Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2008, 18:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Anyone help me with the FW update to Version 1.00F please ?
Old 8th April 2008, 00:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Anyone help me with the FW update to Version 1.00F please ?
Something like this - Re: A620 1.00f firmware?: Canon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And these pages has more - FAQ - CHDK Wiki
Official Canon firmware updates - CHDK Wiki

P.S. Never tried any of this myself.
Old 30th April 2008, 22:43   #18
BANNED

Anyone updated the firmware(CHDK) ?
Old 1st May 2008, 08:09   #19
Team-BHP Support

Mithun,

One of my friends has done it and he says it is quite cool.

I have not yet had the time to do it myself as yet!!

cya
R
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:37   #20
BHPian

Yeah, cool is the word. Its cool.
And it does'nt "update" (or alter) your firmware permanently. It loads from the sd card everytime you start-up your camera, and if you do not wish to use it, simply delete it from the sd card. It has only 2 files (total size appx 250Kb) to be copied on the sd card..no installation is reqd.
There's no harm in trying it so go and take the plunge.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

How do we know if a particular model has feature to store in RAW format?
For eg: I own a IXY 70 Canon camera. Does it have that capability? I tried to google but could not find good info. Any help?
Old 20th August 2008, 15:26   #22
BANNED

mjothi, please see the user manual of the Canon IXUS 70. Have you installed the Canon Utilities on your PC? You should have got the installation disc with the camera. I can see RAW Image Task under options when I run the utility - must admit I haven't graduated to finding out how to shoot RAW or even if my camera can do it.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:27   #23
BHPian

CHDK - CHDK Wiki is the place to check for updates to the chdk firmware.
Old 24th August 2008, 00:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

I've been playing around with CHDK firmware hack on my Canon S5 IS, for some time now. Here are my observations-

Positives-
1. Its true that RAW is enabled. Also, there are a lot of features, lot more than one would need.
2. Its not a firmware replacement, just an add-on program on the memory card, which can be deleted in case of any warranty problems.

Negatives-
1. When RAW is enabled, camera becomes slow- real slow. The saving time of each picture is increased by a huge margin!
2. There are concerns that the hack may tweak the firmware beyond the limits. For eg: shutter speed is increased from 15secs to 64secs (for S5IS). So, i haven't tried most of the settings in it except RAW.

3. Am not too satisfied with the quality of RAW files. (But, i haven't dealt with RAW files before. So, not sure if its a case of over-expectations)
4. Two weeks back, i went on a trip to try some pics, and then the CHDK firmware showed error message. And i had to format the card! All thoughts of shooting with RAW met with a sad fate.

5. The files are .CRW which has to converted into .DNG using another program before it can be used in photoshop. (Is it this way for other cams as well?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
mjothi, please see the user manual of the Canon IXUS 70. Have you installed the Canon Utilities on your PC? You should have got the installation disc with the camera. I can see RAW Image Task under options when I run the utility - must admit I haven't graduated to finding out how to shoot RAW or even if my camera can do it.
I think canon supplies same CD for several of its cams. Even my disc came with EOS utilities, however that is for their DSLRs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
How do we know if a particular model has feature to store in RAW format?
For eg: I own a IXY 70 Canon camera. Does it have that capability? I tried to google but could not find good info. Any help?
My knowledge is limited, but AFAIK, Canon has given RAW format only to its DSLR range.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th August 2008 at 00:40.
Old 24th August 2008, 08:10   #25
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
3. Am not too satisfied with the quality of RAW files. (But, i haven't dealt with RAW files before. So, not sure if its a case of over-expectations)

5. The files are .CRW which has to converted into .DNG using another program before it can be used in photoshop. (Is it this way for other cams as well?)
RAW will give you the best results. always.
but you cant expect the unprocessed raw pic to look good. each RAW shot will have to be postprocessed to bring out the true potential of the pic.

.CRW can be handled directly by PS3, you just need to download the camera raw plugin from the photoshop website and install it on your PC by following the instructions.

Old 24th August 2008, 09:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/829099-post2233.html

I tried out the CHDK thing in my S3 a while ago before I gave it away. Its no biggie, you can boot from firmware *IF* you like. Otherwise when you switch off and switch on your back tot he regular mode so there's no question of reformatting/re loading firmware etc.

Never got around to fully exploring the options though :(
Old 24th August 2008, 16:48   #27
Team-BHP Support

rippergeo,

Thats what i read here in team-bhp. However, the noise levels seem to be increasing higher than expected when used in photoshop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
.CRW can be handled directly by PS3, you just need to download the camera raw plugin from the photoshop website and install it on your PC by following the instructions.
That, i didnt know! Let me see how its done.
Old 10th October 2008, 18:20   #28
BHPian

CHDK at work in 720IS

I have been experimenting this with my A720IS. The CHDK add on will extend the camera capabilities beyond its OEM set limits.
The CHDK(Canon Hacker's Development Kit) is ever evolving .Used patiently and properly , it can make you do amazing things with your cam. Its some thing like you are adding free flow,conical air filter,iridium spark plugs, upsizing tyres,stiffening suspension,pete's box --- to obtain the best out of your car.
Only thing here is , all the mods for your canon are free of cost and free for any development.
Even with all hardware mods, the way you drive and handle the car brings the best out of it while doing no harm to it.
Same is the case with CHDK; it can make your cam do all that it can without any damage provided you do handle it rationally.
Following are the links to various CHDK articles:
1.New capabilites which CHDK can add to each camera of canon:
CameraFeatures - CHDK Wiki

2.The CHDK FAQ
FAQ - CHDK Wiki

Exposure bracketing,focus bracketing, extreme shutter speed(varies depending on model),aperture overriding,Depth of field calculator, battery display(percent charge left or voltage display also), live histogram are some of the functionalities which CHDK can provide. And RAW support is always there.

Amazing hack it is.

Edit: true that shooting in RAW takes quite some time to record the image( to the card). But may be the card am using is slow or the P&S processors are too less capable for RAW shooting.

Last edited by deetee : 10th October 2008 at 18:24.
Old 11th October 2008, 09:59   #29
BHPian

Yepp...saving a RAW file takes much longer due to its size (appx 9MB). It is not a drawback of CHDK but a limitation due to slow memory card speeds.
And processing a RAW file needs lots of patience and above all experience, which comes after lots of practice. And practice needs a lot of patience.
I am really sold on this firmware hack. It can do so many things that I never imagined could be possible with a low-end consumer digicam. Text file reader is a decent add-on. I have tried exposure and focus bracketting with awesome results.
Battery voltage display is the most wonderful and most needed feature, before that, I would never know when the low battery Red indicator started flashing all of a sudden.
Old 13th October 2008, 02:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

i just found out today that instead of converting the resultant crw files to dng and stuff, the easiest way to view them on the computer is to download the latest version of picasa.. its free and the interface is awesome. try it to view raw files

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks