Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 17:13   #9616
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

So, Finally apple acknowledged the random shutdown problem in iPhone 6S and has offered battery replacement to the affected Serial numbers from the batch manufactured between September and October 2015.
I noticed this problem in my iPhone 6S from last 2 months but it has happened 2-3 times only.
I checked with service center and my serial number falls in that batch. My battery can be replaced but phone needs to be sent to Bangalore. this complete process will take about 1 week.
I am afraid to give it for replacement as there are reports online that when they repair one thing, something else might get broken.
As this issue is not serious, I am thinking of skipping battery replacement.
Old 21st November 2016, 17:28   #9617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
This screen replacement you're talking about, did you have a tempered glass on and it went beyond that or, is it just the screen that had to face this encounter?
I had on a leather soft case (which hardly mattered) and a tempered glass.

Phone slipped out of my hand twice before and fell on ground. Both times in past also was at airports but, those instances it fell on smooth ground inside airport premises and both times nothing happened

This time it fell in the parking lot of airport where the ground was uneven and due to which glass broke even after having tempered glass installed

Looks like airports are jinxed for me .....
Old 21st November 2016, 17:29   #9618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I checked with service center and my serial number falls in that batch. My battery can be replaced but phone needs to be sent to Bangalore. this complete process will take about 1 week.
I am afraid to give it for replacement as there are reports online that when they repair one thing, something else might get broken.
Go ahead and get it replaced. Also - what reports did you see online about this, sorry?
Old 22nd November 2016, 02:45   #9619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Any one using the I Phone 7 plus here? How is the performance? Planning to upgrade from my humble moto g3. Was planning to buy from the US (currently here in Houston) and there is a big shortage of the matt black 128 gb handsets.
I've been using the 7 Plus for a couple months nearly. Came from a 6S. The higher res screen with the better colour and the camera clarity, particularly in low light were both big improvements to me. One thing I will say as a former 4.7" iPhone owner is that this phone is in absolutely no way one-hand usable. Having said that, I will not go back to the smaller screen in future, unless the higher res. and camera upgrades are available on the smaller phone as well.

My phone has not exhibited any hissing sound, for what it's worth.
Old 22nd November 2016, 16:13   #9620
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

I am facing iPhone 6 sudden shutdown with battery level more than 40% at times.

It goes blank and then shows charger sign telling me battery has drained. It does not give me a warning before going down.

Some online forums say it is my battery charging habit of leaving it on charger beyond full charge.

Anyone else facing this issue?

Is this new random shutdown in precious posts not applicable to iPhone 6?
Old 22nd November 2016, 16:19   #9621
Senior - BHPian

Don't leave your battery overcharged, don't use third party cheap made in china cables to charge your phone, don't drain the battery to 0 repeatedly .. so many possible reasons for any modern smartphone.

The battery generally won't charge further when it is at full charge but still ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
It goes blank and then shows charger sign telling me battery has drained. It does not give me a warning before going down.

Some online forums say it is my battery charging habit of leaving it on charger beyond full charge.
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:50   #9622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I find this extremely ridiculous and infuriating! You should insist they change the piece. The hissing has not reoccurred on my phone again, am keeping an eye open for that.

There seems to be a problem with the iPhone exploding as well.

http://fortune.com/2016/10/21/apple-iphone-7-explodes/

Lets see how all this develops.

Cheers
Thought I would update you and the forum regarding the hissing issue.

Apple finally decided to acknowledge the problem and offered a replacement device.

It involved a lot of going back and forth but eventually it worked out.

However, the hissing noise is also present in the replacement device although it is considerably less. Since it is not picked up while recording videos as prominently as it did in the earlier device, I will live with it.

Cheers.
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:23   #9623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I've been using the 7 Plus for a couple months nearly. Came from a 6S. The higher res screen with the better colour and the camera clarity, particularly in low light were both big improvements to me. One thing I will say as a former 4.7" iPhone owner is that this phone is in absolutely no way one-hand usable. Having said that, I will not go back to the smaller screen in future, unless the higher res. and camera upgrades are available on the smaller phone as well.

My phone has not exhibited any hissing sound, for what it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

Apple finally decided to acknowledge the problem and offered a replacement device.

It involved a lot of going back and forth but eventually it worked out.

However, the hissing noise is also present in the replacement device although it is considerably less. Since it is not picked up while recording videos as prominently as it did in the earlier device, I will live with it.

Cheers.
Many thanks for the feedback, yes I agree with the handling part, the phone is too big for single handed operation.
The iphone 7 plus off late is not readily available even in the US. I tried here in Texas but in vain. I even called the i store back in India and got the same answer- not available. Can't understand the reason, maybe apple is rectifying the niggles.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 22nd November 2016 at 20:25.
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:32   #9624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can try a complete restore of the phone along with a full recharge and discharge cycle. If it happens again, there seems to be a battery issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Don't leave your battery overcharged,
====
The battery generally won't charge further when it is at full charge but still ..
As long as it is OE charger no issues leaving it on, I keep the phones for charging overnight. Have been doing the same since the first iPhone I bought when 3G model came out. Never had an issue with batteries.

With Li ion battery always charge up when the % goes below 80% if you can, also avoid complete discharge on a regular basis. But doing it once a month or so helps recalibrate the battery readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
A new battery is always a welcome thing, if it is done by apple chances are things would go wrong, even if it does they would honour a replacement. Better than risking with a problematic battery. Especially if you plan to hold on to the phone for a longer term
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:44   #9625
BHPian

Got a 7 Plus 128gigs a week back to accompany my 6s and SE. No hissing sound issues noticed so far and battery life has been terribly amazing compared to 6s. One handed use is possible if you have big hands, but it will still be difficult.

The iPhone Thread-20161105_165403-copy.jpg
Old 22nd November 2016, 21:27   #9626
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing iPhone 6 sudden shutdown with battery level more than 40% at times.

Anyone else facing this issue?

There seems to be battery issues and apple are replacing batteries for free. Please do find out the details of the same online. Many are having the similar problem!
Old 23rd November 2016, 06:47   #9627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Got a 7 Plus 128gigs a week back to accompany my 6s and SE. No hissing sound issues noticed so far and battery life has been terribly amazing compared to 6s. One handed use is possible if you have big hands, but it will still be difficult.

Attachment 1577707

Congrats!! Thats quite a collection you have now!! I now regret getting iphone 7 instead of 7 plus. Probably will change / upgrade after an year.
Old 24th November 2016, 07:40   #9628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I now regret getting iphone 7 instead of 7 plus.

Thank you! I get that, felt the same when I got 6s instead of Plus.
Old 24th November 2016, 17:39   #9629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

Cheers.
I have seen almost all videos related to #Hissgate (i'm very thorough in my research ). One thing i noticed is that for people who posted samples of 4K video where hissing was captured as part of the noise, it was tough to differentiate between the hiss and ambient noise.

I tried to see if my own Lumia 920, which seemingly came with High Amplitude Audio Capture (HAAC) mics, recorded anything in a silent environment and found that even when the surroundings were dead silent late in the night, the mic was picking up lot of noise.

So my question is was the hissing sound really distinguishable when you recorded any video in a normal environment like a room or outside ?

It will be really helpful if you could share any sample.

It worries me how i'm trying to find excuses to justify the purchase rather than go with another product.
Old 25th November 2016, 11:54   #9630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
I have seen almost all videos related to #Hissgate (i'm very thorough in my research ). One thing i noticed is that for people who posted samples of 4K video where hissing was captured as part of the noise, it was tough to differentiate between the hiss and ambient noise.

It worries me how i'm trying to find excuses to justify the purchase rather than go with another product.
Hey theMandarin,

It is always good to be informed. Knowing about this issue and how apple was tackling it worldwide is basically what gave me leeway to negotiate a replacement with apple India.

Unfortunately I do not have the video on me anymore. I had shot the video at the apple service center itself (in one of their discussion rooms) and the ticking noise was picked up by the microphone on the back. This video was later forwarded by the service center to the apple India office in Bangalore (?). Later when I was on a call with their Bangalore office, they also acknowledged the issue and eventually offered a replacement.

Other than this hissing issue, it is a fantastic phone. Be rest assured and go ahead with your purchase.

Best,
Enigmatic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks