Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 14:41   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
No. AFAIK only Italy has a law prohibiting locked phones being sold.
And a few other countries. There's a whole list of them actually, including KSA, UAE and I think Australia too.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:03   #2042
BHPian

Here is the list of which countries sell locked and factory unlocked:
Locating iPhone wireless carriers
Old 8th June 2010, 15:03   #2043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
And a few other countries. There's a whole list of them actually, including KSA, UAE and I think Australia too.
I was talking about europe only.

My 3GS is from HK officially unlocked.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:21   #2044
BHPian

i have iphone 3g with 3.1.2..its jb n unlocked..i was having problem with wifi as in it couldnt detect any signal and even if it would,it would dc once connected so i did reset network setting..nw the wifi option has greyed out and its showing as no wifi..whts the solution for this..hw cn i turn the wifi on nw..cn any1 help me out?thanx in advance..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th June 2010 at 15:28. Reason: SMS Language
Old 8th June 2010, 17:20   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My 3GS is from HK officially unlocked.
Meaning you can upgrade the firmware without the phone locking again? Now that's real convenient. I'm guessing all the Heera Panna / Alfa pieces are not factory unlocked?

Are you running 3.1.3 btw, since it's factory unlocked?
Old 8th June 2010, 23:15   #2046
Senior - BHPian

iPhone 4 Unveiled

Exciting new features were unveiled with arguably the most anticipated product this summer.

For one, the design's different. At 9.33mm thick, it is 24% thinner than the iPhone 3GS. It is currently the thinnest smartphone on the planet. It is made of a glass and steel combo; the stainless steel is for strength and the glass is for optical quality and scratch resistance. On the design, there is a front facing camera, LED flash, microSIM, headset and a second mic for noise cancellation.

The display is better than ever. Apple uses what they call Retina display which uses 4 times the pixels in the same given space. There are 326 pixels per inch. The human eye can process not more than 300 pixels per inch. Once you go retina, you can't go back. The new display is all about precision. Existing apps will look better. Retina is better than OLED.

The battery life's better too. The phone promises 40% better battery. 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing. 10 hours video. 40 hours of music. 300 hours standby.

Next is the motion sensing. They've tied the gyro, accelerometer and GPS for 6-axis motion sensing. This makes gaming a way better experience than before. To demonstrate this, Steve played a game of virtual Jenga.

The camera's upped! It now is a 5 MP camera (up from a 3 MP camera). Comes with a backside illuminated sensor, 1.75 unit sized pixels, 5x digital zoom, tap to focus and LED flash. Here's the coolest part though. The camera now records in HD video. Wait, here's the cooler part. The video is EDITABLE on the phone. The iPhone 4 can carry iMovie which can cut, trim, edit, add music, transitions and geolocation information to video on the go. The application can be bought for $4.99.

The next part is the OS. The new OS will be called iOS4. A quick summary of its features: Multitasking, folders, Retina Display integration, Unified inbox and threading in Mail, enhanced camera and photo apps, deeper enterprise support, new features everywhere.

They've added both Google and Yahoo! as search engines as well as Bing!. Google will however, remain the default search engine.

iBooks is also coming to the iPhone. iBooks lets you buy books from the iBookstore, it will connect wirelessly to the iPhone, iPad and iPod, you can download the same book to all your devices at no extra charge, it automatically syncs place, bookmarks and notes. iBookstore connects to both the App store and iTunes store.

A new feature is iAds. This is primarily to earn developers money. iAds keeps you in your aps and is built into Apple iOS4. Apple sells and hosts the ads. 60% of revenues go to the developers. Payment via iTunes Connect. Some of the brands that are using iAds are Nissan, Citi, AT&T, GE, Target and Best Buy. Nissan will be giving away a car through their ad. iAds will be on all iOS devices on July 1st. $60 million has already been committed from advertisers.

Source : Tech2.com India > India's Technology Guide > News, Reviews, Videos, Downloads on Tech Products
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_228542_front_sides.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_228492_bandw.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_228552_multitask.jpg  

Old 9th June 2010, 00:43   #2047
BHPian

Multitasking was badly needed in iphone. HD vedio is an value added to the existing.
Old 9th June 2010, 03:19   #2048
BHPian

Link to Stevie's Keynote (BitTorrent File) (~1.3GB)

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/561...35.TPB.torrent

The iPhone got upgrades in one thing is was lacking. Looks. And of course there are features, video calling and the whole shebang. But I'm seriously in love with its looks now.
Old 9th June 2010, 07:39   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Hope they atleast price it in India in a more saner way than they did with the later models.

But totally love the new model though.
Old 9th June 2010, 07:45   #2050
BHPian

Hi fz_rider, Any Idea when it is coming to market ? Looking forward to see it in India soon !!! Impressive upgrade from Apple.
Old 9th June 2010, 08:04   #2051
BHPian

Love the new features,but as usual after the initial hoopla settles down the real value additions will come to the fore.
Though face time, for video calls sounds and looks good (endgadget has a video review), it can only be made between two Iphones 4G only and that too on wifi only, so if any body wants to buy/upgrade based on one or other feature they may be disappointed, and may well await the launch (official) in India which may not even be before 2011.
The display (retina display) looks stunning and build quality and looks are definitely good as is multitasking, HD video and 5 MP camera with autofocus and LED flash, photoes should be great looking.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:19   #2052
BHPian

Most of the features they added have been present in other phones for a long time now. Also, its a joke that Video calling is available only through Wifi and that too only from Iphone 4 to Iphone 4.
Also, turns out that the pictures they used to show the display was actually atleast twice more than the actual resolution of the Iphone 4. Apple's dishonest marketing to the fore once again.
Digital Society Blog Archive Apple faking 489 to 815 PPI on iPhone 4 ads

The new look is very good though and it is the slimmest smartphone on the market , which is a great thing.
I still think the Samsung Galaxy S beats this one by some margin.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:36   #2053
Senior - BHPian

I'm not downplaying the importance of this thing, it is definitely a monumental step ahead for Apple. But frankly, the only thing I find of any importance is the HD video recording at 720p. Front facing camera, they talk about it like it's being pioneered by them now.

But overall, very impressive package. Not a fan of the looks, but a super neat and clean package no doubt. I guess the display is stellar, but more on that one only after actually using it in person.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:56   #2054
Senior - BHPian

I am also in love with the looks. Toughened glass at the front and back with a high quality stainless steel seam and only 9.3 mm thick, cant even imagine how this thing would feel when held in hand.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:27   #2055
BHPian

I too love the looks and definitely my next upgrade would be the Iphone 4. Will this iphone 4 be available as factory unlocked anywhere now?

Most Viewed