Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 21:39   #1741
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have checked the grill temparature a number of times. It is more or less constant for a given air flow. The temparature has little bearing on the capacity, because the temparature is same whether on a one ton or a three ton unit. What matters is how much air it can cool, and that depends mostly on the quantum of the air cooled in the system. You will notice that if you reduce the air flow the temparature drops, but the room takes longer to cool.
Hi Aroy,
I understand what you are saying and that is why I was surprised when the technician insisted that both machines are achieving a set temperature with similar timings.

Quote:
A word of caution. As newer gasses require higher pressure, it is better to use only reputed installers, who will use thicker gauge tubes and higher pressure connectors, with teflon tape at every joint. The run of the mill technicians will use older thinner gauge tubes and inferior jointing to reduce costs, but leave you with a potential leak prone installation. That may be one of the reasons why Daikin at times refuses to honour warranty claims if not installed by their authorised technicians.
Yes, this is very important and I have time and again been posting this. I learnt the above from personal experience some years ago and would not like any one else to go through the kind of mess that I had to tread through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Suggest an AC preferably 1.5 ton. Has to a window installation.I need to buy two unit, one of the room is directly exposed to sun for a greater part of the day, other room sees the shades for most of the day.
Hi Gill,
Since there is no indication of the budget I would just like Pankaj Sacdeva recommend the Whirlpool range. They have models from the low to medium price range and all of their machines are well built. Towards the higher end I would recommend the General window units. These are very rugged and extremely effective machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
i'm yet to get the heaters.. so do go ahead and give me your suggestion... maybe here or else in a pm or a water heater thread if there is one.

thanks
I would recommend heaters manufactured by A.O.Smith for both the instant and storage units, once again from personal experience. A. O. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
can i assume that all the dealers listed on the daikinindia website are authorized technicians and daikin will honour warrant if i bought from one of these dealers.... ?
Yes, that is correct. Having said that, the smart thing would be to counter check with the company as to the current status of their relationship with any given dealer. The websites sometimes lag behind the present day arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ARoy; @Khoj; I think the moral of the whole thing is that we should ignore less that 10% variations in the ratings. I will say even more so, since the exact installation and charging can easily cause this sort of variation.
Sir,
I would like to agree with what you are implying. However on the flip side, given the above would it not be all the more reason to choose the higher rated machine, provided of course if all other features are identical for the two units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Mumbai folks please let me know, if it is OK to buy the ac's from ALFA, Andheri. they have considerable price difference on O generals and Hitachi, only that there is no bill and warranty from the seller or the company as all are imported.

I am looking to buy 3, (two 1 ton and one 1.5 ton all split)
cheers!!
I love stuff from Alfa as long as it is cordless phones, clothes stands, step ladders, chocolates, odd ball snacks etc etc and of course Boots shower gels I agree with what Aroy said regarding going ahead, if it were window acs under consideration.

For the spits, if they are willing to give you shop warranty in writing (you will have to talk to the shop manager, the salesman will say no upfront) and the price differential is actually substantial then go ahead. If not, then go to the market selling airconditioning equipment on Mohammed Ali road and you will find General machines at much better prices there, without any warranty off course.

Last edited by khoj : 4th May 2011 at 21:41.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 10:59   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I have kept aside 22k for the AC purchase.I fail to understand the price variations and star ratings.
Star Rating are an indication of the efficiency of the appliance, that is in case of AC how much electricity it will consume for a given cooling. The higher the rating the lower the electricity consumption for same amount of cooling. Power (taken from LG site)
5* - 7.1A
3* - 8.4A
2* - 9.0A

Hence a 5* AC consumes 64% of power compared to 2*, and it will be approximately 50% of a 1*.

Prices for appliances are dictated by two factors :
1. The cost of technology. Normal AC with lower star rating using R22 refrigerants have the lowest cost of manufacture, as the technology is mature (lots of manufacturers of compressors and components) hence cheaper. High technology (inverter AC) products using R410 use more expensive components.

2. Better components. High efficiency heat exchangers using copper fins & tubes, better air flow and robust motors cost more than normally available components.

3. What the market can bear. If there is a lot of competition, prices are depressed, if the product is unique the prices are raised.

In short a high efficiency, inverter based AC using premium components, would cost two to three times that of a low efficiency AC, using cheap components.

As an example if you run a 1* AC 12hours and electricity is Rs5/unit, you will be paying around Rs120/day. Savings with 5* is Rs 60/day or 10K in a period of six months. This is typical of our AC in Delhi, hence it makes sense to get a 5* for us as we recover the money in less than two years. An added advantage is that as the electricity costs keep climbing we recover much faster. Add to that electricity shortage and you can run more appliances within your sanctioned load (and existing wiring!)
Old 5th May 2011, 11:33   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As an example if you run a 1* AC 12hours and electricity is Rs5/unit, you will be paying around Rs120/day.
What size is this supposed to be, to consume electricity @ 2 units per hour for 12 hours? Moreover the compressor will not be running for this entire duration?

I would imagine the consumption for most 1 ton window units to be approximately 1 unit / hour, accounting for compressor cut offs. A 1.5 ton unit may consume a little more.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:48   #1744
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj; Seems my post did not get through - network blues. 5% variation means that 1.5TR will be from 17,100 to 18,900BTU. This is normal and is built into the specs, How do know that the oneyou buy is not 18.9k! I will also add that the most popular size is 1.5T so this is the one to be best optimised.

Most Inverter Units have an output range and the max is higher than the nominal BTU rating.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:02   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What size is this supposed to be, to consume electricity @ 2 units per hour for 12 hours? Moreover the compressor will not be running for this entire duration?

I would imagine the consumption for most 1 ton window units to be approximately 1 unit / hour, accounting for compressor cut offs. A 1.5 ton unit may consume a little more.
The figures quoted are for LG 1.5 ton (from net). The 1* is based on my current measurements of my earlier "Local" machine. In my pursuit to reduce the Electricity Bill, I have been measuring the base load of my house - Rs.; 700-1000/month, and with 3 AC working for 16, 10 and 6 hours every day - Rs.8,000 - 12,000/month from April till September, we pay a peak rate of about 4.75/unit. (Apart from a clamp on meter, the Electronic Power Meters installed give really accurate consumption figures)

My observation is that during summer (even now)

1. Machine initial run - 45min
2. Stop 3 min
3. Running - 10 min
So a duty cycle of 10/13 = .76. for 16 hours = 12 hours on time
= 18 units @7.1A
~ Rs.90/day @ 4.75/unit
Old 6th May 2011, 08:00   #1746
BHPian

For want of a better place to post this, let me post it here, because it is related to usage of air conditioner. Is it possibe to design a circuit, possibly using some device, that will put ON the ceiling fan when main power is cut (and thus AC switches OFF)? This is considering fan is on inverter line and AC is on main power line.

It should be automated, so that sleep is not disturbed. That will be a real boon in places like Noida where power cut happens sometimes twice or more times during the night.

Last edited by Guite : 6th May 2011 at 08:04.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:45   #1747
Senior - BHPian

^^Actually we use both AC and ceiling fan together. Cools the room effectively and usually a thermostat setting of 26 C is sufficient. Very economical too.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:54   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
For want of a better place to post this, let me post it here, because it is related to usage of air conditioner. Is it possibe to design a circuit, possibly using some device, that will put ON the ceiling fan when main power is cut (and thus AC switches OFF)? This is considering fan is on inverter line and AC is on main power line.

It should be automated, so that sleep is not disturbed. That will be a real boon in places like Noida where power cut happens sometimes twice or more times during the night.
The idea is an old one and that is how the line interactive UPS operates. You will need to do some rewiring, as now your fan switch will have three states.
1. Normal On, power or no power
2. Normal Off, power or no power
3. Standby, normally off, switches on when the mains go.

You need a three position switch. The first two positions just connect & disconnect the power to the fan. The third position connects your fan to a relay, which is triggered by the mains power (not UPS). The relay should have contacts in off position. When mains is there the relay is on and the power through the contacts is off. The moment mains goes, the relay goes off and the connectors route the power to the fan from the UPS. Similarly the moment mains power comes on the relay is switched on and the contacts go off.

What you need
1. Three position switch rated for mains voltage and fan current
2. A 220V relay which has power contacts in off position
3. Wiring from the mains to the relay.

The switch and relay can be fitted in a small box which is mounted on the wall next to the original fan switch.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:12   #1749
BHPian

Aroy, while I am thankful for your response, I am a little confused by the description. Any circuit diagram (picture speaks......blah, blah)?
Old 6th May 2011, 18:08   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Aroy, while I am thankful for your response, I am a little confused by the description. Any circuit diagram (picture speaks......blah, blah)?
Sorry none at hand. I will draw one and post it, within a day or two. In the mean time please search for the relay. If not available near your house, you will get it in Bhagirath Palace or near that.

1. Contacts rated at 6-10A.
2. Contacts both on relay closed and on relay open.
3. Actuation voltage = 220V.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:23   #1751
BANNED

window AC for small room with computer..suggestion pl

The need for Ac is for a room which is basically about 90 sq.ft where computer & 14 inch T.V are there. Usage is - almost 8 to 10 hrs a day. Provision for window AC is already there .Looking for Economical option as the need is for about 1 to 1 1/2 year. should work w/o any hiccup or maintenance worries. suggestions welcome. TIA.

I found one
http://ezone.futurebazaar.com/Produc...tioner/2443454

Any opinion on this - Korya KWRO9A02S 0.8 Ton Window AC .Rs 9490.00

http://ezone.futurebazaar.com/Produc...tioner/2441614

Last edited by shapath : 7th May 2011 at 12:37.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:35   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Re: window AC for small room with computer..suggestion pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
The need for Ac is for a room which is basically about 90 sq.ft where computer & 14 inch T.V are there. Usage is - almost 8 to 10 hrs a day. Provision for window AC is already there .Looking for Economical option as the need is for about 1 to 1 1/2 year. should work w/o any hiccup or maintenance worries. suggestions welcome. TIA.

I found one
http://ezone.futurebazaar.com/Produc...tioner/2443454

I liked Hitachi 1.2 Ton..buy price is above my budget. About 15 to 16k is ok.
Here is a good deal for a Panasonic split AC. I think shipping is free.
Buy Panasonic CS/CU-ZC15MKY Split Air Conditioner at Best Price in India
Old 7th May 2011, 12:48   #1753
BANNED

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:52   #1754
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for Voltas as basically compressors are manufactured by themselves. I have 4 ones installed at home & office for last 3-4 yrs no problem at all, my friend is into this business he insisted on voltas. all others manufacture compressors in noida which is very bad.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:59   #1755
Senior - BHPian

@007_Bond; I am not too sure about Voltas. They used old Carrier compressors for decades. Did not even bother to change the reeds design to 50Hz. Where have they licensed the tech from now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks