE ones but if you say so that local is good enough, I will accept that. Do you have any idea or feedback about their service.

I had read your excellent post wherein you had rated / equated all AC brands to cars. I am unable to locate that post, but am surprised that you recommend Whirlpool & Videocon. Maybe their quality from new plant has improved. I will go and check these two and also White Westinghouse.
Glad to be of help and thank you for your comment on the post which can be found here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2300310

You can contact General's Delhi office and get their preferred dealer/service provider's details for NOIDA. They are a bit disorganized when it comes to after sales and it is best to buy from their sales + service dealers rather than stand alone sales only dealers read multibrand showroom.

:: Welcome to the OGENERAL AIR CONDITIONERS :::

As for recommending Whirlpool and Videocon, well one has to give credit where it is due. Ever since Whirlpool launched its very competitive range of air conditioners, I have not heared a negative feedback. Whirlpool is a global giant in its own right, as big if not bigger than either of the Koreans. The two factories in Faridabad and Ranjangaon are as good as any of their plants outside India. They also have a very well knit after sales service network which penetrates deep even into tier 3 & 4 cities and towns. As for Videocon, they too have quality products coming out of Paithan and again have a Pan India presence with a fairly good service network. Their window machines are primarily based on old Panasonic designs so one cannot go wrong in the cooling. However the noise levels due to the fan's air cutting can vary from machine to machine.

Coming to the General again. The IDU is completely imported. The ODU is what is manufactured in Chennai or Pondy. However as we all know manufacturing these days in more of assembly with components being sourced and put together rather than being actually manufactured at the same site. I have three General units currently, two 'locally made' ( one 1.5 ton split & a 1ton window) and one imported unit (1.5 ton window with reciprocating compressor) bought from General India's channel partner with bill and warranty and all of them are at par for their given capabilities. The first of these units was bought 8 years back and the youngest is now 6 years old. I have never had to call up the service guys as yet. 'Touch Wood'.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:23   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Coming to the General again. The IDU is completely imported. The ODU is what is manufactured in Chennai or Pondy. However as we all know manufacturing these days in more of assembly with components being sourced and put together rather than being actually manufactured at the same site. I have three General units currently, two 'locally made' ( one 1.5 ton split & a 1ton window) and one imported unit (1.5 ton window with reciprocating compressor) bought from General India's channel partner with bill and warranty and all of them are at par for their given capabilities. The first of these units was bought 8 years back and the youngest is now 6 years old. I have never had to call up the service guys as yet. 'Touch Wood'.
Hello Khoj Sir,

Can you please tell me the amount of electricity in terms of the unit/hour the reciprocating and the rotary compressor unit which you already possess for so long consumes individually. Since soon I will be purchasing an AC unit for my father's shop and there the power rates will be commercial and the shop is exposed to west direction as well as the roof is also exposed to sun.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 30th May 2011, 02:00   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Lalit,
I would if I could. However there is no way to get meter readings for individual machines. One can get running current readings and then calculate the consumption but I do not have the necessary instrument for that. If it is of any relevance, my 1.5 ton general with the reciprocating compressor is installed in a commercial location.
Regards
Old 30th May 2011, 09:20   #1954
Senior - BHPian

@harry10; and @TYAGI; The price difference is negligible, and this is to be expected. The major components are all the same. Small condenser and evaporator and a different compressor. In practice the power consumption difference is even smaller - the 1.5 tonner will cool faster and thus the duty cycle will be significantly shorter.
Old 30th May 2011, 09:22   #1955
Senior - BHPian

A 1.5 ton unit may consume anything from 7A (5* in a moderate ambient) to 13A+ (old Voltas in hot weather). You can expect the actual consumption to be about 5-10% lower than specified -which understand is more of a worst case scenario.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:59   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@harry10; and @TYAGI; The price difference is negligible, and this is to be expected. The major components are all the same. Small condenser and evaporator and a different compressor. In practice the power consumption difference is even smaller - the 1.5 tonner will cool faster and thus the duty cycle will be significantly shorter.
Hello SGIITK Sir,

I think you mean to say that there is very marginal difference in the power consumption of a 1 ton unit and 1.5 ton unit.If this is the case then the star ratings are having no use since we will be requiring no such rating method to prove the efficiency.

In my opinion the usage pattern which is purely based on the factors like the part of country in which the AC is to perform and the area which is required to be cooled are the deciding factors. These factors are ultimately revolving the energy meter and in turn the hole in the picket gets bigger and bigger with time silently.

Here in Ghaziabad a 1 Ton AC will consume 1 unit/ hour and 1.5 Ton AC will consume 1.75 unit per hour.And keeping the energy unit costs while calculating it turns in to huge difference which can run from few hundreds to few thousands.Like we see in the star ratings comparison.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Its like buying a car without bothering about the fuel efficiency and running costs which I think no body does since the first statement regarding a new car in todays scenario is the efficiency and spares which hits in the long run.

This is my point of view.Kindly don't take it in any offensive manner since I belong to a middle class family and I have spend money wisely.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 30th May 2011, 14:30   #1957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
there's been a big error on my part. i always felt my living room was 300 sq ft. and i was planning to go for 2 x 1.5 tons ACs.

But i measured it today and it's actually 19 x 13 = 250 sq ft.

Do you guys think this changes anything ? I'm now kind of thinking to go for a single 2.2 Inverter ton AC ( which runs @ 7800 - 29000 BTU, so i guess upto the capacity of a 2.4-2.5 ton AC ) from Daikin for my living room.

If i essentially place the AC in the center of the room length wise...

1. Will 2.2 tonnage be enough for 250 sq ft ?

2. Or should i still do a 2 x 1.5 ton ?

Room Conditions.

- On 4th floor.
- Roof exposed.
- Living room has bedrooms on east and west side and north and south side is naked.

Also is there a link to a room size vs tonnage guide ?

Thanks
bump.... guys looking for some feedback on this
Old 30th May 2011, 15:21   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
I think a Daikin 2 ton ac is sufficient for this size. I use a 1.5 ton LG to manage a 170 sqft room. Pretty good. So a 2 ton (2.2) Daikin or Panasonic or Bluestar should be sufficient (will take some time) for your room size.

Ideally technicians will suggest you to go for a 2x1.5 ton for effective / quicker cooling.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 30th May 2011 at 15:22.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:37   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Hello rana_kirti,

You can check the link mentioned below for the tonnage requirement.
AC

This is taken from ONIDA site but it will definately give you the clear idea about the AC tonnage required in your scenario.

Also as per my personal opinion,

1. You can go for a 2.2 ton unit in particular along with the two fans to circulate the air in better manner since the room is 19x 13.

2. Also keep in mind about the installation wall because the Ac should not be exposed to direct sunlight since it will directly affect the compressor life.

3. In Delhi summers even the best AC sometimes struggle if the roof is exposed to direct sunlight.So you can either try to cover the roof area with the dump tiles which you can ask from any tile dealer so that you can spread it across the roof or on this room in particular so as to avoid the direct heat transfer to the roof concrete and indirectly supporting the AC.

4. Two window unit will consume more power than a single 2.2 ton unit to cool the same area.

FYI my drawing room is on the first floor measuring 16.5L x 13W x 12H and is connected to the central lobby measuring 20 L x 20 W x 12 H, is on the first floor and walls and roof is not exposed to direct sunlight. I have HITACHI 1.5 ton unit in my drawing room and it is behaving quite well even in the 44 degree outside temp with one fan running in each room.

Even the kitchen area 10L x 6W x 12 H is comfortably cool to 28-30 degree when my mother cooks.

Kindly decide accordingly.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 30th May 2011, 15:51   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
I think you mean to say that there is very marginal difference in the power consumption of a 1 ton unit and 1.5 ton unit.If this is the case then the star ratings are having no use since we will be requiring no such rating method to prove the efficiency.
You slightly misunderstood me. Say you have a 1TR AC in your room and it runs on a 60% duty cycle. If you now put in a 1.5TR unit, then you will expect it to run for only 40% (or maybe a bit more) of the time. So the total power consumption will not be as different as you may expect from the compressor ratings alone.

Also, the room will cool down faster. This part will, of course, involve some extra electricity.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 18:10   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
You slightly misunderstood me. Say you have a 1TR AC in your room and it runs on a 60% duty cycle. If you now put in a 1.5TR unit, then you will expect it to run for only 40% (or maybe a bit more) of the time. So the total power consumption will not be as different as you may expect from the compressor ratings alone.

Also, the room will cool down faster. This part will, of course, involve some extra electricity.
This is where an Inverter AC shines. You get a 1.5tr AC, it cools fast and then ramps down to maintain the temparature, while reducing the electricity consumption. I believe that the Inverter AC are efficient to at least 30% of full capacity, and can go down to 10% of the capacity at slightly lower efficiency.

You do require this range in Delhi as in summers you have 45 degrees during day, while in milder weather it may come down to 25 degrees at night.
Old 30th May 2011, 19:06   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
I think a Daikin 2 ton ac is sufficient for this size. I use a 1.5 ton LG to manage a 170 sqft room. Pretty good. So a 2 ton (2.2) Daikin or Panasonic or Bluestar should be sufficient (will take some time) for your room size.

Ideally technicians will suggest you to go for a 2x1.5 ton for effective / quicker cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Hello rana_kirti,

You can check the link mentioned below for the tonnage requirement.
AC

This is taken from ONIDA site but it will definately give you the clear idea about the AC tonnage required in your scenario.

Also as per my personal opinion,

1. You can go for a 2.2 ton unit in particular along with the two fans to circulate the air in better manner since the room is 19x 13.

2. Also keep in mind about the installation wall because the Ac should not be exposed to direct sunlight since it will directly affect the compressor life.

3. In Delhi summers even the best AC sometimes struggle if the roof is exposed to direct sunlight.So you can either try to cover the roof area with the dump tiles which you can ask from any tile dealer so that you can spread it across the roof or on this room in particular so as to avoid the direct heat transfer to the roof concrete and indirectly supporting the AC.

4. Two window unit will consume more power than a single 2.2 ton unit to cool the same area.

FYI my drawing room is on the first floor measuring 16.5L x 13W x 12H and is connected to the central lobby measuring 20 L x 20 W x 12 H, is on the first floor and walls and roof is not exposed to direct sunlight. I have HITACHI 1.5 ton unit in my drawing room and it is behaving quite well even in the 44 degree outside temp with one fan running in each room.

Even the kitchen area 10L x 6W x 12 H is comfortably cool to 28-30 degree when my mother cooks.

Kindly decide accordingly.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
thanks guys... i think i'll just go with 2 x 1.5 ton. price diff between a 2.2 vs 2 x 1.5 should not be much and at least it will cool properly.

That being said.. lalit i was keen on how the air flow is happening from your drawing room to kitchen. can u put up a little diagram of the floor plan with the and where the ac is installed.

i want to also set up the AC in such a way that the cool air travels to the kitchen so that mom can cook comfortably over there.

Regards,

Rana
Old 30th May 2011, 19:28   #1963
Team-BHP Support

After the use of a lot of lung power on the call center and the company guys, got the AC rectified. There was some debris that was stuck in the fans producing noise (that was very scary )

Last edited by Eddy : 30th May 2011 at 19:33.
Old 30th May 2011, 19:57   #1964
BHPian

Hello rana_kirti,

This is for your kind information that we own three flats on the same plot.We live on the first floor and have tenants on the ground and second floor.North side is open and park facing.Rest three side we have other built up plots.Kindly find attached the plot layout for your reference.

The central fan is the 1400 mm sweep fan and runs on full speed.The LG Ac's are not used at that time and the doors of both the back side room are closed so that no air is passed on to them.

In the drawing room / front room both fans ( 1200 mm sweep ) are on full speed with the doors closed and Hitachi AC running at 24-25 degree with full fan speed in auto swing mode.It takes almost 20-30 min to get the cool air to circulate till the kitchen end which is almost 20-25 ft away from Hitachi Ac.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
After the use of a lot of lung power on the call center and the company guys, got the AC rectified. There was some debris that was stuck in the fans producing noise (that was very scary )
Hello Eddy Sir,

Congrats.Kindly share the way you follow up with HITACHI so that others can also get the way out.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 30th May 2011, 20:57   #1965
BHPian

Hi Lalit,

thanks for the detailed explanation. I cant seem to find the attached plot layout. I was wanting to ask a few more questions based on that.

Regards,

Rana

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks