Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2007, 01:39   #1
BHPian

Good Stereo System for Music?

Hi Friends,
Thought of posting in Home theater thread, then realised mine requirements are somewhat different.Been around on this forum what all the time in ICE section, so now after been beaten by ICE bug,it's time for Home Audio.
Looking for:-
I need (not want) a system for home listening NO MOVIES what so ever!, music will be played from Computer or ipod no cd player required.Room dimensions are medium but will consider future upgradation of room in account.System needs to be bass friendly,i am not an AUDIOPHILLE and blessed with ears to die for,but my system should produce pleasent sound on moderate to high volumes(Not often)in a budget.
I listen to every thing it varries with mood so system shall be an allarounder.
I don't want to go for HIFI availables in market(LG,SAMSUNG,BOSE).
as i find their sound not of my taste.
My budget is 50k for whole system including the wires.
so plz friends pour in some advice for building mine system which is bass friendly!!!!
Cheers!
Old 7th October 2007, 07:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get a Pioneer/Yamaha stereo amp 12k-20k.
Pioneer/Yamaha entry level floor standers with in 15k.
A 10"/12" sub for around 12k.
Monster cables.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Get a Pioneer/Yamaha stereo amp 12k-20k.
Pioneer/Yamaha entry level floor standers with in 15k.
A 10"/12" sub for around 12k.
Monster cables.
I'm sorry but IMO, while the Pioneer and Yamaha amplifiers are decent, both brands make awful home audio speakers.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:30   #4
BHPian

Why don't you look at the JBL speakers? They have complete home theatre packages. I find them a little "disco" but they're pretty good for the price. You can pair those with a Yamaha amp. Have a listen. You might like
Old 7th October 2007, 12:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

if you want to play from your comp for music,why dont you try the Altec Lansing 2.1 or 5.1,i own a 2.1 and its really awesome and good clarity for the price.Cheers..!!!

Ramie
Old 7th October 2007, 13:17   #6
BHPian

If you are open for Indian brands , then you can audition this..

Sonodyne Sia 102 R , Home Audio > Sonus Series , Stereo amplifier ,coupled with a pair of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 + Roarr 2815 powered subwoofer . Should be around 60 K for the package.

Worth a hear.

Edit : if you can stretch a litle more, consider the Sonodyne SLF 200 A powered subwoofer Studio > SLF Series

Last edited by w 12 : 7th October 2007 at 13:27.
Old 7th October 2007, 14:10   #7
BHPian

Friends,
I think it's better to arrange the system rather then buying a speaker pacakage(Saying this for HT Package),HT packages are out of consideration as i am looking for simple two channel system.

Computer will be the source most of the time but i intend to have some good music listening exp thru this source.

I am open for all brands like Lithos (Home Page), Sanen (Sanen), Sonodyne (INDEX_0101), Torvin (Torvin Audio Systems), Pulz (pulzaudio.com), Acoustic Portrait (www.corrson.com), and Lyrita Audio (www.lyrita-audio.com) and Norge(Norge Audiophile Systems) i have heard that they are good VFM,see as it's said in ICE Section.NO brand is good or bad! and when it comes to music trust your ears!!
All i want is advice based on your listening exp as to maxmise my spendings in terms of returns!!!
And plz remember i am a bass head!!!
BTW torvin has some good speakers on papers!!!!

plz correct me if i am wrong :-w 12 are you Ron chinnoy!!!Sorry if i am wrong!
Cheers!

Last edited by Gill : 7th October 2007 at 14:22.
Old 7th October 2007, 15:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
My budget is 50k for whole system including the wires.
JBL ESC Xcite, gifts in india at rediff shopping

Anyways, since there is no place to JBL/Infinity/Harmon anywhere near, I will want to rely on experiences of people. And a small personal unbiased experience of Sameer Ji also.....

Anyways, hey Gill, I dont know about Chandigarh, but if you can drive to Ludhiana, you can check brands like Cambridge Audio, Sonodyne, Cadence, Onkyo at their official dealer.

Check for COCOZ in this list.

Quote:
Cheers!
You stand corrected then.

I wouldnt be expecting Dear Mr. Chinoy in this ICE section.

Anyways, here is his ID just in case.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/chinoy.html

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 7th October 2007 at 15:53.
Old 7th October 2007, 15:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
JBL ESC Xcite, gifts in india at rediff shopping

Anyways, since there is no place to JBL/Infinity/Harmon anywhere near, I will want to rely on experiences of people. And a small personal unbiased experience of Sameer Ji also.....

Anyways, hey Gill, I dont know about Chandigarh, but if you can drive to Ludhiana, you can check brands like Cambridge Audio, Sonodyne, Cadence, Onkyo at their official dealer.
Rajat my budget is around 50k,Brands like Cadence and Cambridge will be simply out of reach,Cadence bookshelf cost around 45k ahahhhaaa.
i read about few INDIAN brands that are good value for money.
and i don't have a huge budget.Bhai 50 K mein kam chalana hai.....
Old 7th October 2007, 16:00   #10
BHPian

Was just stating the names for reference dear.
You can also pick up a particular component fromtheir range if it suites your taste and budget.

Baaaki, only a listening session can tell more.
Old 7th October 2007, 16:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers!
Sorry. I am not. The setup I mentioned is one I was using till very recently.( with the SLF 200 Sub) . SLF 200 sub even has a remote to change the frequency/ volume settings of the sub. I found the whole thing VFM and as good as any imported brand. The SLF 200 can kickout some serious bass. Now the system is packed back in its boxes as my house is going through renovation / painting.

Audition the same with your favourite music and then take a call.
Old 7th October 2007, 16:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Sonodyne Sia 102 R
This amp has a pre-out so you can connect a powered sub. But then, do stereo amps normally have a pre-out? Also, I guess most would not come with a sub-out either?

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Norge is pretty good. Do they cost more than Sonodyne?

Personally, if I were to go for a stereo setup, I'd look at a good amp + 2 good towers.
Old 7th October 2007, 17:57   #13
BHPian

@shuvc - Norge is cheaper than Sonodyne. I liked the sound of sonodyne better. Besides they have their own service centre in Bangalore. Not sure about Norge.

I think most of the stereo amps will have pre out for the sub woofer., at this price point.

I also started with amp + 2 tower speakers . But added the subwoofer later. IMO, a good sub can add lot of depth , even in 2 channels. ( e.g , in Christina aguileras "hurt " with the sub on., the cello, viola and the contrabass, make a glorious symphony) My personal opinion. I am sure many will disagree.
Old 7th October 2007, 20:31   #14
BHPian

It would be good if price are also posted along with the products as it makes life easier.
Has anybody used Norge 1000 amp it gives out 125w per channel.
W 12 i being from chandigarh,i don't have much opp to audition different brands,thoug there is a shop but that guy keeps high eng brands which are way way out of my pocket.
@W 12 will audition sonodyne soon,it will be great help if u share ur exp bit more with sonodyne

What about Torvin and Sanen????Any reviews
Old 7th October 2007, 21:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have a pair of Yamaha floor standers & they are awesome, there is really no need for a sub. A decent amplifier with these kind of speakers would do a lot better than a setup with a sub,IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks