Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 09:36   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

On the other hand MSM7201A based phones ( G1,i7500) can not run all the applications which are coming on Android 2.1 I have absolutely no idea what is inside HTC tatoo. XDA developer forum can give you 2.1 builds for oldest hardware but the apps still have performance issues and not all 2.1 apps can work.
@amit26. Thanks for the insight. As i mentioned in my post i have very basic knowhow on the phone market.

I just managed to Pickup the specs of HTC tattoo and thought i will put it up here

528MHz Qualcomm MSM7225 processor, 512MB/256MB ROM/RAM, 106 x 55.2 x 14-mm / 113 grams, 2.8-inch touchscreen LCD pushing 240x320 QVGA pixels, 900/2100MHz HSPA/UMTS and quad-band GSM/EDGE, internal GPS, 802.11b/g WiFi, digital compass, accelerometer, and Bluetooth 2.0

I guess it is powerful enough to run Android 2.1
Old 30th March 2010, 10:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
@amit26. Thanks for the insight. As i mentioned in my post i have very basic knowhow on the phone market.

I just managed to Pickup the specs of HTC tattoo and thought i will put it up here

528MHz Qualcomm MSM7225 processor, 512MB/256MB ROM/RAM, 106 x 55.2 x 14-mm / 113 grams, 2.8-inch touchscreen LCD pushing 240x320 QVGA pixels, 900/2100MHz HSPA/UMTS and quad-band GSM/EDGE, internal GPS, 802.11b/g WiFi, digital compass, accelerometer, and Bluetooth 2.0

I guess it is powerful enough to run Android 2.1
Good info on HTC Tattoo Seeing the Spec MSM7225 is similar to what Samsung i5700 has , Now i5700 is quite plane jane in look and feel as compared to higher end androids.

So key things to look for about HTC Tattoo should be to look at little performance intensive aspects.

1. Is it able to support HVGA resolution like other Android phones. If not what is the impact on downloadable applications and how many of them can actually work on Tatto ?

2. How is the browser rendering performance if we compare to an iPhone with similar CPU or other Android 2.1 device with multicore ARM CPUs.

3. what is the Maximum Video Capture resolution and Max framerate possible on this phone.

4. Does it support H.264 like it's higher end cousins.

5. Does it support any application for CS VT ( H.324M) or PS VT/ VOIP

If not then from technical point of view we need to ask , Can a third party company will ever be able to provide any application on this phone which can record high framerate video with higher resolution. Or any other feature from above list.
If not we need to ask why not with an ARM11 core at 528Mhz and 256MB RAM when competing OS can do the same with similar CPU power and RAM.

This may in fact substantiate some of my earlier assertions.

Now too cool off the thread I am not providing any answer to above questions but leaving them for users to find out.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:34   #78
BANNED

You may want to take a bit of your own advice "Engineers in MNC support centers are not best to comment on technology strategy issue" and leave that to the competition & time to tell.

For a common man planning to buy a phone, VFM and upgradability are the keywords not some geek talk.

Unlike home grown products; collaborative work takes time to mature since it involves taking along concerns from all partners. Same is true with android which has to work with competing parties at various levels - chip manufacturers(TI, QCOM, Marvel etc.,), Phone manufacturers(Mot, HTC, Samsung etc.,). No short cuts there. Android has been open just for 2+ yrs now. Give it time and open market to see how it evolves.

Fact that google has been able to get a commercially viable solution on Linux and that too in such a short duration unlike the numerous attempts by companies earlier proves the collaborative effort.

LiMo, Symbian Foundation - Politics, "leader takes it all", conflict of interest etc., have brought down these & other mentioned forums (for now...never loose hope ). Having been thru one or more of these biased forum does not give right to extrapolate and say that ALL forum(including OHA) are politically driven.

Many companies have successfully pushed numerous code/design changes upstream - TI, QCOM, HTC, Mot are few examples. For those who have failed, it may help revisiting causes(code quality, acceptance by the huge linux community as good feature/fix) other than blaming politics.

It is the in-thing now a days for phone manufacturers to show that they promote opensource community (so developers can come contribute?). Will not be surprised if chinese start doing that after koreans.
BTW, have been tracking Open Source - Samsung Mobile (and not http://opensoure.samsung.com as mentioned in post earlier) for sometime now and the friendliness/usefulness of this page beats every other opensource site .
The i7500 patch on this site - Android's 7500 has a bunch of files which are mostly the same google published plus few tweaks on clock setting, modem etc.,(don't blame opensource community if they aren't interested in this device specific change though) but mostly the code already available. No reference of the value add on top of google's code(aka on G1 - am assuming there was some).
Other projects posted on this site are a bunch of code files (the latest having just 4 C files!) but just code or tech talk that one cannot use is of no help and needs to be shoved aside as just that - technical aspects, not helpful for common man.

Am told that hardware capability wise, MSM7225 is very similar to MSM7200 that came in G1 or Samsung I7500, so the above must be add ons from HTC side to differentiate.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 30th March 2010 at 13:35.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
You may want to take a bit of your own advice "Engineers in MNC support centers are not best to comment on technology strategy issue" and leave that to the competition & time to tell.
Well Do you know ? My job is to actually technology strategy but that is irrelevant in this discussion.

Quote:
For a common man planning to buy a phone, VFM and upgradability are the keywords not some geek talk.
And thats why most common man purchased iPhone , BB and Symbian in last 3 years and not a FOSS solution because that costs more then non free. Any way this thread was to discuss Android there is another thread for common man to discuss mobile phones and the geek talk is abscent from there.

Quote:

Many companies have successfully pushed numerous code/design changes upstream - TI, QCOM, HTC, Mot are few examples. For those who have failed, it may help revisiting causes(code quality, acceptance by the huge linux community as good feature/fix) other than blaming politics.
Lets take most fare of the all Kernel.org , Try getting a patch reviewed by the maintainer for ARM arch there ( others are lot better) leave alone accepted if you are not TI or Qcom.
Quote:
It is the in-thing now a days for phone manufacturers to show that they promote opensource community (so developers can come contribute?). Will not be surprised if chinese start doing that after koreans.
BTW, have been tracking Open Source - Samsung Mobile (and not http://opensoure.samsung.com as mentioned in post earlier) for sometime now and the friendliness/usefulness of this page beats every other opensource site .
That site is to fulfill license obligation anyway so has the code dump as it is every company maintains one such site

Why don't you check where exactly some of the things are done

Enlightenment Foundation Libraries
http://www.enlightenment.org/p.php?p=news&l=en
XenARM - Xen Wiki

Quote:
The i7500 patch on this site - Android's 7500 has a bunch of files which are mostly the same google published plus few tweaks on clock setting, modem etc.,(don't blame opensource community if they aren't interested in this device specific change though) but mostly the code already available. No reference of the value add on top of google's code(aka on G1 - am assuming there was some).
If I am not mistaken both i7500 and i5700 are plane vanila Androids with no modification done by Samsung so that is what you should find there.

Quote:
Am told that hardware capability wise, MSM7225 is very similar to MSM7200 that came in G1 or Samsung I7500, so the above must be add ons from HTC side to differentiate.
Vijay
Very similar yes all SoC with ARM11 core are very similar LOL what differentiates is what is added on the SoC.

Last edited by amitk26 : 30th March 2010 at 17:51.
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:23   #80
BHPian

Does anyone here owns a SPICA. Im looking forward to buy it in a week's time.

SPICA as its cheapest Android phone with all features. The things I see missing in the phone are:

1) 3G video calling Secondary camera!! : Does anyone know if we can use primary cam of the same. If there is no secondary camera, will I be able to do video call using wifi like fring allows to do it in some OS.

2) No FM: no issue for me

3) No Camera Flash: Little disappointing by its ok.

4) No Keypad backlight: I guess manageable with some use.

Any other thing im missing from missing list?
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Does anyone here owns a SPICA. Im looking forward to buy it in a week's time.

SPICA as its cheapest Android phone with all features. The things I see missing in the phone are:

1) 3G video calling Secondary camera!! : Does anyone know if we can use primary cam of the same. If there is no secondary camera, will I be able to do video call using wifi like fring allows to do it in some OS.

2) No FM: no issue for me

3) No Camera Flash: Little disappointing by its ok.

4) No Keypad backlight: I guess manageable with some use.

Any other thing im missing from missing list?

The Update for Android 2.1 is still not available (The official One) and the update path is still murky. Battery life compared to my earlier Nokia E series is not that good. The phone cam is no camera replacement (The Pic quality can be used for Facebook at best).

All android apps (especially paid) is still not open to India.

Exchange support (incase you want to use it for official Email) is not there. No idea on if available on 2.1 update
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:

Exchange support (incase you want to use it for official Email) is not there. No idea on if available on 2.1 update
I was playing around with the Motorola Milestone and configuring the push mail for exchange was a breeze.. Works great..
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:39   #83
BHPian

Anyone tried HTC Legend. Its based on Android 2.1
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:40   #84
BHPian

i am really looking forward to HTC legend, does anyone know if it will launch in India, it really looks sleek, oh by the way did anyone check out the new Dell phones announced today, that are really fantastic, check them out here
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:47   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
i am really looking forward to HTC legend, does anyone know if it will launch in India, it really looks sleek, oh by the way did anyone check out the new Dell phones announced today, that are really fantastic, check them out here
Yup Dell phones are really good, but nothing is coming soon, the one which is coming bu 2011 end sleek one is looking better then Iphone 4 G.
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:47   #86
BHPian

Quote:
The Update for Android 2.1 is still not available (The official One) and the update path is still murky. Battery life compared to my earlier Nokia E series is not that good. The phone cam is no camera replacement (The Pic quality can be used for Facebook at best).

All android apps (especially paid) is still not open to India.

Well about the update. Currently SPICA stocks are out. People say as Samsung is busy updating android. Hence next batch will be with Android 2.1. I hope so.

Any idea on SPICA's utilization? Are all the features usable and not just parts of specs?

Have anyone tried all those apps for android like, GPS tracking, remote control, flash, etc?

Please post your detailed experience on SPICA.

Is there any other model which beats SPICA around the same price range which I can buy?
Old 25th April 2010, 16:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a HTC Tattoo. I'm facing a few problems..
1. Wifi stops working after a couple of minutes. Even when it is ON, there's no transfer of data.
2. GPRS settings done but still not able to browse on WAP browser. It does not connect to GPRS/EDGE first of all.(I'm using Vodafone)

Could someone plz help me out with this?
Old 26th April 2010, 11:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
1. Wifi stops working after a couple of minutes. Even when it is ON, there's no transfer of data.
2. GPRS settings done but still not able to browse on WAP browser. It does not connect to GPRS/EDGE first of all.(I'm using Vodafone)

Does your plan have access to GPRS/EDGE?

Try rebooting the phone.. quite often when the data connection goes off, it needs it..
Old 26th April 2010, 17:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I was playing around with the Motorola Milestone and configuring the push mail for exchange was a breeze.. Works great..
How much did you get Milestone for?
By any chance did you have a chance to compare with nexus one? (i know it's not available in India at the moment)
I am thinking of Milestone or N1 for me, so want to know your inputs on how Milestone is?
Does it have Motonav preinstalled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

Was it working with your previous phone? What model was that?
Even if you have GPRS plan activated, sometimes the same plan may not work in all phones. Most ISPs have different plans for low end phones and smart phones. That could be a reason.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

just got a HTC Legend and to my dismay it does not support Business Cards :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks