Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 21:48   #16411
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello guys, I have a 22 month old iphone 13 that suddenly switched off on its own when put for charge and no methods of those support page tutorials is helping to turn it back on. Has anyone faced such an issue? I am guessing its something to do with the motherboard as it isnt even booting up - please confirm or help me out with options for repair as the price quoted at Apple service centers seems unreasonable.

Has anyone tried doorstep inspection services with fixxo/helloRE? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th June 2024 at 21:54.
Old 25th June 2024, 22:55   #16412
Distinguished - BHPian

I have 2 observations with my iPhone 12 which is unlike my experience with other phones.

1. Every time I turn on and turn off flight mode, my network is not restored on its own. I have had to restart my phone every single time. It has been a consistent behavior at different airports across cities and countries. I even tried waiting till I got out of airport area but the network never comes back on its own.

2. At times, when I turn off and then turn on the Wi-fi, the phone doesn't auto-connect to the Wi-fi network which is already saved. Again, I have to go to the list of available networks and select the one. Only happens at times.

While none of the above two are real issues, I am really curious about the first one as I never encountered it with other iPhones and Androids that we have owned till date. Has anyone else experienced such behavior?
Old 25th June 2024, 23:58   #16413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
1. Every time I turn on and turn off flight mode, my network is not restored on its own.
Haven’t faced this and it really is strange. Found an even weirder answer online for the same.

Also, you could Reset Network Settings.
Quote:
2. At times, when I turn off and then turn on the Wi-fi, the phone doesn't auto-connect to the Wi-fi network which is already saved.
Ask to Join Networks might be on in your WiFi settings.
Old 26th June 2024, 00:07   #16414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Haven’t faced this and it really is strange. Found an even weirder answer online for the same.

Also, you could Reset Network Settings.

Ask to Join Networks might be on in your WiFi settings.
Thanks for your efforts but both of these don't apply to me. I had already verified these long ago.
Old 26th June 2024, 00:21   #16415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Thanks for your efforts but both of these don't apply to me. I had already verified these long ago.
Ahh alright. I am 99% sure that you must have verified the steps mentioned in the below videos too but still sharing:

ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 14:58   #16416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
Using iPhone 14 since April 9 2023, looks like with the recent iOS update the battery drain is quite noticeable.

It has dropped to 92% with 298 cycles. Is this normal? Anyone else facing similar issue?
Today I checked and it has dropped to 90% with 308 cycles!

The iPhone Thread-image.jpeg

I have never charged the phone to 100%. Generally plug into the charger at 30% and unplug anywhere between 80-90%.

I am using a totem brand graphene case with the phone. Is that a culprit by any chance? The charger and cable is Apple Original too.

Last edited by Oppanna : 12th July 2024 at 15:21.
Oppanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 15:07   #16417
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

From last one month, My iPhone 12 Pro has started acting up. With lag in swipes and hanging/freezing in between, slow response to apps. Also at times, some apps are opening and closing without even touching the screen, although very rarely.

Anyone else in the same boat ? Is this what apple does deliberately as they have previously done in the past ?

I’m not looking for a change as of now

Last edited by NomadSK : 12th July 2024 at 15:12.
Old 13th July 2024, 00:29   #16418
Distinguished - BHPian

Alright folks, I have an update which is not so good.

For the first time ever in my life, I have started using an Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S24+) which is given to me by my company.

I have been using this for over a month and I'm still not able to wrap my head around how to use the phone.

Gosh, simple functions are an absolute challenge to use, For e.g :

1. Closing Open Windows
2. Clearing chat on WhatsApp
3. Moving from Camera to Video
4. Adding new contacts

The list goes on...

My iPhone 15 Promax is still my go to phone and Sammy is being used only for Official emails, Teams meeting etc.

We just returned from an awesome roadtrip and my better half was insisting not to use the Samsung to click pictures as it's so unimpressive compared to the iPhone.

I was using the Samsung as back-up when my iPhone would die from a long day being outdoors.

Iphone 15 Promax vs. Samsung Galaxy S24+- The iPhone feels solid, premium and great to hold as well. No Comparison

The iPhone Thread-img_8881.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_0740.jpg

The iPhone Thread-fullsizerender.jpg

Here is an example of 2 pics from each phone. Click to see full resolution.

This is the "Most Photographed" lake in the world. Can anyone guess which one is it?

Samsung Galaxy S24+ pics

The iPhone Thread-0255bcd45ceb46aead9f1a227b59490a.jpg

The iPhone Thread-0255bcd45ceb46aead9f1a227b59490a.jpeg

Iphone 14 Promax Pics (My iPhone 15 Promax died so these pics are from my wife's phone)

This was exactly how the color of lake looked to a naked eye.

The iPhone Thread-img_0179.jpg

The iPhone Thread-38d54ff824f742ba84b5c097be95802d.jpg

P.S : In other news, I sold my iPhone 14 Promax that I had for 1 year for $800. Good resale for a phone after 12 months.

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th July 2024 at 00:33.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 06:41   #16419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Alright folks, I have an update which is not so good.

For the first time ever in my life, I have started using an Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S24+) which is given to me by my company.

I somehow liked the IPhone 14 pic over the S24+ pic (I own an S24 myself).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th July 2024 at 10:14. Reason: Trimmed quote.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 11:32   #16420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I received a message from Tim Cook your commission from iPhone sales and promotions which you were doing on this thread and otherwise stands cancelled! Even though you have extolled the virtues of the iPhone here, it’s simply because of a Samsung phone usage

On a serious note, Samsung always over-saturates pictures and videos. I believe there is a setting somewhere (display?) which makes the screen “natural”. Do check it out Mobike008.

Exceedingly good value on your old iPhone.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 13th July 2024 at 11:37.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 21:42   #16421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I somehow liked the IPhone 14 pic over the S24+ pic (I own an S24 myself).
Yup. The difference is stark. Samsung's way of processing is quite different from that of the iPhone. I have now both these phones and I have tested them in multiple scenarios- Daylight, Colored Envinroment, Dark areas etc. Each and every time the iPhone picture looks " natural".

I mean, exactly how the naked eye sees the thing that you are shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I received a message from Tim Cook your commission from iPhone sales and promotions which you were doing on this thread and otherwise stands cancelled! Even though you have extolled the virtues of the iPhone here, it’s simply because of a Samsung phone usage
Shhhhh. This is a one-time post and hoping it goes under the radar of Tim Cook and his cohorts. ....as I don't want to lose the apple promotion revenue..lol

Jokes aside, it's actually a joke a high end phone like S24+ is so unimpressive.

Now Samsung has no upper hand as their flagships are more expensive than an iPhone Flagship.

Quote:
On a serious note, Samsung always over-saturates pictures and videos. I believe there is a setting somewhere (display?) which makes the screen “natural”. Do check it out Mobike008.
I played around quite a lot with settings. I didn't find anything like this.

You typically have similar settings in camera/display

Natural/Vivid/Vivid Warm/Vivid Cool

Quote:
Exceedingly good value on your old iPhone.

Cheers
Thanks. Buyer was floored when he saw the phone because I like to polish and keep the phone full "chamko".
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 23:46   #16422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gosh, simple functions are an absolute challenge to use, For e.g :

1. Closing Open Windows
2. Clearing chat on WhatsApp
3. Moving from Camera to Video
4. Adding new contacts

The list goes on...
I guess it is different for each person. Keeping in mind that this is the iPhone thread, I will limit my replies to above tasks. I am sure you would have already figured these out, but still for reference:

1. Closing open windows: You drag up from the bottom of the screen to see all open tasks. Click close all. One can put a shortcut on the homescreen to free up memory periodically.
2. Clearing chat on WhatsApp: I guess it means deleting history of a chat of a particular contact/group. It is three dots on the right top, More and Clear chat.
3. Moving from Camera to Video: Slide left or right to go to other functions of the camera, as can be seen at the bottom of camera.
4. Adding new contacts: iPhone has Phone seperate from Contacts. Android has this streamlined, which is why you can see contacts the minute you start typing familiar numbers in Phone app, unlike iPhones. For adding new contact, you type in the number, and click + on top right to add new.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 23:52   #16423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I guess it is different for each person. Keeping in mind that this is the iPhone thread, I will limit my replies to above tasks. I am sure you would have already figured these out, but still for reference:

1. Closing open windows: You drag up from the bottom of the screen to see all open tasks. Click close all. One can put a shortcut on the homescreen to free up memory periodically.
2. Clearing chat on WhatsApp: I guess it means deleting history of a chat of a particular contact/group. It is three dots on the right top, More and Clear chat.
3. Moving from Camera to Video: Slide left or right to go to other functions of the camera, as can be seen at the bottom of camera.
4. Adding new contacts: iPhone has Phone seperate from Contacts. Android has this streamlined, which is why you can see contacts the minute you start typing familiar numbers in Phone app, unlike iPhones. For adding new contact, you type in the number, and click + on top right to add new.
Thanks. I figured them out. What I meant is there is an extra step or 2 for every action in Android.

In an iPhone :

1. Just swipe up and up, up and you can keep closing windows in a jiffy.

2. Clear chat in WhatsApp- From the Home Screen of chat groups, I just select the particular group and clear chat.

3. Camer to Video is seamless- I just hold and/or swipe right- When I have music playing in car, I use this function as when I am taking a video, the music playing in car is also captured as background. If I just use video function, it does not (Probably a CarPlay limitation).

3. Multiple ways to add a contact and it's clean and uncluttered unlike Android.

I reckon it's also the time spent with an OS. I have been on Blackberry and iPhone since iPhone 6 till date.

Never used Android and this is first time ever for me in my entire life. I am sure it has its merits but, for me iPhone is much simple, clean, glossy UI that works like a charm.

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th July 2024 at 23:56.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 12:47   #16424
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need some guidance on a protective iPhone 15 case. I have always used Otterbox and Spigen.
The existing Spigen case i have is of really poor quality, the coating seems to be peeling off, this is the tough armour model and i have used this across few earlier iphones and the case is actually quite protective, so except for this peeling off issue i would have ideally not changed the case.

I keep looking at UAG cases, but they seem expensive at 4-5k and i actually dont know if they offer similar levels of protection as the Spigen tough armour case ( this case actually has a rubberized cushion covering almost the entire case ). Or are there any equally good options?
Old 15th July 2024, 12:51   #16425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
Today I checked and it has dropped to 90% with 308 cycles!

Attachment 2626468

I have never charged the phone to 100%. Generally plug into the charger at 30% and unplug anywhere between 80-90%.

I am using a totem brand graphene case with the phone. Is that a culprit by any chance? The charger and cable is Apple Original too.
You’re following the right charging routine, just manage the heat effectively. What kills lithium cells prematurely is the heat during charging. Either charge in a chilled room with doors closed or simply stick an ice pack under the MagSafe puck when charging (what I do).

Mine took 802 cycles to hit 90% (2021 13 Pro Max). Currently I’m at 80% with nearly 1200 cycles.
AJ56 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks