Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 10:15   #5236
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Checked out the iPhone 5 right now at Alfa, vile parle.

They had the white one. 32GB was about 65k with bill and 2000 less without bill.
64GB is 85k with bill and 83k without.

Dayyum!
Old 4th October 2012, 10:27   #5237
BHPian

I am surprised Looking at some unrealistic prices listed here.

Folks, simple I bought iPhone 5 for 40K from Swiss, unlocked, 32 GB. Period.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-30764_10151444616033135_663208185_n.jpg  

Old 4th October 2012, 10:30   #5238
BHPian

Wifi issues seem to be there after updating to IOS 6. Am getting very low or no signal in places that there was a decent signal before. ALso seems to take more time to connect.

Maps are so so, and I hope Apple gets their act together soon. Google maps was way better in every respect, specially for India. I have heard that Iphone 5 16GB will be officially launched at 50k. Now thats some price and I must say its probably the highest price for a Iphone 5 anywhere in the world.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:30   #5239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Checked out the iPhone 5 right now at Alfa, vile parle.

They had the white one. 32GB was about 65k with bill and 2000 less without bill.
64GB is 85k with bill and 83k without.

Dayyum!
Are you serious? 65k? Although I do not deny the fact that Iphone 5 is a good phone but this is seriously outrageous. I do not think there would be many people who would buy this phone at such prices. Should I expect the prices to come down in some time when Apple officially launches the phone in India?
Old 4th October 2012, 10:38   #5240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Are you serious? 65k? Although I do not deny the fact that Iphone 5 is a good phone but this is seriously outrageous. I do not think there would be many people who would buy this phone at such prices. Should I expect the prices to come down in some time when Apple officially launches the phone in India?
Yes that's the price that was written there. The 16GB model was in the range of 50-55k iirc.

One of my friends bought the 32gb one.

Prices will surely come down when it is officially launched.

Even in the case of BB Bold 4 (9900), when it was launched abroad, it was available here for prices like 70-80k. Later after it was launched officially, prices were reduced to about 35k.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:45   #5241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Wifi issues seem to be there after updating to IOS 6. Am getting very low or no signal in places that there was a decent signal before. ALso seems to take more time to connect.
My phone shows full Wi-Fi signal. However, data transfer does not seem to happen. Within a few days of upgrade to iOS 6, I was prompted to reenter password for my Wi-Fi, which had been entered and saved earlier!

Over the last weekend, I got a good experience of Wi-FI problem; could not do a video chat on Skype, which was an effortless experience earlier. I had to turn off video and stick to audio. Another issue that I've noticed that that a few apps (all games) do not download updates, pop-up keeps coming up saying that the app can not be downloaded :-( I'm not sure if this is related to Wi-Fi problem.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:46   #5242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard

Yes that's the price that was written there. The 16GB model was in the range of 50-55k iirc.

One of my friends bought the 32gb one.

Prices will surely come down when it is officially launched.
Guys I have spoken with the apple guys and the good news is they are no more non-committal about launch. I was promise a launch by this month-end (October). About price, I was told around 45K.
Old 7th October 2012, 14:18   #5243
Senior - BHPian

My brother wants to upgrade from his BlackBerry Bold 9000 and his budget is between 30-40K.

What is the price of iPhone 4S and 5? If iPhone 5 is out of budget then would it be sensible to buy iPhone 4s which is now old model? is it discontinued?

Or should he try android stuff like S3, One X etc?

Requirements are Email, Internet, basic photography, music and other basic things like good call quality etc.

Last edited by bluevolt : 7th October 2012 at 14:19.
Old 7th October 2012, 14:40   #5244
Senior - BHPian

Beat this. Kolkata Grey markets are offering 16GB IP 5 for 62K. The price starts from 85K and then you have to bargain. THis is indeed hilarious. The disadvantages other than price are :
1) No bill

2) No warranty.

Still people are buying them.

Another person bought it on the day of launch or may be right after for 100000 again without bill and warranty.

http://epaper.telegraphindia.com/PUB...7_031&Search=Y

Quoting the The Telegraph
Quote:

"GreyApple for a premium

Apple may be selling the iPhone 5 only in black and white but in Calcutta it is available in 50 shades of grey.
As the latest from the world’s biggest tech company goes about breaking sales records abroad, unlocked versions of the smartphone are being sold without bills across the city,SIM card cut to size by hand, warranty be damned.

The brag value of flaunting the sixth generation iPhone has made it more expensive than bling in the grey market.

A 22-year-old city entrepreneur who does not want to be named bought his iPhone 5 at Fancy Market in Kidderpore for Rs 1 lakh, two days after it became available in US stores on September 21.

“The thrill of being among the first in the world to own the iPhone 5 is incredible,” said the youth.

Holding on till the phone’s launch in India was not an option for him despite the buzz of a pre-Diwali unveiling since Apple has not said a word on the matter.T he California company’s track record does not inspire confidence: the iPhone 4S came to India about a month and a half after the US but the iPhone 4 made desi fans twiddle their thumbs for a year and iPhone 3GS for nine months.

Many others have chosen not to wait, especially with the grey market price of the basic 16GB iPhone 5 dropping since its US entry to Rs 62,000, which is Rs 17,500 more than the official price of the iPhone 4S basic 8GB model.

“We sold eight iPhone 5s in

the first week and the demand seems to be growing with the festival season approaching,” said Nadeem, who owns a store in Kidderpore.
The expansion of the grey market — the iPhone 5 is available not just in Kidderpore and Chandni Chowk but also on Lansdowne Road and in Gariahat — has helped the drop in price.

“Our flat rate is Rs 62,000.

It’s the cheapest you can get in Calcutta,” said the owner of a shop on Sarat Bose Road, which is selling “at least one iPhone 5 daily”.

“The very fact that the iPhones have just a three per cent share of the Indian cell phone market gives it tremendous niche value.Owning one elevates you to an exclusive league,” was how tech entrepreneur Shabbir Akhtar explained the rush for the smartphone when handsets with similar,ifn ot better,features by other companies are available in the city.

Buying the iPhone 5 in the grey market has drawbacks though. If lack of warranty is the biggest hurdle,procuring a nano-SIM card — a SIM card smaller than the regular one that service providers in India do not provide — is the biggest headache even for those who have relatives and friends abroad to get them the iPhone 5 through legal channels.

Here too,the city grey market has come to the impatient enthusiast’s rescue.“We have trained people to cut regular SIM cards to nano-SIM size for Rs 1,200,” said the owner of a Fancy Market store selling the iPhone 5.

Official Apple outlets in the city are, however,not losing sleep.

“More than 100 customers have already registered their names with us for iPhone 5.
Some even offered to pay an advance,“ said the manager of iStore, the Apple retailer on Park Street, which sells about five iPhone 4S models every day .
Soham Sengupta, who uses an iPhone 4S, is among those who might show up at the store when the iPhone 5 officially makes it to India. “Being an iPhone user, it is very tempting to get the new one but I will wait for a few more days,“ said the final-year MBBS student."

Last edited by Pancham : 7th October 2012 at 14:47.
Old 7th October 2012, 14:58   #5245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My brother wants to upgrade from his BlackBerry Bold 9000 and his budget is between 30-40K.

What is the price of iPhone 4S and 5? If iPhone 5 is out of budget then would it be sensible to buy iPhone 4s which is now old model? is it discontinued?

Or should he try android stuff like S3, One X etc?

Requirements are Email, Internet, basic photography, music and other basic things like good call quality etc.
I had the same dilemma.i had promised myself my next phone would be an iphone but once the 5 was launched, and with many sources mentioning difficulties in getting a nano sim in India, i decided against the 5!I stuck on to 4s for some time but i did not want to buy an old model (i know, this is purely psychological!!)

Finally bought the s3 one week back!!All the requirements you have mentioned will be there is all these phones but even if 4s prices come down i doubt they will be lower than s3!!so you have the latest phone model (s3) for lesser price than an older model phone (4s)
Old 8th October 2012, 13:15   #5246
Senior - BHPian

I've a question about the iPhone 4. I want to gift one to my daughter and have found a new sealed box-pack unit on ebay. Have ordered it too.

Coming to the point, what I observed while comparing the features of the 4 with 4s (I use one), I found that Facetime, while it works on both on Wi-Fi, it doesn't work on cellular network on 4 (http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/). Why is it so and upgrading it to 1OS6 would rectify this?

A precise answer would be appreciated.
Old 8th October 2012, 13:32   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
I've a question about the iPhone 4. I want to gift one to my daughter and have found a new sealed box-pack unit on ebay. Have ordered it too.

Coming to the point, what I observed while comparing the features of the 4 with 4s (I use one), I found that Facetime, while it works on both on Wi-Fi, it doesn't work on cellular network on 4 (http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/). Why is it so and upgrading it to 1OS6 would rectify this?

iOS 6 allows FaceTime over 3G and Wi-Fi. iOS 5 does not allow FaceTime over cellular network.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:21   #5248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
iOS 6 allows FaceTime over 3G and Wi-Fi. iOS 5 does not allow FaceTime over cellular network.
I don’t think even with iOS6 upgrade Facetime over 3G will work on an iPhone 4. Not sure where I have read this, but some of the features of iOS6 works only with iPhone 4S/5 or the latest iPad.

Another feature I personally noticed is the Panorama feature for the camera. Its available in 4S after the upgrade, but missing in 4.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:32   #5249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I don’t think even with iOS6 upgrade Facetime over 3G will work on an iPhone 4. Not sure where I have read this, but some of the features of iOS6 works only with iPhone 4S/5 or the latest iPad.

Another feature I personally noticed is the Panorama feature for the camera. Its available in 4S after the upgrade, but missing in 4.
yep, just checked FaceTime on my iP4. i get the message:
The iPhone Thread-image3832168847.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th October 2012 at 15:34.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:53   #5250
AWD
BHPian

Price of 5 now down to 50k. Those keen must check it in flesh before deciding. Its probably the most dis-proportionate phone, lenght has been stretched but waist remains same. My 4S looked much better when compared.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks