Team-BHP - The iPhone Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The iPhone Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/38465-iphone-thread-232.html)

I started using my iPhone 4 since this morning; a while ago I was on a call and suddenly the speakerphone turned on; I investigated and to my utter shock I figured out that the proximity sensor wasn't working and the screen remained ON during the call.

I have had 5 calls since morning and the screen didn't turn off on any of them. This is a serious issue. I googled and found it to be a very common problem.

Has anyone experienced it? Any solution/workaround?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetumanu

Yes, yours truly experienced it. No option but to change the phone.
Am on my 4th iPhone and would have to change this one in a couple of weeks.
Don't think AAPL is making money (from iPhone) from me ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetumanu (Post 2451917)
I started using my iPhone 4 since this morning; a while ago I was on a call and suddenly the speakerphone turned on; I investigated and to my utter shock I figured out that the proximity sensor wasn't working and the screen remained ON during the call.

I have had 5 calls since morning and the screen didn't turn off on any of them. This is a serious issue. I googled and found it to be a very common problem.

did you try cutting out a hole over the sensor?

EDIT : provided you have a screen guard....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetumanu (Post 2451917)
I investigated and to my utter shock I figured out that the proximity sensor wasn't working and the screen remained ON during the call.

This happened with my colleagues iPhone too and later we found out that the screen protective film causing the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2451967)
did you try cutting out a hole over the sensor?

EDIT : provided you have a screen guard....

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildon (Post 2451972)
This happened with my colleagues iPhone too and later we found out that the screen protective film causing the problem.

I did install a screenguard on it last night; could it be the culprit? Where is the sensor located and how do I cut a hole on an applied screenguard?

Of late, I have this strange issue. Sometimes, when I get a call, the answer swipe just hangs. I am unable to slide the screen to answer. I can silence the phone, but cant answer. Is this a common issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetumanu (Post 2452014)
I did install a screenguard on it last night; could it be the culprit? Where is the sensor located and how do I cut a hole on an applied screenguard?

Hold the phone against light and look for sensors on top part of the screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 2452376)
Of late, I have this strange issue. Sometimes, when I get a call, the answer swipe just hangs. I am unable to slide the screen to answer. I can silence the phone, but cant answer. Is this a common issue?

Have you tried restoring the software? And is the phone updated to latest firmware ie if its a legal version/unlockers ignore this reply.

Quote:

I face this issue too at times.
and its pretty frustrating:Frustrati
Mine is a 3GS running on IOS3

Quote:

I have had this issue when I was using the 3g. Try answering after you silence the phone or press hard on the green tab and then swipe, worked for me. If nothing works, try a restore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo

When this happens, I try one of a number of things. Usually one or the other works to free up the swipe button.

1. I click the power switch at the top and then try.

2. If that doesn't work, I press the home button once and then try.

3. I then tap some other part of the screen and then try the swipe again.

Hope this helps.

Cut a hole in the screen protector over proximity sensor, no luck :Frustrati

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetumanu (Post 2452803)
Cut a hole in the screen protector over proximity sensor, no luck :Frustrati

Any other ideas/suggestions?

do a restore then.
if that dont work, do a restore at the vendor :)
although i dont think that is a possibility in your case.

@sheetumanu
Why do you need a screen protector first of all..I own a 3GS with no protector and its now a year old, not a single scratch on it. Its the Gorilla glass with is scratch resistant. Initially, I did use a protector on my iPod Touch, but for some reason, I missed the smoothness of the UI.

Can you remove it and check? If still the same, you can call up Apple.

Yes, Gorilla Glass is very much scratch proof.
After some 6 months of harrasment by my Son, still My iPhone4 doesn't have a single scratch.
One day he just rubbed my phone in the floor. I was like :Frustrati.
But seeing the phone there's not a single scratch. God Saves Me that day.
It's very strong enough to handle the daily chaos and mishandling some what.
Great going iPhone4 and Awaiting iPhone5 :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2452841)
do a restore then.
if that dont work, do a restore at the vendor :)
although i dont think that is a possibility in your case.

I'll try a restore else I'll get it replaced (have spoken to the vendor and he is ready)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre@ms (Post 2452843)
@sheetumanu
Why do you need a screen protector first of all..I own a 3GS with no protector and its now a year old, not a single scratch on it. Its the Gorilla glass with is scratch resistant. Initially, I did use a protector on my iPod Touch, but for some reason, I missed the smoothness of the UI.

I decided to use it primarily to avoid finger prints on the screen and moreover it came free with the phone :)