Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2024, 19:52   #16486
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Looks like NPCI/UPI requires iOS 17 minimum for all fresh installation of payment apps (existing installs will continue to work fine, for now, on older iOS versions) and iam unable to use any payment app on my iphone which runs on iOS < 17.

Any one knows any workarounds to this problem?
Old 8th September 2024, 20:25   #16487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Any one knows any workarounds to this problem?
Try UPI via PhonePe. I have a 7+ that is stuck on iOS 15 since it can’t be updated any further. Google Pay and Paytm didn’t work on it, but somehow PhonePe did.
Old 9th September 2024, 15:34   #16488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Try UPI via PhonePe. I have a 7+ that is stuck on iOS 15 since it can’t be updated any further. Google Pay and Paytm didn’t work on it, but somehow PhonePe did.
Nope doesn't work. Tried phonepe too and it also asks for version 17 to add a bank for UPI. What a bummer for iphones, considering NPCI has no problem allowing the zillion years old Android 6 to work fine!!

Ahem ....there has to be other ethical ways to increase iphones sales in india.

Last edited by WindRide : 9th September 2024 at 15:36.
Old 9th September 2024, 16:26   #16489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Nope doesn't work. Tried phonepe too and it also asks for version 17 to add a bank for UPI. What a bummer for iphones, considering NPCI has no problem allowing the zillion years old Android 6 to work fine!!

Ahem ....there has to be other ethical ways to increase iphones sales in india.
PayTM & Gpay don't work but I use PhonePe & BHIM on my 6S daily. PhonePe was a previous install, but I installed BHIM after PayTM stopped working on iOS 15.8.3. BHIM works perfectly fine and for basic UPI payments, it has a non-cluttered interface devoid of insurance, gold coins, IPO etc. which I like.
Old 10th September 2024, 02:46   #16490
BHPian

Apple launched a host of products today.

iPhone 16 Pro price in India starts at ₹ 1,19,900 and the iPhone 16 Pro Max starts at ₹ 1,44,900.

iPhone 16 starts at ₹ 79,900 and the iPhone 16 Plus starts at ₹ 89,900.

The biggest update is of course the 48MP cameras and the camera control function. Also, for the first time they have given same Optical zoom options for both the Pro models. I hope resident expert mobike008 changes his mind and purchases this too.

The iPhone Thread-img_9419.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9420.jpeg
Loved the Desert Titanium colour.

The iPhone Thread-img_9421.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9422.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9423.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9424.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9425.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9412.jpeg
Many vibrant colour options for the iPhone 16. Somehow the camera lenses look too big and weird. Always loved the iPhone X design, but these lenses are bigger, hence the look.

The iPhone Thread-img_9413.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9417.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9414.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9416.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9415.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9418.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9409.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9410.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9411.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9407.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_9408.jpeg
Source

Read more on Apple website - Link

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 10th September 2024 at 03:00.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 12:19   #16491
BHPian

Only ₹15k price reduction for the Pros. :/

Was hoping for a bigger drop... It's still a ₹30-40k premium over US.
Rajesh V is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 23:21   #16492
BHPian

Apple seems to have hiked the prices of the iPhone Pro’s in UAE (Dubai). Not sure if this is across the range, but when I just happened to check their official website for the price of 16 Pro, it is now retailing at 4299 aed v/s 4199 aed for the 128 GB variant.

Ofcourse, my last purchase was back in 2021; i.e. the 12 Pro. But than Apple never really hikes it’s prices I guess.

On the contrary, it has dropped the prices of the Pros in India by ~ 15k INR this time.

Anyone has recently picked up (15 Pro) or intents to get the 16 Pro from UAE? Has anything changed for the Dubai iPhones off late?
Old 13th September 2024, 07:59   #16493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope resident expert mobike008 changes his mind and purchases this too
Nice Update on the launch. I have been too busy at work/travel so I could not even see the launch event nor MB's video both of which I normally keep track.

But, I have been following the launch, features etc. This time around nothing seems exciting so decided to skip it. Who knows I may change my mind in a few months...lol!

Apple shares are going to drop when Tim Cook finds out that I am not buying his lackluster 16.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 09:10   #16494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apple launched a host of products today.
This probably was the most lackluster Apple/iPhone event in recent times. Nothing really new (except for a camera button), and some 'brand new AI features' which are not available yet.

But there were so many first times...
  • For the first time you have an iPhone with 6.9” screen.
  • For the first time you have iPhone with thinnest borders ever on any Apple product.
  • For the first time you have a dedicated camera button on an iPhone.
  • For the first time you have USB-C on regular Airpods (4) and Airpods Max. More importantly, 3 brand new colors for the latter.
  • And one more thing – you have the all-new Watch Ultra 2 in black color!
The Apple Watch 10 looks like a good physical update (with bigger screen estate). And the only other notable part was the introduction of new health features on the Airpods Pro 2 – hearing protection, hearing aid feature etc, and ANC option for the Airpods 4.
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 11:32   #16495
BHPian

Anyone in the market to purchase 15 Pro / 15 Pro Max; now would be the best time, since retailers would be intent on clearing existing inventory as both phones have been officially discontinued from the lineup. Expect mouthwatering offers close to Diwali.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 13:17   #16496
BHPian

I normally defend Apple’s decisions but this iPhone and watch update was horrible to say the least.

Forget the minor improvements, they’ve taken a step a back in certain design aspects. The Watch Series 10 now has a 1mm larger screen but it also gets thicker bezels (noticeably so). Screen brightness (when viewed head on) still hasn’t increased, no 120hz refresh rate, and to top it off they removed the gloss silver finish altogether.

iPhone 16 Pros are an equal letdown, except the new 48mp Ultrawide lens and 120 FPS 4k recording, very minor changes all around. 0.2” bigger screen and slightly thinner bezels but thickness remains the same at a rather fat 8.25mm. 7.65mm is already at the edge of what feels acceptable in hand (13 pro max), yet they keep making iPhones thicker every year.

Screen brightness is still stuck at 1000 nits (typical, non HDR), in 3 years a trillion dollar company can’t source a brighter display? (I know autobrightness takes it higher but it only works in direct sunlight, eliminating 99% of use cases) and even then it overheats and force dims to 60-70%. If you’re going to give 2000 nits ability, why stop users from engaging it manually?

Camera button ruins the side aesthetic by adding more buttons (could Jobs have ever imagined Apple actually increasing buttons on an iPhone), without adding any new features, just different ways to control the same features.

Personal preference, but I loved the beautiful stainless steel, which for over a year now has been replaced by ugly matte titanium. One can claim it’s for weight reduction, but then at least give polished gloss titanium options (like they do in Watch Series 10) let people decide what they want.

Last edited by AJ56 : 13th September 2024 at 13:26.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 13:42   #16497
Senior - BHPian

The Apple iPhone 16 Pro 128 GB is for Rs. 1,19,900 which is the same price of my 12 Pro bought in 2020. For me this will be a big jump from the 12 Pro to the 16 Pro. Looking forward to it.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 13:52   #16498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

Camera button ruins the side aesthetic by adding more buttons (could Jobs have ever imagined Apple actually increasing buttons on an iPhone), without adding any new features, just different ways to control the same features.
Also the cases will have to provide a big cut out for this button since this is a capacitive one with swipe option.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 20:21   #16499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I normally defend Apple’s decisions but this iPhone and watch update was horrible to say the least.
1. Agree on Apple watch 10 being a dissapointing launch. Anyways, all features like Sleep Apnea are also trickling down to older version - Apple watch 9.
2. I think the said improvements on camera are still ok. I don't mind if these small increase in thickness in mm, if they do not change the weight of phone and provide some additional features like autofocus coming on macro camera too this year.
3. I believe this has to be due to LED screen burnout due to excessive brightness & impact on battery life. Infact, with all other flagship devices like the ones from Samsung or Google, the manual slider does not go all the way upto the nits advertised for the screen.
4. Given the way Apple operates, I think this capacitive button will be customised to provide additional features in future. This capacitive button already reminds me of touch id capacitive sensor on my earlier iphone7. I hope Apple brings back the touch id again via this capacitive button (hardware is already there).
5. looks are subjective, but these iphones do not seem any thing radical from earlier ones.
Old 13th September 2024, 20:37   #16500
BHPian

For an Android guy, which would be a better iPhone to get as a second mobile. This may need to be used for testing iOS apps as well. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks