Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 16:25   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Intel dot station? Computer at 6,000 bucks!

Got this in a mass mailer. The box looks like a branded computer at 6 grand! I did a google on dot station, and the results show that Intel indeed ventured into consumer electronics.

Is this any good? Some departments of my office use the computer for no more than our CMS and email. This would be a good option for staff members who require minimal computer juice.

Any ownership experiences with this?

Quote:
I-Comp offers the finest brand i.e., Intel. Brand new. It is not just Intel inside as it is popularly known, but it is Intel on all the sides, in fact the machine is made by Intel and the whole machine carries Intel name and Intel original packing.

Intel Dot Station is a low cost, all-in-one, compact, easy to install and use, PC (Personal Computer). Its design allows a minimum use of space. This is all in one compact, envious, cute design with colour monitor integrated and the entire details are given below in the colour catalogue attached.

However brief details are given below for your ready reference:-

Intel dot station

- P-III Intel Processor.
- 810 E motherboard.
- 256 MB SD RAM.
- 10 GB HDD expandable to 80 GB and above.
- 10/100 Lan card for connecting to broadband, Internet connectivity etc.
- 56 Kbps fax modem voice V 90.
- Creative Sound card.
- Keyboard With TouchpadMouse
- 2 stereo JBL Speaker.
- 3 USB ports.
- 14" colour monitor, 0.28 DP, 1024 x 768 integrated.
- All manuals, cables, original Intel sealed box packing.

Price - Rs.6,000/- (Free Stylish Intel telephone)
Old 16th February 2008, 16:31   #2
BHPian

if this comp can help us work with just MS office like excel, word then this could be the thing i could be looking at.

there are many ways of using it, that i can think of.

btw rushabh, can u pls forward the mail to me if u dont mind.
Old 16th February 2008, 17:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

MS Office would be kludgy on the PIII, but it would definitely work as long as you work with small files, say less than 1MB in Word or PP - this thing has only 256MB RAM.

Unless one is hung up on MS software, Open Office would be far better on this box. We have a few of the old PIIIs in office which our Infrastructure dept is rather sentimental about; they are used by the PAs. Runs fine on them. Google Office also works just fine.

This would have been designed more as a web device: emails and browsing, and for kids games / learning. One wouldn't expect it to be used for business / professional purposes.
Old 16th February 2008, 17:26   #4
JPL
BHPian

I would say go for it !!

The specs are pretty decent for Email and CMS, of course first buy one and check it out and then probably go for more.
Old 16th February 2008, 18:16   #5
BHPian

Except for hdd, its same as my stupid nonsense acer laptop.
6K INR, go for it!
Old 16th February 2008, 19:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Business computers should have some leeway to expanded their functionalities- this is real cost saving wherein the next needed upgrade (when it comes) is seamless and cheap without having to buy new PCs. If cost is the primary consideration, I'd suggest asembled PCs.

Products such as Intel Dot Station are ideally targetted at those segments where scalability, uptime and business implications arent considerations
Old 16th February 2008, 20:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would jump at the chance of this for RS6,000. I have something with a similar spec (but AMD) in the spare room for the kids to play on and it works fine.

Bang in a bigger HDD lying around and use it as a NAS box.

If you only need for CMS and email then this is ideal. Too many people I know go for the latest spec machines and all they do is use them for surfing the internet and messenger. What a waste of money and under utilisation of the machines capabilities.

Last edited by bigman : 16th February 2008 at 20:16.
Old 16th February 2008, 21:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

as much as i love open source, I hate OOo. Just too much bloat

do they still make P3's these days?
I wonder if they are refurb units, or ,maybe the ad/mail was dug up from 2000 ( thats seems to be the time when they were released)

PS: Thin client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia might be what you're looking for
Old 17th February 2008, 04:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems too good to be true....low specs but who cares if all it is goin to be used for is sending emails or typing letter. would be a great investment for certain office staff.
GTO- Can you give me the bombay dealers number? Also any mention of warranty?
Old 17th February 2008, 22:05   #10
BHPian

Sahil, This includes their contact information. My only concern is, how long will this box last? I can't afford any computer downtime in the office.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Configuration looks great for 6000 Rs. This really would be steal if its available.
Office and Email should work fine on this machine. I used a Celeron based system with 128 SD RAM all through my Engineering, and never felt it to be slow!

Last edited by safari_lover : 18th February 2008 at 11:36.
Old 18th February 2008, 13:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

hi gto and others,

this intel pc is for sale in hyd from a long time, the hyd's distributor : 'Big apple' (near paradise) just reduced it's price to around Rs 3500 a few weeks back, he's been selling this model from a long time in hyderbad, it's been almost close to 4 years from when am seeing his ads in the paper wrt to this pc, never posted cos i assumed this to be some old intel model whose leftover stocks this guy might haved picked up.

his last ad was on last sat in the local newspaper "deccan chronicle" , will try to scan it and post it up.

Last edited by aadix : 18th February 2008 at 13:15.
Old 18th February 2008, 13:36   #13
BHPian

In Kolkata new papers there are ad's about this comp where the price is quoted as Rs 6995, but available at 60% discount, so the buy price is Rs 3495, I'm also curious to know what this dot station can do.
Old 18th February 2008, 13:43   #14
RAC
BHPian

I have seen a few courier guys using this comp. Seems good for the price. I am sure it will work since my home PC has lower config than this :-( and my home PC works just fine.
Old 18th February 2008, 13:46   #15
BHPian

What a 'Nano' of a comp!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks