Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 14:11   #196
BHPian

You are gonna be a happy customer for years. You got it for a good price too. The price for this was increased by 1000 two weeks before..

Put generous amount of vaseline on the battery terminals. Though it wont corrode fast, but prevention is better. "Also check if the battery is getting hot", since your previous battery bulged. Dont trust the technician, if he says charging is okay. It is sometimes not possible to check charging with a dead battery.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:55   #197
BHPian

After going through this posts closely for many days i have narrowed down to APC 1000 va inverter sine wave + Exide Inva Tubular 150 AH. The cost in chennai from a dealer in AnnaNagar has quoted me 7000 for inverter and 12,000 for the battery is this price OK or any one can guide me to a cheaper place in chennai

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 24th September 2010 at 17:59.
Old 24th September 2010, 22:18   #198
BHPian

Why Invatubular, it is semitubular, ...Go for IT500 (cost about 15000/-), or get a 120 ah, but 120 is not recommended for 1000VA inverter.

I think the invatubular has 2 year warranty.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:41   #199
BHPian

Guys
I need to buy batteries for my inverter (Sukam Trusty 1400VA).
It uses twin batteries.
Please suggest some good brands that give nice backup and are reliable (long life).
Thanks

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 8th November 2010 at 13:51.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:26   #200
BHPian

I have 150AH x 2 Tubular batteries (2.5yrs old), which are getting charged for about 24hrs, when I go to native once in a month, and switch on the (1kva) inverter. What would be the effect of this scenario, on the battery backup/life. Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:04   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I have 150AH x 2 Tubular batteries (2.5yrs old), which are getting charged for about 24hrs, when I go to native once in a month, and switch on the (1kva) inverter. What would be the effect of this scenario, on the battery backup/life. Thanks
1. Check the battery charging voltage. It should be within the specified "float" voltage. This can be found from manufacturer's literature/site. In case it is too high, get it adjusted.
2. Check water level before you switch the inverter. If it is low top up.

If the charging is within specifications and the water level correct, the batteries should last long. In fact even in Delhi, the inverter is required only after months of standby, and the batteries last a long time.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:41   #202
BHPian

suggestion/ advice regarding inverter/UPS

Guys, need a suggestion/ advice regarding inverter/UPS

I need a UPS to support 4-5 computers for atleast 90 minutes.
I would like to know what type of UPS I am supposed to buy, also need the wattage/voltage/Amps or what ever is it defined as.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:25   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

SMF to Tubular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
!.

2. Increase in backup depends on load and the type of battery used. You will have to check that manually (switching off the mains and checking the backup). You will get an increase of about 20% with 65 ah and about 50% for 100 ah normally of what you are getting now. But important, check if the charger can handle the upgrade... I doubt it. Cant you use tubular batteries.
Okay, am back here again. The last time I raised the query, I found that about 3 batteries were down and out and I found it a lot more cost effective to replace them.

Yesterday we had another power outage and unbelievably, the batteries lasted just 2 and a half hours. So now, I am back in the market looking for tubular batteries.

One thing I have found that I will need to do to upgrade from 42AH to 100AH is to change the charger, which I have been quoted at Rs. 10,000. Pricey, this charger.

Secondly, lets say I get a back up of 3 hours from my 20 42 AH batteries today. So replacing them to 100AH will give me 50% more - which is roughly 4.5 hours? I thought I might get a lot more actually. I am looking at a back-up of about a minimum of 6-8 hours. Do I look at 150AH batteries then?

Any thoughts?
Old 7th December 2010, 14:10   #204
BHPian

Hi,
i need to buy a new inverter, have not got much idea.
can you let me know which one to go for and from where can i buy one in pune
My budget is not huge, may be nearly 10K or little bit more.
My usage is 2 fans and 3 tubelites for 3 hrs nearly. will be good if can support TV for 2 or 3 hrs.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:21   #205
BHPian

inverter purchase

I am planning to buy an inverter. Confused about all the battery options. I am almost certain to go for an APC 850 VA pure sinewave inverter model. But not sure what battery to select.

In my apartment, all wiring to inverter is done in the work area of the kitchen which is 10x4 size with a 5x5 window on one side (I don't keep it open for long normally). My cooking gas cylinder is also kept in the same place. How safe it would be to keep the inverter and battery in this same area? What type of battery is advisable? Since tubular emits inflammable fumes, is it safe to keep near the gas cylinder? Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 7th December 2010, 17:43   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
I am planning to buy an inverter. Confused about all the battery options. I am almost certain to go for an APC 850 VA pure sinewave inverter model. But not sure what battery to select.

In my apartment, all wiring to inverter is done in the work area of the kitchen which is 10x4 size with a 5x5 window on one side (I don't keep it open for long normally). My cooking gas cylinder is also kept in the same place. How safe it would be to keep the inverter and battery in this same area? What type of battery is advisable? Since tubular emits inflammable fumes, is it safe to keep near the gas cylinder? Please let me know your thoughts.
Go for any Tubular battery, with basic maintenance it should easily last you for 5-7 years. APC 850 pure sine wave is a new product hence I am not sure about its performance.
APC is a good brand, I own a APC UPS since last 3 years, till now I don’t have any issues with it however I during the initial piece was replace during with 2 weeks of purchase . It is advisable to take battery & UPS from a single vendor else you might face problem in case of any issues. I have generally seen the blame game between the inverter fellow and battery walla , it’s always better to go with a package deal from one dealer.
Old 8th December 2010, 07:06   #207
BHPian

Re: inverter purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I need a UPS to support 4-5 computers for atleast 90 minutes.
You will need about 1.5 to 2 kva ups. Better to go for 2 kva (if 5 system, printer etc.). It depends on the cpu and the monitor you use (LCD needs much less wattage). Online is good, but offline is also okay up to 2 kva considering the price and electricity bill. Regarding the battery you will need at least 48 v, ie 4 batteries at 75 ah. If you increase the number of battery the ampere can be reduced. And get fully tubular battery of a good brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
One thing I have found that I will need to do to upgrade from 42AH to 100AH is to change the charger, which I have been quoted at Rs. 10,000. Pricey, this charger.

Secondly, lets say I get a back up of 3 hours from my 20 42 AH batteries today. So replacing them to 100AH will give me 50% more - which is roughly 4.5 hours? I thought I might get a lot more actually. I am looking at a back-up of about a minimum of 6-8 hours. Do I look at 150AH batteries then?

Any thoughts?
As you said before you got the batteris in 2007, they are nearing their end of life. And you are in a tricky situation. it is a bit difficult to get 7 hrs backup from a 7 kva using 150 ah. You better get a 10 kva system. You better check with your dealer regarding the wattage and the number of battery. Only after checking how much watts you use, can they modify your already existing system or get a new one. It is not always possible to just increase the charger and battery ah. Sometimes we need to increase the number of battery too and in turn the ups section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragya View Post
Hi,
i need to buy a new inverter, have not got much idea.
can you let me know which one to go for and from where can i buy one in pune
My budget is not huge, may be nearly 10K or little bit more.
My usage is 2 fans and 3 tubelites for 3 hrs nearly. will be good if can support TV for 2 or 3 hrs.
Get a 500 or 650 va inverter with 100 ah tubular battery from a reputed brand, sukam, microtech, luminous, etc and exide or amco battery. Regarding the availability in pune, check with other pune members, regarding which brand has good service centers near your area.

Quote:
In normal functionality it wont be a problem, but it is dangerous to keep the battery in the kitchen. If possible, remove it to any other location.

Smf battery too have some fumes and 10x4 is not an ideal place.

Last edited by Chipz : 8th December 2010 at 07:09.
Old 8th December 2010, 09:58   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post

In normal functionality it wont be a problem, but it is dangerous to keep the battery in the kitchen. If possible, remove it to any other location.

Smf battery too have some fumes and 10x4 is not an ideal place.
It is not inside kitchen, work area is a separate area just outside of kitchen and it is more like a utility area.

Also any reviews on BICRON tubular batteries? I have never heard of this, hence would like to know on the performance of this. Dealer is offering 3 year warranty on battery

Here's the deal in bangalore - APC BI850SINE 850 VA, 500W, 130 Ah BICRON Tubular battery with free trolley - 15600 + 350 for installation. Is it a good deal?
Old 8th December 2010, 10:01   #209
Senior - BHPian

Re: suggestion/ advice regarding inverter/UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Guys, need a suggestion/ advice regarding inverter/UPS

I need a UPS to support 4-5 computers for at least 90 minutes.
I would like to know what type of UPS I am supposed to buy, also need the wattage/voltage/Amps or what ever is it defined as.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Depends on the type of computers. Assuming that you have a normal desktop with LCD monitor, your consumption should be around 300W, hence 1.5KW or around 2.25KVA load. For 90m with safety factor you require 4.5 to 5KVA-H battery = 5000/12= 800AH. If you have 4 batteries then 200AH, if 8 then 100AH. This would give you a safety factor of 2 overall.

As the battery capacity is calculated for 10H discharge, a 100AH battery would deliver less than 30AH if used up in 1 hour. Please refer to manufacturers charts for the capacity vs time charts, to get an idea of how long your battery will last for a given load.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:06   #210
BHPian

Quote:
It is not inside kitchen, work area is a separate area just outside of kitchen and it is more like a utility area.

Also any reviews on BICRON tubular batteries? I have never heard of this, hence would like to know on the performance of this. Dealer is offering 3 year warranty on battery

Here's the deal in bangalore - APC BI850SINE 850 VA, 500W, 130 Ah BICRON Tubular battery with free trolley - 15600 + 350 for installation. Is it a good deal?
It is not inside kitchen, but there is no ventilation. If you are opening the windows, then a tubular is fine.

Dont know about bicron. Why not buy a branded one. If you are going for bicron, make sure it is not their invaflat (it think it is flat plate, semitubular). Go for fully tubular.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks